blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 08:16:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272658 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Which is correct?
Poll
Question: Where does the comma go?
"Don't waste another minute," says Bannatyne - 15 (27.8%)
"Don't waste another minute", says Bannatyne - 39 (72.2%)
Total Voters: 54

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which is correct?  (Read 5183 times)
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 12:58:46 PM »

No need to consult google, random books, or anything else.

The comma belongs outside of the quote. Unless, of course, Mr Bannantyne used it, in which case it belongs inside.

The inverted commas are intended to faithfully repeat what was said, or written. So it could be either - but it must reflect what was originally said or written.

the trouble is we don't know what follows.  Should there be a full stop after 'bannatyne' or does he go on to complete a sentence?  if the latter, are you happy with the comma inside the quotes?

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 01:00:15 PM »

what's the answer then MW?

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 01:00:33 PM »

It was a newsletter headline - technically it should have a full stop at the end but the convention is to leave them out

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 01:01:12 PM »

The comma belongs outside of the quote. Unless, of course, Mr Bannantyne used it, in which case it belongs inside.

The inverted commas are intended to faithfully repeat what was said, or written. So it could be either - but it must reflect what was originally said or written.

Agree with this.  Like I said, it depends...

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 01:02:52 PM »

the trouble is we don't know what follows.  Should there be a full stop after 'bannatyne' or does he go on to complete a sentence?  if the latter, are you happy with the comma inside the quotes?

It's irrelevant. The quoter DOES know what followed, as he quoted it.

If there was a comma originally, then it's inside. If not, it's outside.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 01:04:12 PM »

the trouble is we don't know what follows.  Should there be a full stop after 'bannatyne' or does he go on to complete a sentence?  if the latter, are you happy with the comma inside the quotes?

Unless it's the daily mail or the sun.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 01:05:06 PM »

It was a newsletter headline - technically it should have a full stop at the end but the convention is to leave them out

I probably wouldn't have used a comma at all in that case

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 01:07:26 PM »

what's the answer then MW?

3 magazine editors said the comma should be inside (and generally google does also), and the 2 IT people (me and my boss) said it should be outside.

So that didn't look promising - but we have greater resources than that to draw on, we asked someone studying for an English degree at Kings College, London what she thought. Her first instinct was that it should be outside; but she checked her textbook (written by one of her professors) - and that agreed, the comma should be outside.

I think it was pretty much as was suggested, there is a difference between the American and English convention, but because American is so pervasive that's the rule that people will find if they look it up online.

- and more broadly, what Tikay said is why the American's are wrong (unless their is some odd reason why the comma actually was part of what was originally said - but if that was the case then it should have '...' after it, so it'd still have been wrong)

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 01:11:25 PM »

Unless it's the Daily Mail or the Sun.

FYP.

Please, Dan, on a thread about grammatical pedantry, even though we have a healthy & mutual lack of respect for those two odious organs, we should write their title correctly.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 01:13:17 PM »

Don't suppose she has a spare copy of that textbook thrown about?  Knew my teachers were mostly rubbish.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 01:15:07 PM »

Unless it's the daily fail or the scum.

FYP.

Please, Dan, on a thread about grammatical pedantry, even though we have a healthy & mutual lack of respect for those two odious organs, we should write their title correctly.

fyfyp

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 01:15:16 PM »

I voted after, but on thinking about it I really don't see the need for a comma in that sentence.

And this comes from a massive overuser of the comma.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2010, 01:15:36 PM »

Don't suppose she has a spare copy of that textbook thrown about?  Knew my teachers were mostly rubbish.

I don't suppose she has a copy of that textbook I could borrow, does she? I knew my teachers were for the most part rubbish.

Fixed your post, Dawn.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2010, 01:17:41 PM »

Don't suppose she has a spare copy of that textbook thrown about?  Knew my teachers were mostly rubbish.

I don't suppose she has a copy of that textbook I could borrow, does she? I knew my teachers were for the most part rubbish.

Fixed your post, Dawn.

could use a couple of commas tbf.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2010, 01:19:04 PM »

I voted after, but on thinking about it I really don't see the need for a comma in that sentence.

And this comes from a massive overuser of the comma.

The real twist is that, not only is the comma in the wrong place, and not only (as you and Claire have pointed out) is there no need for the comma to start with, but Bannatyne didn't even use those words. They paraphrased him - i.e. they shouldn't have been using quotes either Grin

Laxie's teacher's may have been rubbish - but not as rubbish as journalists are

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: