blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 02:17:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272669 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: Aledkanny
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2206835 times)
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: October 28, 2015, 04:07:27 PM »

No that's a fair point. I accept that.

It was a more a theoretical question that should a company seemingly making decent "EBITDA" seek to avoid paying corporation tax wherever possible. But I admit I phrased it pretty badly.

Thing is, EBITDA, isn't a way of assessing how much tax a company should pay in a given year. It is a methodology for comparing the performance of companies after stripping out the costs which can vary according to location (tax and interest costs) and history (depreciation and amortisation).

Lowering CT by investing in assets and thus being able to claim Capital Allowances is surely fine by all?
Lowering CT by reducing taxable profits through higher wages equally so?

Evading CT by dubious use of transfer pricing and shifting profits within a group is a very different thing.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #571 on: October 28, 2015, 04:12:32 PM »

It was a more a theoretical question that should a company seemingly making decent "EBITDA" seek to avoid paying corporation tax wherever possible. But I admit I phrased it pretty badly.

Thing is, EBITDA, isn't a way of assessing how much tax a company should pay in a given year. It is a methodology for comparing the performance of companies after stripping out the costs which can vary according to location (tax and interest costs) and history (depreciation and amortisation).

Lowering CT by investing in assets and thus being able to claim Capital Allowances is surely fine by all?

Evading CT by dubious use of transfer pricing and shifting profits within a group is a very different thing.

I didn't say it was.

As to your three points.

Broadly, but it depends
Broadly, but it depends
Agreed.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 28, 2015, 04:14:38 PM »

"Lowering CT by investing in assets and thus being able to claim Capital Allowances is surely fine by all?"

Not according to the japester who wrote that £93 billion corporate welfare report! 
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #573 on: October 28, 2015, 04:20:02 PM »

"Lowering CT by investing in assets and thus being able to claim Capital Allowances is surely fine by all?"

Not according to the japester who wrote that £93 billion corporate welfare report! 

Or that japester in number 11 downing street Wink

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/may/29/energy-crackdown-government-end-tax-scheme
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: October 28, 2015, 04:20:54 PM »

I didn't say it was.

As to your three points.

Broadly, but it depends
Broadly, but it depends
Agreed.

You asked if a company seemingly making decent EBITDA should seek to avoid paying CT. Seems implicit that you were using the measure for that purpose.

btw, depends on what?

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #575 on: October 28, 2015, 04:23:17 PM »

I didn't say it was.

As to your three points.

Broadly, but it depends
Broadly, but it depends
Agreed.

You asked if a company seemingly making decent EBITDA should seek to avoid paying CT. Seems implicit that you were using the measure for that purpose.

btw, depends on what?

On if it's legitimate/fair usage of the system (the vast majority of cases) of if it's being abused.

And I've no idea how you got that from what I said, but let's not disappear down that semantic rabbit hole.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 28, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/may/29/energy-crackdown-government-end-tax-scheme

I'm not sure I trust the Guardian on any "capital allowances" matter given the fanfare they gave the corporate welfare report.  It's not clear to me what the energy firms are being accused of doing by Osbourne.  Why wouldn't they be able to claim capital allowances on a new power plant?
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #577 on: October 28, 2015, 04:33:13 PM »

I'm not sure I trust the Guardian on any "capital allowances" matter given the fanfare they gave the corporate welfare report.  It's not clear to me what the energy firms are being accused of doing by Osbourne.  Why wouldn't they be able to claim capital allowances on a new power plant?

Torygraph any good?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/energy/10087756/George-Osborne-Power-firms-tax-claims-unacceptable.html
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 28, 2015, 04:38:27 PM »

Oh I see what they were up to.  Install new rigging at a business.  Make the business pay the cost.  Try to claim capital allowances on the work done even thought they didn't pay for it.  Naughty indeed.  That's a complete abuse of the system though in my opinion though as opposed to being a negative of the principle of capital allowances.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/149b24ec-c88d-11e2-acc6-00144feab7de.html#axzz3psUmUbV5
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 04:43:58 PM by DungBeetle » Logged
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #579 on: October 28, 2015, 04:42:19 PM »

Oh I don't think anyone rational would say the principle of Capital Allowances is negative. Quite the opposite. But as with most things in the tax system it's there to be abused by those that want to have go.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 28, 2015, 04:46:33 PM »

Oh I don't think anyone rational would say the principle of Capital Allowances is negative. Quite the opposite. But as with most things in the tax system it's there to be abused by those that want to have go.

But that takes us back to the corporate welfare report where all capital allowances are deemed to be "government subsidy".  Which is bonkers.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 28, 2015, 04:46:46 PM »

The other thing that struck me as positive for the tax take by using salary/dividend is the fact that the remaining funds after tax are in the hands of individuals who will spend a proportion of it generating other jobs, paying VAT etc.

The company paying corporation tax and leaving the funds undistributed in cash reserves generates nothing extra (other than the obvious point that every company needs working capital/financial stability).

Given this, assessing how ethical a business is by judging it on how much corporation tax it pays is pretty naive.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 04:49:31 PM by RickBFA » Logged
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #582 on: October 28, 2015, 04:49:35 PM »

The other thing that struck me as positive for the tax take by using salary/dividend is the fact that the remaining funds after tax are in the hands of individuals who will spend a proportion of it generating other jobs, paying VAT etc.

The company paying corporation tax and leaving the funds undistributed in cash reserves generates nothing extra (other than the obvious point that every company needs working capital/financial stability).

What is Apple expecting to happen with its $205bn cash reserve?
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #583 on: October 28, 2015, 04:53:10 PM »

Given this, assessing how ethical a business is by judging it on how much corporation tax it pays is pretty naive.

People aren't half making some leaps of logic with my questions and comments here.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 28, 2015, 04:55:23 PM »

What is Apple expecting to happen with its $205bn cash reserve?

Apple are hardly a typical example. They are a fairly unique. How many other businesses do you know with those reserves?

I presume they will eventually buy other business and also distribute funds to shareholders in some form or other.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: