blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 03:53:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272716 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2394 2395 2396 2397 [2398] 2399 2400 2401 2402 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6365371 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35955 on: October 28, 2013, 03:07:28 PM »

Having considered it further, I think I agree with your 'coffee tastes better out of a cardboard costa cup' theory.

AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35956 on: October 28, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »

What the hell is going on here? I haven't read Mr Kay's diary for a while and I flick through a couple of pages and he's talking about being pregnant, posting hardcore pingu clips and there is talk of a coffee chain that isn't starbucks. WHAT IS GOING ON?!
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #35957 on: October 28, 2013, 05:52:09 PM »

"The ovarian shuffle". Excellent.

I will be stealing that.

I stole it, with a slight amendment, from a Gent called Warren Buffett.

He constantly refers to the fact he was born into a society that perfectly suited his skillsets & enabled him to become successful & wealthy to an unbelievable degree.

His point was that if he had been born in, say, Finland, Tonga, Bangladesh or Fiji, life would not have turned out for him the way it did.

He called it the ovarian lottery.

I wonder if it's really true of Mr Buffet and other successful people though? (Bearing in mind success and wealth are not synonymous). Perhaps his real skillset is adapting to the situation and overcoming difficulties.

I'm sure he would have been successful wherever he was born, but only in THAT Country, at THAT time, ciuld he have been so stunningly succesful, everything just fitted perfectly.

Imagine how different your life had been if you had been born in, say, Peru, or Kazahkstan.

And it really brings us back neatly to Alex really. Everything sort of fitted nicely for him. Have to say, though, I don't have an ounce, iota, or scintilla of jealousy or resentment to him for that, & I find it very odd that anyone would or could be resentful of anyone who does well for themself, silver spoon or not. We inhabit a very odd world.  
What about if he was sent to a different school as a child? It seems very presumptuous to conclude that you were just born in the right place and time (although acknowledging this is more than most famous/successful people do) when everything else has an element of luck too. What is his parents abused him? I mean the ovarian lottery makes sense but what about every other variable? I feel like he is still vastly underestimating the "luck" he has had.

edit: I didn't want to spam alex's diary with this, poor fella gets a beep every time someone posts!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 09:46:16 PM by rfgqqabc » Logged

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35958 on: October 28, 2013, 06:03:15 PM »

Coffee in a Starbucks mug>>>>>>coffee in any other container.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #35959 on: October 28, 2013, 06:32:49 PM »

presumably this would be coffee that isn't the Starbucks blend then?

The only reason anyone finds their coffee palatable is because 99% of their customers fill most of their mugs with milk, the actual coffee blend is atrocious.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #35960 on: October 28, 2013, 07:19:31 PM »

The only reason anyone finds their coffee palatable is because 99% of their customers fill most of their mugs with milk, the actual coffee blend is atrocious.

Pike Place is pretty fine IMHO

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35961 on: October 28, 2013, 07:49:17 PM »

I actually find it nicer than costa. Seems to be a more bitter taste to their coffee.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #35962 on: October 29, 2013, 07:03:39 AM »

Starbucks > Costa but that is of course a matter of personal taste.

Does your taste in aeroplanes extend to the military Tikay, Sir. Some of these are rather artful...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-24672979

theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #35963 on: October 29, 2013, 10:01:35 AM »

I think you're wrong on both counts!!!!

Grin
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #35964 on: October 29, 2013, 11:10:29 AM »

Grin

But you probably think Subway is a food shop

theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #35965 on: October 29, 2013, 11:12:05 AM »

Italian BMT tho......
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35966 on: October 29, 2013, 01:09:18 PM »

Grin

I remember watching a TV show about Raymond Blanc. He did a blind taste test with his staff to prove expensive chocolate is better. They all preferred the Dairy Milk. His response? "Well you're all wrong." It was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

I'm generally a bit of a coffee snob, but at times only a Starbucks will do.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35967 on: October 29, 2013, 01:49:36 PM »

Grin

I remember watching a TV show about Raymond Blanc. He did a blind taste test with his staff to prove expensive chocolate is better. They all preferred the Dairy Milk. His response? "Well you're all wrong." It was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

I get a little testy when folks say THIS or THAT is the best Coffee/Burger/Mobile Phone, & yet we see it every day on blonde. 

We may or may not like Starbucks, but to say it is "bad", or even as I saw yesterday, "atrocious" is a bit weird. It's not any of those things, but as individuals, we may or may not detest it, or like it. That does not make it good or bad though.

I've become addicted to "Garage Coffee", which is usually Costa, but I like "Nero", too.  For some weird reason, when I'm in Vegas, it has to be Starbys though.

I have another bad coffee-based addiction, too - I can only drink it in those cartons it comes in, not proper cups. It's my comfort cloth, & I have one with me pretty much all the time, I feel sort of deprived if I don't have one with me, especially in the car. My drive to work in the morning is 8 miles, but I can't seem to do it without a Garage Costa.

Dread to think how much I've spent on Garage Coffee in the last 10 years, I rarely have less then 3 per day. The cheapest for a large Garage Costa is £2.30, but on a Motorway they are usually £2.99, & I saw one was charging £3.30 last week. £3.30, good Lord!

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35968 on: October 29, 2013, 02:06:33 PM »

Grin

I get a little testy when folks say THIS or THAT is the best Coffee/Burger/Mobile Phone, & yet we see it every day on blonde. 

We may or may not like Starbucks, but to say it is "bad", or even as I saw yesterday, "atrocious" is a bit weird. It's not any of those things, but as individuals, we may or may not detest it, or like it. That does not make it good or bad though.

There are some things that are good or bad, such as foods made of entirely artificial material etc. But in general I totally agree with this point.

My least favourite thing at the moment are food critics who use the word 'challenging' as a term of praise for food. Challenging! It's FOOD. We need it to live. It's not supposed to be challenging. How decadent have we become. Cue Chris Rock...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XivoORVIRNc
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35969 on: October 29, 2013, 02:17:35 PM »

Grin

There are some things that are good or bad, such as foods made of entirely artificial material etc. But in general I totally agree with this point.

My least favourite thing at the moment are food critics who use the word 'challenging' as a term of praise for food. Challenging! It's FOOD. We need it to live. It's not supposed to be challenging. How decadent have we become. Cue Chris Rock...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XivoORVIRNc

Drinking a pint of spinach water would be "challenging"........

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 ... 2394 2395 2396 2397 [2398] 2399 2400 2401 2402 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: