blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 12:01:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272672 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: Aledkanny
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  General Fighting thread
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 ... 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: General Fighting thread  (Read 162342 times)
Nem

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 03, 2008, 12:53:27 AM »

Where can i get a bet on Henderson to beat Silva.   I have a feeling Henderson is going to knock him out.

Betfair have suspended this markets

Tonight was the first time I watched UFC and Silva owned him so hard.
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 03, 2008, 01:37:40 AM »

Silva would own Godzilla. BJ and GSP got skillz imo but Silva is just on a completely different level to everyone else.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 03, 2008, 11:11:02 AM »

Pretty mixed bag with my predictions this time.

Main event went the way I expected, though it was earlier than I thought. Henderson certainly had a good first round but although he probably took the points, Silva never really looked in trouble. Second round Silva found his timing and totally out classed him on their feet. He then went on to submit one of the best wrestlers in MMA. Absolutely brilliant fighter. His title as long as he wants it.

My main bet didn't come good, Yushi "isn't a finisher" Okami destroying Evan Ta inside the distance. Okami is really maturing as a fighter. My guess for the division for the rest of the year is
Franklin beats Lutter UFC 83
Bisping beats McCarthy UFC 83
Late summer
Okami gets a well deserved shot at Silva, but comes up short.
Henderson gets a go at Franklin (great fight< I'd back Franklin but it'll be a war)
Bisping gets Leben and submits him
Franklin (or Henderson) v Silva end of the year
Bisping (or Leben) v Nate Quarry winner gets title shot this time next year
TUF7 is all middle weights so the division will be bursting at the seems this time next year with new fighters.

rest of last nights card.

Sanchez by submission (1.2) yes, but tap out due to strikes
Cummo by submission (1.6) no, got wrestled out of it. Still a decent prospect for the future I think.
Gurgel by decision (1.5) yes, exactly.
Koscheck TKO (ground and pound) (1.24) yes, exactly
Kongo by TKO / KO (1.5) no, I thought it was 1 round each going into the third. Kongo had just about done enough when Herring reverse postions on the ground and dominated for the last two minutes. split decision to Herring is fair.
Arlovski KO of the night (1.29) yes, Exactly. hope he negotiates his new contract and gets back to his rightful position on the main card.
Tanner by TKO / KO (2.5) No. has two more fights to prove he's still relevant. Good luck fella.
Sakara by KO early or Leben by decision (2.84 / 1.65) No, Leben too strong for him, although Sakara did land some bombs that could have finished it
Fitch by decision (1.17) Yes
Silva by late TKO or decision (1.8 ) Yes, but earlier and more decisive than I thought

6/10 not bad but not great.

Big announcement that Mark Coleman was inducted into the hall of fame, but said he wasn't done fighting and was begging Dana White for a shot at Brock Lesnar. I don't think Coleman could have an impact on the top of the heavy weight division, but I reckon he could beat some respect into Lesnar. Get that fight ON.

Another top card. Can't remember the last bad one though.

Start thinking about UFC 83 predictions next.
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 03, 2008, 11:49:40 AM »

Is the Coleman/Lesnar fight not confirmed for UFC 86?
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 03, 2008, 11:57:38 AM »

dont know. Only heard about it last night

4 cards away seems too far for any confirmed fight, but I'm sure it's pencilled in.
thediceman

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 03, 2008, 03:05:56 PM »

Coleman stated that he was being given 5 months to train for the fight with Lesnar which would be the time of UFC 86.

Looks like a no win situation for Lesnar at yet gives more support to the idea that Dana is looking to humilate Lesnar and anybody associated with "entertainment wrestling. If Lesnar wins it will be a case of, well Coleman hasn't thought in the UFC since 1999 and is over the hill. Yet Coleman is a dangerous enough opponent and if he can reproduce his past form then he could well defeat Lesnar.

Re: UFC 82 respect to Leben who is one kid who just doesn't know the word quit and knows how to put on a show.

AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 03, 2008, 03:55:46 PM »

I thought I heard him say more like "I've begged Dana to let me back in the cage. I've told him to give me 5 months to prepare and an opponent and I'll be ready. I want Lesnar...blah blah" sounds more like trying to convince Dana or gauge reaction than an announcement.

Lesnar is in a no win situation because he hasn't got the skills to win in the octagon. full stop. he might develop them over time but he should be fighting guys in the bottom 10% of the organisation, not the top 10%. Coleman has been away from UFC a while and is definitely winding his career down, but he's been fighting all the big boys in Pride and has continued to be competitive. I still think this is out of Lesnars depth. remember Coleman invented ground and pound and wrestled at a far higher level than Lesnar.

no arguments from me about Lebens heart. I think he'll fall short of the top 5 in the division but his fights are always watchable.
thediceman

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 03, 2008, 05:39:23 PM »

Just had to check the web as I was sure the fight was announced for 5 months time.

"Apparently Coleman has been in discussions with the UFC for a while and he has confirmation for a fight in the organization in approximately 5 months.  Coleman announced that his opponent for that match will be Brock Lesnar and that the event will be in Minnesota , which happens to be home turf for Lesnar.

This should be an interesting match, with Lesnar really stepping to the plate in taking solid competition as he steps to the centre stage in MMA that is the UFC.  While Coleman has been without a fight for almost 18months, he is a real competitor.  Having faced off against Fedor Emilianenko (twice) , Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, Mirko Cro-Cop, etc…. Coleman’s experience level is second to none, even though he may be on the twilight of his career. 

A very interesting match and again a testament to the courage and commitment of Brock Lesnar as he makes the transition from pro (entertainment) Wrestling to MMA and the UFC. Where I had little interest or respect for the Lesnar arrival in the beginning, with decisions like this and the Mir fight… he is slowly winning me over."

Lesnar is rumoured to fight Justin McCully "the insane 1" at UFC 85 at the O2 areana, London but this may all changed after the Coleman announcement.

Chuck and Brock in London, anybody fancy a road trip?

AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 04, 2008, 08:44:51 AM »

I get together with the same half dozen lads from my martial arts club to watch UFC with a few beers. We discussed it but to get a decent seat it's a fortune. we'd rather watch it with a few beers and some sky+ replay action.

thediceman

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 09, 2008, 01:35:12 AM »

Prices are a tad OTT.

Just watched cage rage and was surprised Ken Shamrock was in the main event fighting some British jobbie with an iffy win/loss record. So it was a bit of a shock to see Shamrock get knocked out first round. Guess age catches up with us all.

scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 09, 2008, 03:28:15 AM »

See Liddell fights Shogun @ UFC 85 - should be an interesting one.

It's Liddell v. Evans now, should be a decent scrap
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 09, 2008, 09:10:22 AM »

I watched the Cage Rage show on sky too.

Opening Middle weight bout was ok. Having only recently watched Anderson Silva v Dan Henderson I was perhaps making some unfair comparisons in my head, but a decent entertaining fight.

The Heavyweight fight after it was terrible. Don't get me wrong, I admire anyone with the nerve to step into the cage, but three rounds of Niel Grove v Rob Broughton was not a good advert for the sport. The UFC fighters train like maniacs and are in as good condition as ANY other sport. What ever technical ability Grove and Broughton had went out the window after one round because they were huffing and puffing, both carrying around 19st+.

Featherweight bout between a Japanese and Brasilian fighter was a decent fight and the leg lock finish was top class.

The girls.  I'm torn. at my core I'm a strong believer in equal opportunities and if these girls put the time and effort into training, why shouldn't they step in the cage and compete. Found it very uncomfortable viewing. the girl who lost was in her first MMA fight and got her pretty face well pounded. Nearly half my Martial arts class are female and I enjoy training them. Not sure why I disliked watching the female MMA fight. have to give it some thought.

Main event. On paper I could see no other result than Ken Shamrock walking right through Buzz Berry. He might be finished at the top level in UFC but the gulf in class should be obvious. Hats off to Berry. Bigger, stronger, good game plan, knocked out Shamrock for the first time in his career. In his defence, Shamrock has been fighting at Light Heavy for a while, but fair play to Berry. certainly no fluke.

Elite XC own Kimbo Slice's contract. There was talk by the promoters of Berry, v Kimbo. could be interesting.
thediceman

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 09, 2008, 09:56:28 AM »

Not sure why I disliked watching the female MMA fight. have to give it some thought.

I suspect it was because the girl who got her face smashed in was very easy on the eye and a definate "yes please".  Well that's before she got beaten up and had a bloody face.

The most entainting part of cage rage was that finish by Tom Watson who kicked the army guy i the face whilst on the ground when the army guy jumped in with a superman fist. The slow-mo of that guys head jerking backwards was painful to watch, so god knows what it felt like to him. 

Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: March 09, 2008, 10:14:36 AM »

I didnt like the women fighting at all. I think the sort of instinct the pink haired woman showed to be able to inflict that sort of attack isnt something I like to see in women.

Having soad that I was talking with my flatmate and I'm pretty sure that if I was ever stupid enough to get into one of those cages I dont think I'd have it in me to start lashing at someone I had just knocked to the floor. Unless he had just called my Mum.

The Japanese v Brazil fight was good, even though half the time I wasnt sure who was the one putting the move on. Dont think I'd go out of my way to watch another one of these - even though that commentator guy who is coming out of retirement does need to stick one on the guy he's going to be fighting - might try and catch that one.

AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 09, 2008, 12:34:33 PM »

The commentator you're talking about is Ian Freeman. Great fighter.
He fought in the UFC half a dozen times at heavyweight, including a 1st round devistation of Frank Mir in UFC 38. He then came up against Andrei Arlovski in his accendancy and got battered. His overall MMA record is a respectable 18-7-1 but that many of those fights were at heavyweight and he's much more suited to lightheavy. Could do some damage in cage rage, but I doubt he'll ever take on the UFC boys again.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 ... 64 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: