blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 07:18:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272713 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Computer Problem, any ideas?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Computer Problem, any ideas?  (Read 1083 times)
CRIPPIN

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2007, 11:23:34 AM »

I have a PC that will not start up, it goes through all the normal loading procedures then just at the point when it would normally bring up the desktop it shuts dowm again. Someone has tried to start it 'safe mode' but that didn't work.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

veritas lux mea
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 11:43:16 AM »

What is everyone doing to their computers? Four threads in a row about them (albeit one is just a memory upgrade).

What messages did you get when it was started in safe mode? Did this problem just come out of nowhere or was the computer doing anything strange before? When you say 'shuts down again' does it actually turn itself completely off or doe it restart?
Squid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 11:44:07 AM »

if you are running XP and have a XP cd then you can boot to the cd room drive and use a repair option,  if you can not get Safe mode its bad
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 11:51:55 AM »

Start it up and tap F8 constantly, you will get a black and white screen with a list of options, choose "last known good configuration" (or words to that effect).

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 11:57:11 AM »

What is everyone doing to their computers? Four threads in a row about them (albeit one is just a memory upgrade).

I think it's the mssive increase in adaware and spyware plus a lot of the mozilla based applications (which basically anyone can write plugins for) that can play havoc with systems.
Many spyware adaware programs just cannot keep up with all the probem files especially as cookies can host them, i think cookies will go the way of macros where nobody will trust them anymore.

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
CRIPPIN

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 12:14:28 PM »

ok, just fired it up again, windows loaded but there was a message saying basically that the system had jusr recovered from a major problem.

programs were accessable and I started AVG scan but afeter a couple of minutes it turned itself off.

i was wrong about safe mode, it is possible to get in but it's the same as running in normal.

veritas lux mea
LLevan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 01:17:23 PM »

ok, just fired it up again, windows loaded but there was a message saying basically that the system had jusr recovered from a major problem.

programs were accessable and I started AVG scan but afeter a couple of minutes it turned itself off.

i was wrong about safe mode, it is possible to get in but it's the same as running in normal.
Could be a problem with the hard drive having a corrupt sector or something you have downloaded possibly without knowing it. I would suggest doing a system restore and go back at least a week.
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 02:47:06 PM »

get a hoover on the vent grill at the back, it might just be overheating (seriously).
4KingNutz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 03:11:23 PM »

I had this problem about a year ago took into the shop and he gave me a new power supply and that sorted it may not be but its worth a try costs about 30-40 pound.

Nutzzzz
CRIPPIN

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 04:00:19 PM »

Thanks for all your help, we may be getting somewhere.
I have cleaned the grill behind the fan as it was clogged up with dust! Turned computer on but same problem but I notice that it was very hot, my son somehow got the temperature level up showing 63 degrees.

I have now put an office fan blowing onto the computer and the temperature has come down to about 50 and when the computer turns itself off now it actually reboots instead of closing down - progress I hope!!

When it starts up a message shos that it is unable to locate IPwins - is that relevant?

veritas lux mea
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 04:28:02 PM »

a quick google tells you that ipwins is malware and should be got rid of.

My friend had a similar problem with the overheating and we opened it up and gave it a good clean inside and it worked after that.
RichEO

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 07:29:52 PM »

Reinstall Windows if you can. It will rule out any software issues and then you definately know it's a hardware problem if it's still doing it. Every PC benefits from a nice format now and then anyway, so it's not a waste of time if it doesn't solve the problem.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: