blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 06:44:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272671 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: Aledkanny
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  General Fighting thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: General Fighting thread  (Read 162311 times)
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2007, 12:56:20 PM »

haven't watched the cagerage yet. got that to do this afternoon

dont bother Adam                  yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2007, 03:19:49 PM »

Cant believe the Crocop fight, he saw the kick coming!!!!!

There is talk over at Sherdog of foul play to "create a new star" out of gonzaga to boost the HW division and although it is plausible since its good business for Crocop for a rematch and then the title shot in his remaining fights on his deal I doubt Crocop is the type of guy to take a dive.

I dont think Gonzaga was hurting him much on the ground, Crocop defended it really well but Gonzaga got the takedown too easily.  The ankle turn was sick!!!

sorry, cant agree with any of that (except the ankle turn)

he didn't see it coming. he dropped his arms to defend what he though would be a body kick. then got sparked out.
The heavyweight division doesn't need boosting. it's got the best fighters in the world in it and if anything, UFC could be accused of fast-tracking Crocop when Arlovski probably deserves the shot at Couture more.

Crocop was getting hurt on the ground. a bad cut was starting to open up on his hairline and those forearms hurt alot.

The suggestion that the fight might be fixed to boost ratings of a sport that already outsells boxing on PPV is frankly daft. What we have here is a lot of people on the web have been giving it "Pride pwns UFC" and  "Crocop will destroy UFC fighters" and a relative UFC nobody has knocked him out. Couture would have finished it even quicker on the ground and Crocop needs to sort his takedown defence before he fights for the title. He's an awsome fighter but he's not invincible.

as for the Cage Rage, I thought it was ok. there's a huge gulf between that and UFC at the minute but it's vastly improved on only 5 years ago. It was a shame about alex Reids injury because he's a good fighter and that would have been a good bout.
Zikic looked hopeless in round 1 but showed some bottle to grind out a win. He'll need more than Jesus on his side when he fight Vitor Belfort though. He's a different gravy and will make light work of Zikic. Reid might be able to give Belfort a fight at a later date..
Tank Abbot hit Gary Turner HARD but after the opening 2 minutes there was only going to be one result. I still dont know anything more about Gary Turner other than the fact he's no quitter.

I'm optimistic that Cage Rage will keep improving but there's a long way to go.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 03:22:01 PM by AdamM » Logged
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2007, 02:51:17 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkhxIa8qV_w

happening tonight, we get it on Bravo (sky 121) tomorrow night

come on chuck

Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2007, 10:06:19 PM »

come on chuck

ill never ever want chuck to get beat, he is awesome, but i do think that being a champion this long (2 years) can make a man (anyman) a little complacent.......for chuck's sake...and for mine, i truely hope that im wrong....

....Come on Iceman avenge that lose, and retire a true legend of this underestimated sport!

Click to see full-size image.

Last Man Standing 2 - Champion!!               The Shrewdie's!!
Canuck
Knightsridge @ the tables

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2007, 02:37:28 AM »

come on chuck

UFC is massive back home and the buildup to this fight is insane. I have watched a lot of pre match stuff on the Jackson and Liddell fight and I think Jackson will win. Nothing against Liddell, he is an amazing fighter (and I wont be surprised if he wins) but if I had to choose, I go with Rampage Jackson.

knightsridge.blogspot.com
Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2007, 12:16:24 AM »

Nice call, Canuck!

Gutted tho!

Click to see full-size image.

Last Man Standing 2 - Champion!!               The Shrewdie's!!
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2007, 12:43:31 PM »

Watched the video on youtube.  Liddell is seemingly unhappy about the ref stopping it but looks the correct decision to me.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2007, 01:22:08 PM »

yeah, he was unconscious, if only for a second.

Chuck's going to have to look at his game. the very characteristics that make him difficult to fight (the odd guard, over hand rights and looping left hooks) seem to be what makes Jackson effective against him. If chuck lands with one of those shots Jackson goes down same as anyone, but his tight guard and powerful short punching are always going be be a problem for chuck. I see him kicking hell out of Jacksons legs from the opening bell next time.

Leben and Jardine also let me down. Karo Parisian was the only fight I picked right in a 4 fight accumulator. I thought Leben won his easily and the judges got it wrong but Jardine got pummeled so no doubt there.

On a side note, amused me when Din Thomas laid down that challenge.
"Where's Mayweather? All these boxers talking shit. I'm the MF to fight. Step up!"
Din is a UFC light weight which is 155lb
that's roughly equivalent to the boxing middle weight (a touch under).
ideal match up too. I think a skillful ju-jitsu practitioner with good enough striking to stand with a boxer would be a great show of superiority in the cage.
To put on MMA v Boxing, there's no point putting an MMA striker in but someone like Din Thomas or even better BJ Penn would be great.
The PPV would be massive too.
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2007, 06:29:33 PM »

yeah, he was unconscious, if only for a second.

Chuck's going to have to look at his game. the very characteristics that make him difficult to fight (the odd guard, over hand rights and looping left hooks) seem to be what makes Jackson effective against him. If chuck lands with one of those shots Jackson goes down same as anyone, but his tight guard and powerful short punching are always going be be a problem for chuck. I see him kicking hell out of Jacksons legs from the opening bell next time.

Leben and Jardine also let me down. Karo Parisian was the only fight I picked right in a 4 fight accumulator. I thought Leben won his easily and the judges got it wrong but Jardine got pummeled so no doubt there.

On a side note, amused me when Din Thomas laid down that challenge.
"Where's Mayweather? All these boxers talking shit. I'm the MF to fight. Step up!"
Din is a UFC light weight which is 155lb
that's roughly equivalent to the boxing middle weight (a touch under).
ideal match up too. I think a skillful ju-jitsu practitioner with good enough striking to stand with a boxer would be a great show of superiority in the cage.
To put on MMA v Boxing, there's no point putting an MMA striker in but someone like Din Thomas or even better BJ Penn would be great.
The PPV would be massive too.
Only an insane boxer would do it.  None of the boxing organisations would let one of their champions or contenders go near the UFC and any boxer wanting to retain his boxing career wouldnt go near it, they must know that unless they connect early with a big punch theyre doomed to go down and tap.

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2007, 08:12:07 PM »

but at the end of the day, money talks and UFC is getting more PPV than boxing. The take up on, for example Mayweather V Liddell (the first fighter Mayweather started bad mouthing) would be a stagering. not a good choice as chuck fights at 205lb (14st 9lb). isn't mayweather fighting at 11st7lb. I know I've always said size isn't the be all an end all in Martial arts but in the cage/ring you don't want to give up 4st if you can help it He'd be better against a lightweight of welterweight

All the bad blood has been coming from the Boxing side. UFC has been happy to co-exist with boxing but some of the queensbury boys seem determined to engage in a war of words about the relative merits of the two disciplines.

It's not across the board there are many Boxers and MMA fighters who train together, most notably De La Hoya has been training with Diego Sanchez and I'm sure when Golden boy goes into retirement his promotion business will start playing a big role in MMA managements aswell as boxing.

Boba Fett is right though. in a cage it's only going one way. In a ring it could go either way. The top, most well rounded MMA guys have boxing coaches and train their striking very seriously. they can stand and trade in a ring. add to that the kicking, the Thai elbows and knees, the  Greco-Roman wrestling and the Ju-Jitsu and it's an argument boxers don't want to get into.

AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2007, 09:53:13 PM »

Dana White, UFC president

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvDAeosvDNw
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2007, 10:02:05 PM »

but at the end of the day, money talks and UFC is getting more PPV than boxing. The take up on, for example Mayweather V Liddell (the first fighter Mayweather started bad mouthing) would be a stagering. not a good choice as chuck fights at 205lb (14st 9lb). isn't mayweather fighting at 11st7lb. I know I've always said size isn't the be all an end all in Martial arts but in the cage/ring you don't want to give up 4st if you can help it He'd be better against a lightweight of welterweight

All the bad blood has been coming from the Boxing side. UFC has been happy to co-exist with boxing but some of the queensbury boys seem determined to engage in a war of words about the relative merits of the two disciplines.

It's not across the board there are many Boxers and MMA fighters who train together, most notably De La Hoya has been training with Diego Sanchez and I'm sure when Golden boy goes into retirement his promotion business will start playing a big role in MMA managements aswell as boxing.

Boba Fett is right though. in a cage it's only going one way. In a ring it could go either way. The top, most well rounded MMA guys have boxing coaches and train their striking very seriously. they can stand and trade in a ring. add to that the kicking, the Thai elbows and knees, the  Greco-Roman wrestling and the Ju-Jitsu and it's an argument boxers don't want to get into.

The money for a boxer V Ultimate fighter would make a staggering PPV profit, but, and lets use Mayweather as an example, what next for him once he gets into the right and gets his ass handed to him.  It would take a good few boxing matches for him to get his credibility back as a fighter.  Boxing is slowly fading away because of MMA and for one of its stars to get KTFO by a UFC star it would be disastrous for the sport.

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2007, 10:56:57 PM »

first thing to say is that Mayweathers ego would never allow him to think for a second that he'd lose. he's get in thinking he was underlining his superiority as a fighter.

secondly, as Dana White points out, Boxings problems aren't caused by UFC, they're caused by how boxing is run. appart from the suggestions of corruption and the judging fiascos that come up, there's the fact that you have four or more 'world champions' in each weight class.

When UFC started, it was a raw experiment to prove what martial arts worked and what didn't. It was brutal and was never going to be a threat to boxing. A Republican senator went after UFC and tried to shut it down completely. In order to avoid being wiped out UFC embraced alot of the best things about other combat sports like Boxing or Kickboxing.  introducing rounds and weight classes. making gloves compulsary. banning footwear. strict rules, particularly with regards stopping kicks, knees and elbows to the head grounded opponents. Judges, Doctors, better training for refs, the list goes on. As UFC became more of a combat sport, the competitors also looked to boxing as an example. The work ethic of even run of the mill amature boxers would have put proffessional martial artists to shame 15 years ago.
If Boxing is to sort itself out it needs to look the other direction to MMA and see what examples it can draw. Unification of governing bodies would be the best thing but with the money, egos and power involved I don't see it happening.

As to individual boxers/fighters proving themselves as hard men, thats pointless. Boxing isn't 'fighting' it's boxing. The reason MMA will never completely replace boxing is because at times, technically excellent fights are ugly, brutal, dirty looking things. Boxing is sometimes called the sweet science. you could never call a ground and pound cage fight that and consequently, it's not to everyones tastes.

off to watch UFC on Bravo now.
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2007, 05:31:57 PM »

Mercer VS Kimbo tomorrow  "LET'S DO THIS PLAYA" Roll Eyes

If Mercer's anywhere near is best, 40%+, he will smash Kimbo to pieces but TBH he didn't really look confident in his pre fight interview so i think he's not in good shape but could be a good little ruck, ppv i think but it should be on youtube soon after
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2007, 05:45:26 PM »

Mercer VS Kimbo tomorrow  "LET'S DO THIS PLAYA" Roll Eyes

If Mercer's anywhere near is best, 40%+, he will smash Kimbo to pieces but TBH he didn't really look confident in his pre fight interview so i think he's not in good shape but could be a good little ruck, ppv i think but it should be on youtube soon after

Almost forgot about this!  Anyone know if its available to watch online?

Watched Kimbo's latest fight on youtube and he was introducing elbows and the like, as opposed to his usually fists only approach.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 64 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: