blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 07:01:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272667 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16722 Members
Latest Member: TheDoubleTop
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Fallen from grace
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallen from grace  (Read 14111 times)
TheFallen

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2010, 05:02:06 AM »

(Cliffs at end)

I’ve been in exile, back in the family home for a few days and with a little time to kill. This gave me the opportunity to read through a few more of the longer rail threads that I have had bookmarked for a while, in particular some of the blog style posts. They were a fun read and gave me the idea to type one of my own out and then figure out if I would go ahead and post it or not.

Although a British ‘pro’ I only really came across the blonde forums over the last few months as I got increasingly involved in the DTD community and up till now I have been more of a lurker than a poster so it’s probably about time to jump in and participated a little.

Perhaps the updates I can stick up can highlight a different a side of the game that others haven’t covered and maybe be a good insight into how to approach some aspects tied up with trying to make it as a pro, critically how badly and how easily you can mess it all up.

My hope is to grind up from micro stakes once again playing mostly NL 6-max. Not for fun and not for any sort of bankroll challenge but because I have blown it and hit that rock at the bottom. Leaving 2009 with $100k+ bankroll and as one of the top winning NL400+600 regulars on stars I hadn’t planned on hitting the 0.05c/0.10c tables again but that’s where I have found myself through a combination of bad timing, bad judgment, moving down limits too late and when tilted and a lot of stubbornness. S*@t happens right.

The next few months will be my final ones as a grinder unless I can find a way to pick things up once more, frankly there is a lot of stress and heartbreak involved in this game and I hope I am still young enough to move into another field yet if I have to though it would certainly hurt to walk away. Poker was never something I had meant to do solely for many years but more of a springboard to lead into other careers eventually- something which at this rate may never happen and therefore the plan is seeming a little flawed :-P. But for the years I played for I didn’t just want to be good or win a nice amount. Although those are what I need to do I just wanted to be one of the best more than anything and this year I began taking way to big risks and simply buried myself.

Anyway, I am and have always been a cash game player. Despite many a trip to bustoville over the last 4-5 years cash game are where I have always excelled though never winning above $3/$6. Right now I have ~$950 and am playing 10c/25c after starting 8days ago with my last $400 after walking out of DTD following yet another crushing night. The plan? – Make it back to midstakes online and £1/£2 at DTD by mid-late September utilizing a minimum of 40buy-in bankroll along the way. It’s going to be a grind that’s for sure, I have done it a few times before but damn, the games aren’t half a lot tougher now than last time! In fact id say 10c/25c is as hard as $1/2 was last time ffs. Bonuses will play a major part in helping me achieve this goal- thank god i can play a lot of tables coz there aint many FPPS to be made from micro stakes lol.

I don’t want to out my screen name for now for a few reasons so I would appreciate anyone who knows it or works it out to not post it openly.
If people seem interested in any of the first few updates that I put up then I will endearor to keep this going and post regularly both BR updates and nuggets of things that I’ve learnt and seen over the last few years, should they be interesting. Hope this post isn’t tldr. Wish me luck :-P………

June 26th 2010.

Starting BR               $825
Hands Played      259
Games         PLO 0.25/0.5 (50% action sold)
Profit                 $250.90 ($125)
End BR         $950

Click to see full-size image.

Hand i played today. Villain was tilted and not very good. I would have folded vs a non tilted opponent but felt i had to call in the end. I hate my bet sizing on the river and think it is actually a good spot to c/r bluff me but hard to give this guy credit for such a thought. I still called, he was tilted.  
http://www.handconverter.com/hands/772473

He ended up showing down two hearts   (i dont know why the result was cut off). Damn i hate my river sizing.

Cliff notes:  One time proud grinder gets the snot knocked out of him and loses $100k bankroll this year playing every other limit and game type except the one he was successful at, attempting to start again with $400. Watch the flight or fall.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 05:26:18 AM by TheFallen » Logged

Blame it on my A.D.D. baby
paulhouk03
Cliqueless

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 05:55:55 AM »

gl

Just me
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 07:27:58 AM »

gl

It would be interesting to hear more details about how you got started, what went wrong and how you felt about it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 08:34:10 AM by RED-DOG » Logged

The older I get, the better I was.
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 08:14:42 AM »

gl and 
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 08:26:19 AM »

Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 10:24:32 AM by jakally » Logged
Delboy

If you never let me go, I will never let you down.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »

GL & Welcome

What sites are you playing on?

'Still we sing with our heroes thirty three rounds a minute'
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 11:36:49 AM »

I think this will be a compulsive read.

I love people who are honest about themselves, their failings as much as their sucessses, who can be self-critical, self-deprecation can never be a bad quality. The final line / footnote was far & away the most revealing part.

If I had one wish for this, it would be that I hope it is "wider" than just poker, because our real "non-poker" personna is what we exhibit at poker, & vice-versa.

Good Luck Mr (Miss?) Fallen.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 12:26:31 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 12:11:37 PM »

how much do you have to take out of your roll for living expenses each month? why not just get staked to play 1/2?

Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 12:18:54 PM »

GL with this, i will be watching intently as you grind away.

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 12:19:03 PM »

Good luck with this.

As someone who is also terrible with bankroll management would you not consider staking? It's definitely right for me.

Also, what is your name? Do you know any of the many DTD blonde regs?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 12:24:22 PM »

Any reason why you don't want to give your screename ?

GL with this.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 12:38:35 PM »

Welcome to blonde and what looks like being a cracking read.

I have one question already.  You say you're not rolled for anything more than the 25c/50c games online, but feel you have a big enough roll for the £1/£2 games at DTD.  They can be very swingy, and isn't playing under-rolled a recipe for disaster.

Would you not consider playing the £.50/£1 games and grinding a profit on them - or do you mix it up between the two?

Anyway, looking forward to this.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Lucky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 12:41:16 PM »

(Cliffs at end)

I’ve been in exile, back in the family home for a few days and with a little time to kill. ...

Did anyone else read the title of this thread, see how it started off and think is this Blatch?

Nb.. No offence to OP, I can see this will be a great thread.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 12:45:55 PM »

(Cliffs at end)

I’ve been in exile, back in the family home for a few days and with a little time to kill. ...

Did anyone else read the title of this thread, see how it started off and think is this Blatch?

Nb.. No offence to OP, I can see this will be a great thread.

I thought the same, but can confirm that it isn't blatch.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 01:47:20 PM »

yeah re-reading through does seem to be a level

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: