blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 02:32:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272682 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 624 625 626 627 [628] 629 630 631 632 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2211917 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #9405 on: June 06, 2017, 03:35:00 PM »

"but I can just ask about some uncommon narrow aspect that is intended to throw you off."

you can

but she was asked about a report from last year by a Labour peer commissioned by Sadiq Khan in the area that in a few days time she will be in charge of, she hopes.

didn't seem to have a clue about it, what was in it or how even to bluff about it

Not exactly a topic off the beaten track!

if he had wanted to twist the knife he could have made up a recommendation from it, asked her about it, got the waffle response and then gone "ta-da,i made that bit up, gotcha"

probably took a will of iron not to

--

then you had andrew mitchell, tory, not knowing what the minimum wage was this morning (victoria derbyshire show), karen mitchell, tory, floundering on police numbers this morning (breakfast interview). both on the bbc

I am incredulous how under-prepared these people are

yeh my second bit was about how I can and never will defend Diane. I just mean in general whilst you could expect certain questions it's easy to nitpick and expect exact figures when knowledge of that doesn't mean anything more than they learnt the numbers. Its not proof they understand the problem or have any interest in solving it. It's similar to the failings of our education system, teaching people to pass tests instead of educating them.

Andrew Mitchell seems to have done an Abbot here    -

https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/872053352296833024

Yah, the kerfuff over not knowing specific numbers is so dumb. Tbh, who of us really cares if something is gonna cost 3 billis, 5 or 7. It doesn't mean anything that we can actually relate to.

Politics should be about vision and philosophy and it should be enough to say that we intend to raise tax/cut tax - spend more/less in real terms on x, y or z - reduce immigration, allow it to float based on demand, we're happy to run with a  deficit of around (insert number here) so we get a sense of what the parties represent - the detail is really irrelevant and stops debate on a higher plane.

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #9406 on: June 06, 2017, 03:39:47 PM »

Anyway, Tighters, enthusiastically packing your holiday suitcase yet ? In case you'd forgotten, it's coming upon Thursday I think,

sola virtus nobilitat
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #9407 on: June 06, 2017, 03:49:30 PM »

The thing that worries me is that every time I see almost ANY politician interviewed on tv, the interviewer seems to know more than they do.

it really is the case that there is far more talent outside the cabinet/shad cab than there is in it, at the moment

Yep, Tories need to go for  Mogg/Gove dream ticket - I mean it, I really like Gove

Labour should get Balls back and go with him and the northern chavy girl that I can't understand but she sounds so confident

Ahh....you mean The Shadow Education Secretary  Smiley
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9408 on: June 06, 2017, 03:49:54 PM »

Anyway, Tighters, enthusiastically packing your holiday suitcase yet ? In case you'd forgotten, it's coming upon Thursday I think,

all packed and leaving you all to it from tomorrow.

I trust everyone who contributes will keep it going while i am gone, post the results up, and good articles/tables/charts and whatever happens...?

Its not important in any real sense of course, but I/we are quite proud of this thread.

Don't think there has been a post deleted off it for well over a year, all sorts of views are aired from all sorts of political persuasions, no one really falls out and compared to some discussions you see, its at a high level

Over to you guys. If its a hung parliament then the thread can continue its great record of covering the unexpected from 2015 onwards!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9409 on: June 06, 2017, 03:51:53 PM »

Don't think there has been a post deleted off it for well over a year

Challenge accepted
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9410 on: June 06, 2017, 04:04:45 PM »

I trust everyone who contributes will keep it going while i am gone, post the results up, and good articles/tables/charts and whatever happens...?

Its not important in any real sense of course, but I/we are quite proud of this thread.

Don't think there has been a post deleted off it for well over a year, all sorts of views are aired from all sorts of political persuasions, no one really falls out and compared to some discussions you see, its at a high level

Over to you guys. If its a hung parliament then the thread can continue its great record of covering the unexpected from 2015 onwards!

without being a massive knob ( like usual boom boom, what would I know about big knobs etc yaya funny funny)  most of us play a game for money that requires logical decision making and questioning our own thoughts, this puts us in a much better position than 99% of gen pop. and even then you can still see some really shallow self-centered opinions. when you compare this thread to the content of similar topics elsewhere the difference is immense.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #9411 on: June 06, 2017, 04:07:01 PM »

Challenge accepted

You have no chance you big poo*.

* true story, I got a "sorry for saying you a poo" card from my 5 year old daughter the other day.  I think it was my favourite card ever.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #9412 on: June 06, 2017, 04:07:35 PM »

The thing that worries me is that every time I see almost ANY politician interviewed on tv, the interviewer seems to know more than they do.

it really is the case that there is far more talent outside the cabinet/shad cab than there is in it, at the moment

Yep, Tories need to go for  Mogg/Gove dream ticket - I mean it, I really like Gove

Labour should get Balls back and go with him and the northern chavy girl that I can't understand but she sounds so confident

Ahh....you mean The Shadow Education Secretary  Smiley

Haha, incred, really couldn't remember her name off the top of my head but that's the one :-)

sola virtus nobilitat
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9413 on: June 06, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »

Challenge accepted

You have no chance you big poo*.

* true story, I got a "sorry for saying you a poo" card from my 5 year old daughter the other day.  I think it was my favourite card ever.

you should definitely frame this and hang it in the toilet or somewhere to make you laugh regularly.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #9414 on: June 06, 2017, 04:11:30 PM »

Enjoy your break Tighty.  I would just like to say a personal thanks for collecting and posting all of the daily links/data/graphs etc from all the sources you read.  I appreciate you love the game and would read them all anyway but posting them makes this thread first read material for me (and many others i would assume) every morning for the last few weeks.  Definitely has helped me make a few quid punting on the election as well.
JohnCharver

View Profile
« Reply #9415 on: June 06, 2017, 06:10:47 PM »

Wonder how much closer it would be if JC had the full support of the more centrist MPs in the party for the last 18 months....

or that they'd win comfortably with Yvette as Shadow Home Sec? or xyz as leader (minus all the past security/terror view concerns)?

might not have the same manifesto or the same appeal to young/ non-voters but would get more marginal voters turned off by abbott/security views etc?

we don' t know, all hypothetical

Do you not think that labour under there centre lefts, who tended to be their big remainers, would have risked firing off the lib dem route and getting routed good and proper? The amazing act of this election is the labour manifesto dragging the fight from a head on fight over brexit, where the tories were going to rip them to shreds with no backup from remainers to a fight the tories werent ready for and have had no answers for other than to try to tear it down. I cant imagine a manifesto like this under anyone else. As Im not the first to bring up the nazis, the manifesto is the offensive answer to the brexit maginot line.

The best result of the election will be if young voters are to come out in big numbers, regardless of the result, tired of our elections being dictated by the old, the ones who dont have to endure it on all levels.

Enjoy your holiday, the thread is a credit to you.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 06:20:27 PM by JohnCharver » Logged
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9416 on: June 06, 2017, 06:20:44 PM »

I'm guessing something MENTAL will happen on election day, like House of Cards, Donald Trump, somebody losing all the polling cards, video of Corbyn or May calling the electorate slags, mental.

And Tighty will be miles away missing it all, or on here ruining his holiday.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #9417 on: June 06, 2017, 06:25:34 PM »

Wonder how much closer it would be if JC had the full support of the more centrist MPs in the party for the last 18 months....

or that they'd win comfortably with Yvette as Shadow Home Sec? or xyz as leader (minus all the past security/terror view concerns)?

might not have the same manifesto or the same appeal to young/ non-voters but would get more marginal voters turned off by abbott/security views etc?

Do you not think that labour under there centre lefts, who tended to be their big remainers, would have risked firing off the lib dem route and getting routed good and proper? The amazing act of this election is the labour manifesto dragging the fight from a head on fight over brexit, where the tories were going to rip them to shreds with no backup from remainers to a fight the tories werent ready for and have had no answers for other than to try to tear it down. I cant imagine a manifesto like this under anyone else. As Im not the first to bring up the nazis, the manifesto is the offensive answer to the brexit maginot line.

The best result of the election will be if young voters are to come out in big numbers, regardless of the result, tired of our elections being dictated by the old, the ones who dont have to endure it on all levels.

Of course we will never know.

We don't know why Labour has made this so close when the Tories had a poll lead of over 20% when the election was called.

Is it down to genuine enthusiasm for JCs leadership and policies, or is it down to Theresa revealling just how useless and without vision she and her cabinet are?

If it's the latter, then it's fairly clear Labour would have won this election under Yvette Cooper (although it probably wouldn't have taken place if she was Labour Leader tbh).

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9418 on: June 06, 2017, 06:28:46 PM »

Enjoy your break Tighty.  I would just like to say a personal thanks for collecting and posting all of the daily links/data/graphs etc from all the sources you read.  I appreciate you love the game and would read them all anyway but posting them makes this thread first read material for me (and many others i would assume) every morning for the last few weeks.  Definitely has helped me make a few quid punting on the election as well.

Yes,thanks Tighty and enjoy the break.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
JohnCharver

View Profile
« Reply #9419 on: June 06, 2017, 06:42:58 PM »

Of course we will never know.

We don't know why Labour has made this so close when the Tories had a poll lead of over 20% when the election was called.

Is it down to genuine enthusiasm for JCs leadership and policies, or is it down to Theresa revealling just how useless and without vision she and her cabinet are?

If it's the latter, then it's fairly clear Labour would have won this election under Yvette Cooper (although it probably wouldn't have taken place if she was Labour Leader tbh).

Well think we can safely say they dont call the election.

Labour cabinet are equally tripe though so you have to apportion at least some credit to policy/voters warming to corbyn (his approvals going up this isnt necessarily linked to Mays reducing).
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 626 627 [628] 629 630 631 632 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: