blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 11:15:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272670 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: Aledkanny
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  KK just outside the money
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: KK just outside the money  (Read 2558 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 31, 2006, 03:38:46 AM »

Just lately I have been busted out of the late stages of 4 comps while holding KK

Each time I had better than average chips

It was the same scenario every time, I raise, he re-raises I go all in, he calls

I have lost once to AA, twice to AQ and once to AK, in the last two cases, the A has fallen on the turn or the river

Now I'm thinking, Is it better, in that situation, to just call the re-raise, and bet the flop if no A falls

If I had, I would probably have won 3/4 and escaped with a playable stack from the one where the A flopped

What do you think?

The older I get, the better I was.
Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 03:41:59 AM »

Seems sensible and your recent experiences says it's the way to go, won't save you against AA though but AAvKK is always destined to be a bloodbath

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 03:46:35 AM »

Well, you woulda lost against the AA anway, but I think you've just been unlucky. If you see a flop & an A comes, who's to say the oppo won't represent it. I've seen it done....

And there is a 40% chance the A will come on the Turn or River (40% relative to the board as a whole).

Don't change a thing Tom, it's a Form thing.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 03:53:07 AM »

Well, you woulda lost against the AA anway, but I think you've just been unlucky. If you see a flop & an A comes, who's to say the oppo won't represent it. I've seen it done....

And there is a 40% chance the A will come on the Turn or River (40% relative to the board as a whole).

Don't change a thing Tom, it's a Form thing.

Yes, this post did sound like a bit of a moan, it wasn't, honest.

I just wondered if there was a better way to play it

Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 03:57:07 AM »

Thinking about tikay's answer, I think he's right, when all is said and done you are in the lead and favourite when the money goes in, except, of course, when your facing the Aces

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 04:02:09 AM »

Thinking about tikay's answer, I think he's right, when all is said and done you are in the lead and favourite when the money goes in, except, of course, when your facing the Aces

Yes, but do it 3 times in a comp and you are favorite to lose

Still, I think you're right, he's right

JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 04:02:33 AM »

Sounds like you've made quite a few final tables recently red, probably because you are getting in these good situations!

Don't let a few suckouts change your good play. On the bubble, i reckon it's a good time to be even more hyper aggressive with these hands as your opponents will often lean a bit more towards folding. Pile the pressure on. If you get called you're in good shape (unless you run into AA)

If they make the bad call and suck out that's a bit**. Cry a little, kick the table/dog/other object that's not gonna hit back, mutter obscenities under your breath and put it down to form then come back and win the next one.

Good luck !!

"In darker days Jason Robinson found God. But that was after God found Jason Robinson."
Gamblor21

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 04:06:58 AM »

I do like to smooth call raises with KK but is normally when i am trying to bust big chip stacks etc...

I think there is + and - for each but it depends on situations, and whether you know your opponent can bet without ace when it drops as tikay said. I say just mix up how you play them, but smooth calling could lead to them being busted by 74 just as easily as AK

Hear me knocking... Let me in then!
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 10:19:22 AM »

I'd probably factor the chip stacks of myself vs re-raiser into any decision here.  From RED's post it sounds as though he was up against a bigger stack on each occasion here, so potentially I'm more likely to call and see a flop.  Compare that to a situation where a re-raise puts the decision back on the other player for all his chips and I'm more likely to re-raise pre-flop.

Sheriff

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 11:18:28 AM »

I like what Rob Yong said about this, something along the lines of if you flat call and see the flop you are only giving your opponent the chance to see 3 cards whereas if you go allin then you are letting them see all 5 and hitting their ace on the turn or river.
It made me think when i read it and although some will bet any flop i think in the long run it is a sound phylosophy (sp?) as you can get away from kings on the flop.

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 03:00:33 PM »

I like what Rob Yong said about this, something along the lines of if you flat call and see the flop you are only giving your opponent the chance to see 3 cards whereas if you go allin then you are letting them see all 5 and hitting their ace on the turn or river.
It made me think when i read it and although some will bet any flop i think in the long run it is a sound phylosophy (sp?) as you can get away from kings on the flop.

Well put Ian, those are the lines I was thinking along

JungleCat03
Insidious underminer
Learning Centre Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 03:50:57 PM »

this is ok, but they'll always be the times when the flop comes A hi and you lose chips vs no action against a lower pair, bluffed off the flop by a worse hand, or even when someone has raised with a steal hand and you give them a cheap shot at the flop and they hit.

Planning to call and check fold on an A high flop means you will be bluffed off the flop sometimes. Position is a consideration too. It will be easier to know if you're ahead if you flat call in position and tougher for you opponent to bluff you.

"In darker days Jason Robinson found God. But that was after God found Jason Robinson."
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 03:58:29 PM »

There is some similar thread on here started by phil discussing flat calling a re raise with kings. I think there are powerful arguement to this as you can throw your kings on the flop or only let your opponent see three cards to catch his ace.
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 04:00:49 PM »

There is some similar thread on here started by phil discussing flat calling a re raise with kings. I think there are powerful arguement to this as you can throw your kings on the flop or only let your opponent see three cards to catch his ace.

I don't like to flatcall too often. You want to build the pot surely when you have the best hand. If you flat call and (more than likely) he misses, he gets away cheaply.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 10:34:11 PM »

You've just been unlucky Red - at this stage in the tourney ppl are rerasing with any pair, any big ace.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: