blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 03:28:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272661 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Rugby World Cup
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rugby World Cup  (Read 34254 times)
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 16, 2011, 11:11:42 AM »

Is this as good as it gets for union? 2 tries in two semis? fuking dire stuff when complicated rules / pens dictate games. I so much wanted to believe the hype around this world cup but bar one game i have found them either one sided or boring.

Which was the game you liked? I think you probably have to be a big fan to enjoy modern rugby union. I agree completely that the result is always far too dependent on the ref´s interpretation, in that game just gone you could hear Pocock and Horwill going nuts because they thought the ref screwed them.
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 16, 2011, 11:30:02 AM »

Is this as good as it gets for union? 2 tries in two semis? fuking dire stuff when complicated rules / pens dictate games. I so much wanted to believe the hype around this world cup but bar one game i have found them either one sided or boring.

Which was the game you liked? I think you probably have to be a big fan to enjoy modern rugby union. I agree completely that the result is always far too dependent on the ref´s interpretation, in that game just gone you could hear Pocock and Horwill going nuts because they thought the ref screwed them.

I enjoyed Wales vs South Africa, at least we got 3 trys in that game. Most of the games where two decent teams played each other involved 1 maybe 2 trys max, alot none at all. I want free flowing rugby where the skilled players score lots of tries. Soime parts of these games simply involved kicking back and forth to each other for field position without an open run for 10-15mins. I love rugby in general but I wish union could tweak one or two things to simpllfy it all and really encourage try scoring. Make pens 1 point or something.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: October 16, 2011, 11:35:51 AM »

Make pens 1 point or something.

The way to improve the game would be to make pens 10 points - that ways teams wouldn't give them away.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 16, 2011, 11:47:45 AM »

Bit of a catch 22, most of the pens are given to stop teams spoiling and slowing the game down so they award pens to slow it down instead.

Make a lot of the technical pens punishable with yards only. Award more penalty tries when close and make pens worth more for serious offences

Prob will apply for a job as an ideas man

sola virtus nobilitat
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 16, 2011, 11:51:12 AM »

One of the things grates most is that all the refs say 'Engage' a few miliseconds after the fowards are already in the process, please cut out one of the ridic steps and replace with ready, steady, go.

sola virtus nobilitat
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 16, 2011, 11:52:25 AM »

Union has become more boring because it has become more like League :-)

Phases 1-6 and repeat of recycling the ball, with defences coming up in a line, fanning out etc etc

the problem is the rules are too picky at the breakdown. All a defending team can do is hit hard and try to slow down the ball, this is what they do. They either get pinged for doing so or the ball gets recycled again.

A lot of the really good coaches are defensive coaches and the laws need an overhaul (a bit like what happened in the NFL) to promote attacking play

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 16, 2011, 12:19:42 PM »

Union has become more boring because it has become more like League :-)

lol gg
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 16, 2011, 12:26:09 PM »

Its a serious point

don't get me wrong, I watch both

often when a league team gets 6 tackles in the oppo 22 its bang away for 5 and kick the sixth (high or grubber) in the hope that the ball will break for them..luck in other words, after the kick is skilfully executed..it goes to the TMO often and we see who touched it down etc etc

the scores in league come form those situations or offloads through the tackle count from further back the pitch..but most scores are from setting up 5 tackles in the 22 then something on sith tackle

Now in Union there's no sixth tackle, you can go through 25 phases of this, ball being slowed down especially if McCaw and Pocock are around. Offloads are pretty tricky when in both codes with defences up so flat, gang tackling etc, but the Union laws which need an overhaul at maul/ruck/breakdown make quick ball more tricky, thus offloads less common

Its not an anti-league ploint I am making merely the defences in Union are so good, the forwards so fit, that the attacking opportunities are fewer.

My eyes are open wide
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 16, 2011, 12:27:53 PM »

Nope i know it wasnt an attack but I would pull you up on the forwards being so fit in union! lol.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 16, 2011, 12:29:20 PM »

Nope i know it wasnt an attack but I would pull you up on the forwards being so fit in union! lol.

they are mega fit in both codes...just because body shape of a prop is not Andy Farrell's doesn't mean they aren't fit

and there's no way you are getting through 3-5 of them around the fringe in Union...

My eyes are open wide
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: October 17, 2011, 11:32:58 AM »

Looks like England RU have approached Shaun Edwards to take over at the helm for England. I'm obviously biased as I think he was one of the best rugby players I've ever seen play, but I think he's exactly what England needs and his record as a coach in RU is very impressive.

Discuss.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 17, 2011, 11:39:35 AM »

Looks like England RU have approached Shaun Edwards to take over at the helm for England. I'm obviously biased as I think he was one of the best rugby players I've ever seen play, but I think he's exactly what England needs and his record as a coach in RU is very impressive.

Discuss.

A tremendously impressive man, player and coach. Easily the best candidate for the job. Would be gutted for Wales to lose him but he is absolutely what England need to get them back on track.
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 17, 2011, 11:42:59 AM »

Discuss.

Tilts me beyond belief to be honest.  All these guys from the superior code ending up coaching/playing in the ra-ra's

Josedinho

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 17, 2011, 01:02:59 PM »

Discuss.

A tremendously impressive man, player and coach. Easily the best candidate for the job. Would be gutted for Wales to lose him but he is absolutely what England need to get them back on track.
Agree 100%. Would be awesome if we could get him. Might be good timing too. It won't be an easy decision to leave Wales as he was massively behind the project despite his nationality but with 4 years to go until the next World Cup we might be able to tempt him. If he stays with Wales it'll be 8 years before he has the chance of leading a team of his own at a World Cup and a lot can happen in 8 years.
Fingers crossed.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: October 17, 2011, 01:05:45 PM »

Discuss.

Tilts me beyond belief to be honest.  All these guys from the superior code ending up coaching/playing in the ra-ra's

Money talks.  Reckon one day Edwards might come back and coach Wigan though.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: