blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 07:05:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272716 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Prose from a Poshboy
Pages: 1 ... 1182 1183 1184 1185 [1186] 1187 1188 1189 1190 ... 1316 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prose from a Poshboy  (Read 2574555 times)
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #17775 on: November 04, 2014, 08:12:31 PM »

Lenders are running scared of the regulator in the new regime following MMR (the mortgage market review).

One aspect of this is putting increased scrutiny especially for lenders on affordability.

Its a political hot potato but has turned the mortgage market from one which was too relaxed into one that is very risk averse.

Unfortunately Arbboy, whilst I understand your point of view on risk, the lenders have to assess ongoing serviceability of the lending, especially in the new regime.

Some of the underwriting decisions I've seen are just crazy.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #17776 on: November 04, 2014, 08:57:44 PM »

i think poker players are an example where the system doesn't quite fit the needs. However what are the banks supposed to do, learn all about poker? Seems way easier just to tell all the poker guys to GTFO and come back for a mortgage when they have a proper job.

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #17777 on: November 05, 2014, 06:38:43 AM »

So, Alex, how's your cooking these days?

Any exciting plans for Christmas?

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #17778 on: November 05, 2014, 04:32:31 PM »

So, Alex, how's your cooking these days?

Any exciting plans for Christmas?

Cooking has taken a step back lately because I have an in-house chef who loves cooking and is excellent. Hit the jackpot there....

Plans for Christmas are quite exciting this year because I'll be sharing Christmas with Victoria who doesn't really celebrate Christmas in her culture so I'm really looking forward to sharing all the little quirks and traditions with her. Never spent Christmas with a girlfriend before so that's something new.

Then I'm going to meet her family in Riga for a week over New Years (and my birthday) which is going to be really good. New Year's for them is a really big celebration (much more than Christmas) so it'll be interesting to experience that. Lots of Vodka I hear!

Then I'm going skiing with my brothers which I'm REALLY excited about. Used to go every year as a child, and also on school trips a few times - probably been 15-20 times lifetime, but haven't managed to go for ages. Last time I was skiing it was on a day trip with Ian Gascoigne in Salzburg in 2012!

Click to see full-size image.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #17779 on: November 05, 2014, 04:41:33 PM »

I've just spend a lovely few days with my Mum and new hubbie Peter. We had some great talks and I've made a couple of big decisions.

Click to see full-size image.

I've decided that whilst I don't have a clear opportunity whether that be a job offer, a line of work or career that I'm passionate about pursuing, a suitable investment or business opportunity I will carry on as I am.

I think with Poker, I've hit the jackpot really. I've found something that for the most part I love doing- I love the freedom, opportunities and lifestyle it affords and I make good money. I have security to a certain extent because I have staking deals and can always get staking deals so I don't have much financial risk. There's always the risk of not earning money and just bleeding away through expenses. But I think my strategy of just being staked for tournaments and using my bankroll for live cash games which I've been a consistent steady winner for 5 years at is a good one. You have the odd losing month but it's pretty low variance.  And I'm always putting myself in situations to win huge sums in tournaments.

It would very likely take at least 10, maybe even more years in employment before I was on the kind of salary similar to my earnings from poker. Some will read that as a very arrogant or cocky thing to write, but it's entirely relevant and true. During which I would likely be actually far less happy than I am now, with very little freedom, and who's to say any more fulfillment?

I've realised I'm a grass is greener guy. Always thinking I can have it better elsewhere. Yet I have had so many moments in poker where I think this is absolutely the most amazing feeling. Getting a huge bluff through, getting a big hero call right, dominating a final table, feeling like you've outplayed a good player and so on. I'm sure you all have. I've had so many times whilst out celebrating wins, or friends wins, or in any number of amazing places poker has taken me, where I just think I have the best life and I don't wanna trade it for anything. Just because the downtime in between big tournaments is often not very exciting or fulfilling isn't a good enough reason to jack it all in for an unknown job or career. I think it's totally unrealistic to expect complete happiness, satisfaction and fulfillment from a job 24/7.

I will keep my eyes and ears open for opportunities. I see myself maybe more as a self-employed kind of guy. But whilst I still love much about the poker lifestyle, and whilst I still feel I can make excellent money in the game, until something solid and concrete comes up by way of an alternative - I'm going to stick to poker.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #17780 on: November 05, 2014, 05:06:27 PM »

Hey Alex, glad you have come to a decision about what to do, seems a good idea .  Have you got your original staker for tournies ? not sure if it has been said on here or not?  Now you have sorta come back on here a bit will you be posting reports from trips/tournies again, always an interesting read imo.

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #17781 on: November 05, 2014, 08:23:43 PM »

Hey Alex, glad you have come to a decision about what to do, seems a good idea .  Have you got your original staker for tournies ? not sure if it has been said on here or not?  Now you have sorta come back on here a bit will you be posting reports from trips/tournies again, always an interesting read imo.

I am enjoying posting too and will do so more now, especially with DTD events coming up.

As far as tourney reports and day to day updates I think I'm still siding with not doing them.

It's just so hard to get it right. You can't feel frustrated about a winning day, or a losing day if you had a winning day yesterday. Or a losing month if you had a big win last month. You can't feel too good about a win or a hand you feel you played well or a performance you're proud of.

Too many hand histories bore some people (myself included!), too much strategy disadvantages myself too much when playing other uk regs.

I know everyone that replies will say they don't mind, they like the honesty, the raw emotion one experiences after a session.

But there's many people who won't post who it rubs up the wrong way, and I don't like doing that, especially when I sympathise completely, even agree with them.

And when you strip all that out then it becomes rather dull writing. There's not much to talk about.

So I'll just write when I have something interesting or funny or just if I feel like it Smiley

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #17782 on: November 05, 2014, 08:34:56 PM »

Was pretty obvious you were just having a wobble and would carry on with poker.

All the best with it- hopefully see u soon

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Sulphur man

View Profile
« Reply #17783 on: November 06, 2014, 12:55:18 AM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/grrrrains-uks-first-cereal-cafe-to-open-in-london-9838161.html

Shit just got real.

I've never played any game, or done anything that was so powerful at making you believe that you 'owned' it... before making you realize that you actually don't.
Eso Kral

Lucky in Life!!

View Profile
« Reply #17784 on: November 06, 2014, 07:14:59 AM »

Fyp

Andrew Charles Blacklock - Lived for those he loved and those he loved remember.
Sulphur man

View Profile
« Reply #17785 on: November 06, 2014, 09:43:32 AM »

Nice work :-)

I've never played any game, or done anything that was so powerful at making you believe that you 'owned' it... before making you realize that you actually don't.
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #17786 on: November 06, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »

What percentage of your play is tournaments v cash?
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #17787 on: November 07, 2014, 03:02:52 AM »

nice, it's times like this that you sail through to a big score
At WPT, gls there

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #17788 on: November 07, 2014, 05:19:30 AM »

What percentage of your play is tournaments v cash?

These days probably 80/20 tournaments/cash

Historically about 50/50

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
blueace

View Profile
« Reply #17789 on: November 07, 2014, 02:27:04 PM »

Alex,
Great Freelance career with travel paying £250 a day plus tips  http://www.britainsbestguides.org/
Investments: Managed investment funds with a good track record (you probably already do this)
http://www.investsmart.com.au/managedfunds/topfunds (not a uk site but you get the idea).
Gl
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 02:34:24 PM by blueace » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 1182 1183 1184 1185 [1186] 1187 1188 1189 1190 ... 1316 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: