blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 11:41:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272650 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  lil dave's lil life
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: lil dave's lil life  (Read 220652 times)
buzzharvey22

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: September 18, 2016, 10:52:30 AM »

Kinda wanna replace tetleys cos it's so old hat but we're in Yorkshire and people like it and you can't go against the people!

Replace it with another Yorkshire pint and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Taylors Landlord just happens to be the greatest pint around, and fits the bill nicely!

Good idea, really good idea - looks a bit classier too.

Lovely drink that, could drink it for days. Was actually the drink that first got me into drinking ale.

Just did a bit of googling to find out exactly where it was brewed because I thought it was a little bit further south, but hey ho what do i know.

And this came up on the website:

FOOD MATCHING

"Landlord is one of the most versatile beers when it comes to food pairing. The citrussy notes are brilliant with fish and chips, and the Seville orange marmalade flavours bring out the best in duck. The depth of the beer matches up to strong, salty cheeses, like mature cheddar."

There you go Dave, it's decided.

I look forward to trying your battered duck and chips.

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 18, 2016, 01:49:35 PM »

Any tables about for lunch this week?

ha ofc mate just say the word!

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 18, 2016, 01:50:36 PM »

Kinda wanna replace tetleys cos it's so old hat but we're in Yorkshire and people like it and you can't go against the people!

Replace it with another Yorkshire pint and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Taylors Landlord just happens to be the greatest pint around, and fits the bill nicely!

Good idea, really good idea - looks a bit classier too.

Lovely drink that, could drink it for days. Was actually the drink that first got me into drinking ale.

Just did a bit of googling to find out exactly where it was brewed because I thought it was a little bit further south, but hey ho what do i know.

And this came up on the website:

FOOD MATCHING

"Landlord is one of the most versatile beers when it comes to food pairing. The citrussy notes are brilliant with fish and chips, and the Seville orange marmalade flavours bring out the best in duck. The depth of the beer matches up to strong, salty cheeses, like mature cheddar."

There you go Dave, it's decided.

I look forward to trying your battered duck and chips.

Awesome Smiley incredible work!

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 19, 2016, 05:30:04 PM »

Had me a nice lil day off yesterday which is the first in a long time, restaurant has had a shocker this week, absolute howler, all over the city my friends who own/run hospitality businesses are having the worst weeks of the year and throw in some shenanigans at roudhay park meaning traffic from one side of the approach is totally cut off, i'm not going to lose sleep over it, and look at the positives for the week of which there are actually a few. Nevertheless still tilting and our weekly Monday morning meetings have been very tense over the past 3 months due to the professional divisions between the 4 of us so every poor week just makes even tenser, even though it shouldn't - "DONT BE RESULTS ORIENTATED" doesn't go down as well in the real world Smiley

Spent most of the day with Laura which is very important as we see increasingly less and less of each other recently, until about 5pm when she was working and I have since been sat on my bed drinking prosecco (I know what a knob) and watching old poker videos, made me reflect a bit on my poker days.

Kind of interesting discussion I have fairly often with people is regarding my decision to retire from pro gambling, and what it's been like since. This week I had a very long phone call with an extremely good friend of mine, who has certainly been one of the biggest influences on my poker career overall who is also transitioning away from poker and back into (cringing expression but entirely accurate) the real world. Here's what it was like quitting poker for me;

Incredible, I just cannot describe how good it felt - it's common to hear it said that the best (or one of) thing about pro poker is the freedom, I have never in my life felt a bigger sense of freedom than the first day i realised I was not professional poker player any more, all the worries, anxiety and stress i'd endured over the previous 12 months was literally draining from my body, I honestly can say it's one of the best feelings I've ever had. That's not to say my time in poker wasn't amazing, as it was and I have nothing but appreciation for how lucky i was and how much fun i had, every so often i get together with my old running pals from the glory days, Jake, Pez, Ash etc and share a lot of fun memories, some of the antics were truly insane and if i ever share stories with non poker friends im sure they think im exaggerating or even just making most of it up. HOWEVER compare my overall state of happiness, contentment and mental well being from those days with today and you get really no comparison at all, I always came across happy-go-lucky and without a care in the world as a poker pro, and to a certain extent that was true but there was definately some darkness behind that exterior. Part of the reason for me care-free attitude was that I always feared with poker that the next disaster was always round the corner, usually with me it was lol, big upswings would usually be followed by big shots and shattering downswings and I just took the approach, hey lets spend it before i lose it! I still maintain some of that same attitude in my working life, perhaps i am just a relatively chilled individual, although opportunity bias certainly helps, but like to try take things a bit more seriously and in return get taken a bit more seriously too.

All this being said, yesterday watching all the old poker videos made my very rueful as to the poker, and for the first time i really really missed it. Made me wanna jump straight into a 50/100 game somewhere, started to reflect on the crazy things i saw at the poker table, all the big wins and losses and the fun hands i played - might re-visit my top 5 hands of all time and go over that again for nostalgic purposes, if i can even remember...

The advice i give to people looking to move away from poker is this;

Forget the "I've nothing else to do, and certainly nothing i can do to make the same money" excuse, this is just really weak stuff, if your decision is financially motivated then thats fine, just get your head down and grind - I would advocate making a plan for exit though if you are finding it unfulfilling to motivate yourself, and "nothing better to do" just = lazy, get out and do something, charity work, maybe try get an internship or work placement, or take a course in something. You gotta make your own moves!

Most people though, dont' actually want to quit poker and are just finding the stress of pro poker in todays age is getting to them a little more than before which i absolutely understand, unfortunately i can't really offer advice on this because I quit Tongue I would say to those guys go back to basics and look at everything, BRM, game selection and make sure all the fundamentals are in place, if you have the utmost confidence in that side of what you are doing you'll probably find that you feel a little less pressured by the results.

If you really do not enjoy playing poker full time then you need to do something different, it's never too late to make positive changes so just get out and try something, if you can't say goodbye to the money or the lifestyle then dont (!) just get your head down and grind it out, one of the hardest things I've found in life is being totally honest with yourself about what you actually want, and having the courage to change things that are bad, espcially when you consider all other things, pride/reputation/lifestyle etc anyone ever wants to talk to me about stuff like this on here, PM, FB etc just hit me up.

Just putting open-table into the restaurant, which means brand new ipad and new technology to play with, wiiiiiiiii

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 19, 2016, 07:36:31 PM »

Absolutely love this diary and the great attitude that drives it.

Another top post btw.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: September 19, 2016, 07:41:58 PM »

Absolutely love this diary and the great attitude that drives it.

Another top post btw.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 19, 2016, 11:07:13 PM »

RIP The Firm Poker.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 20, 2016, 01:49:17 AM »

RIP The Firm Poker.

You're about 5 years late to the wake kieth but thanks for coming nonetheless :-)

Not spoken to Aaron in years going to try contact him I think check in

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 20, 2016, 10:03:56 AM »

Chilling moment I had last night, this has actually never happened to me before and I think this moment will change me forever. I am going to deny to use name of the people in this story because it's not a good story for any of us really although most people who know me even moderately will prolly figure out who the other 2 protagonists are very quickly, don't post it...just let it be Smiley

So we went out last night, myself, Laura and 2 of our friends (single guys) to the quiz at a bar in headingly - if you don't know leeds this is student hotspot. The quiz we came 3rd (well 4th but a "pure" 3rd) out of 26 knowledge hungry student teams, I was pretty pleased with this, a few shaky moments, like mistaking David Copperfield for Uri Geller, and answering the 3 gentleman of verona instead of 2 gentleman of verona for a shakespeare play despite doing that exact book as one of my A-Level projects (even though thats over 10 yrs ago now, which will become apparent later in the story) at the end of the quiz one of the members of the group got a message from a girl that the pair of them had met the other night and it happens they were in the same bar so we went to join them. Being the relationship guy in such a dynamic is pretty cool because you get immediately warmed too and welcomed, the girls seemed like fun we were having a few drinks and a pretty decent time, Laura and one of our friends went to the bar and then somehow the question of how old we are came up...and for some reason we didn't lie (these girls we know are 20-21) Upon learning we were both in fact nearly 30 you should have seen the look on their faces...absolute dismay! I honestly think dipping your testicles in one of their drinks would have gotten a softer reaction!

Anyway, I showed them - went home exhausted at 12:20am and have since woken up with a dreadddddful hangover.

Going to post about some fun hands I remember from my poker life too for nostalgic purposes, if anyone wants me to try remember some (funniest, wierdest, most tilting etc) then let me know - I think biggest has been done already Tongue

SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 20, 2016, 10:21:13 AM »

Craziest Ever Angleshoot

Title kinda ruins the twist in this hand but that twist spoils itself as the story goes on anyway lol. I'm afriad I can't remember the board, the action or actually the stakes very well at all in this hand lol - none of which are relevant.

10/20 (I think) NLHE at Bellagio. Players in this hand are "Old Tom" a lovely old super reg in the 10/20 game who was there EVERY day in the morning, and Matt "ADZ" Morifiatti who lots of you will know, I'm pretty sure the action has gone on the flop T86 ADZ check called then on 7 turn he's called a check raise and the river comes a 5 so the board is (something like)...  T 8 6 7 5, obviously this quite a "straighty" board lol. ADZ bets $3k (I remember exactly the amount because tom lined up 3 stacks of $20 chips, he used to keep pretty much only $20 chips and always stacked in 40's) Tom sighs a bit (he has top set btw) shakes his head and then announces "I think you're going to have to show me this one Matt" .... He then puts his hands behind the chips and looks absolutely certain to be pushing them forward.

ADZ instantly announces he has a straight and goes to turn his hand over, Tom says wait i haven't called yet and moves his hands back - ADZ insists that it was forward motion and he said call, floor is called ADZ getting very worked up at this point. Floor rules that Tom's hand is still live and he still has the action. ADZ tells the floorman it's bullshit and asks for the poker manager, who comes over and rules there was no forward motion and when the dealer confirms Tom never said the word "call" he gives the same ruling. ADZ now insists they check the camera's and they will see that there is clear forward motion, keeps saying "I know that's a call" and muttering about favouritism for regulars etc. Obviously the floor guy comes back, final ruling is made that tom's hand is still live so he quickly mucks whilst trying to convince the table he didn't call and that there was no angle etc.

During this whole debacle, I never had a moments doubt that ADZ had a straight, I was sat next to a friend of mine, who confirmed that the thought never crossed his mind either... As soon as Tom folds, this huge smile breaks on ADZ's face and 1% of me starts to think...surely not... then he triumphantly reveals QJ (or something like this, overs+nut gutter kinda hand)  for the most audacious angle-shoot i've ever seen. The atmosphere was, how to say, a little tense following that hand!

titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: September 20, 2016, 02:51:17 PM »

that's a fucking brilliant HH. <3 <3 <3

moaaaaar stories ples
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 20, 2016, 03:54:38 PM »

that's a fucking brilliant HH. <3 <3 <3

moaaaaar stories ples

This is a slam dunk case of "what he said"

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 20, 2016, 06:31:08 PM »

Justice Hand

Going back to 2008, there was a guy who ran the leeds games called Faz, tiny little Iranian man, always wore a waistcoat and bow-tie, very pleasant guy, im sure a couple of people on the thread (Danny Morgan) have their own Faz stories, obv as he was running the games he was making a fortune yr on yr - more than anyone was winning im sure (lets say conservatively 250 a yr) but sometimes he also PLAYED in the games - he was insaaannnnnne! One day we were playing in gala (not in the game he ran) and it's a pretty small 2/5 game we're playing, I remember this game well as the average pot was about £50 and I was somehow winning £2k Tongue In the game there is this horrible little nit who was just disgusting, so smarmy and rude, I'd never seen him lose more than about 2-300 before and when he got winning he was impossible to get a lose £5 off.

Anyway i think he's losing about £300 and has ~£100 in front of him when Faz walks in, now a small 2/5 game when you introduce Faz is not going to be a small 2/5 game for long! He sits down, fires a few bullets off runs it up a bit then pot 1) of the justice commences, me and faz playing about 800 effective, the Nit has limped on Faz's straddle (alarm bells) I've just flatted KQs OTB, faz has gone 100 from the straddle, the guy has snap got his money in, I am pretty sure Faz is fucking about so i tell him im gambling and set him in, he snaps me off with J9s (LOVE FAZ) the nit has KK (whoops) flop comes KQT which would have been hilarious anyway and faz wins. The nit is now FUMING, FUUUUUMING telling us all how terrible we are and storms off, stuck £400 which is the most ever for him I assume he's done. The whole table is laughing...Much to my surprise he comes back with...£1,000!!! Never wanted to stack anyone so badly.

Play goes on for a bit and faz is going berserk, then this hand comes along...

Nit has like £1100 and Faz covers, multiway flop, £20 straddle flpo comes 9xx (small cards) faz decides for whatever reason to open ship loads, like 20x pot. We all laugh and the nit snap calls - Faz is now grinning like a cat and syaing OH DEAR, I lean over and ask how much help he needs and faz replies "its very bad, very very bad"

Nit has since slammed 99 down and telling everyone how great he is... board runs off Q T and faz flips over KJ and takes the pot....

Never saw that guy again Smiley

titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: September 20, 2016, 07:23:03 PM »

yessssss fk horrible nits justiccccccce <3 faz

I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 20, 2016, 07:32:24 PM »

Great stories. Keep them coming please

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 ... 52 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: