blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 09:19:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272676 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16724 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 414 415 [416] 417 418 419 420 ... 2344 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3623961 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #6225 on: September 15, 2009, 12:19:21 PM »

Most people who are perceived as or labled "Gypsy" by the general public are not in fact Gypsies. Mostly. the general public have no idea what Gypsies are.

BTW- I know this is a small thing, but it's important. When you write the word "Gypsy" please use an uppercase "G" as in "GreekStein"  Wink

But surely, if Gypsy is a term used for a very particular set of people, but the same word is also used to refer to a more general group of people, then gypsy with a small g is a valid term for this second group, as they are different from Gypsies?

Kind of like Liberals and liberals.

Interesting point.

I think though that the second group are a completely different set of people who are incorrectly described as Gypsies. The description is still the ethnic group Gypsy, the fact that it is an incorrect description doesn't justify the use of a lower case 'g'.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6226 on: September 15, 2009, 12:22:25 PM »

Most people who are perceived as or labled "Gypsy" by the general public are not in fact Gypsies. Mostly. the general public have no idea what Gypsies are.

BTW- I know this is a small thing, but it's important. When you write the word "Gypsy" please use an uppercase "G" as in "GreekStein"  Wink

But surely, if Gypsy is a term used for a very particular set of people, but the same word is also used to refer to a more general group of people, then gypsy with a small g is a valid term for this second group, as they are different from Gypsies?

Interesting point.

I think though that the second group are a completely different set of people who are incorrectly described as Gypsies. The description is still the ethnic group Gypsy, the fact that it is an incorrect description doesn't justify the use of a lower case 'g'.

Yeah, the confusion comes because the second word shouldn't be Gypsy/gypsy at all, but something else. However, the fact is that the word is used in this instance.

I'm sure there is a better parallel than Liberal/liberal but I can't think of one right now.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: September 15, 2009, 12:29:30 PM »

Interesting point.

Yeah, the confusion comes because the second word shouldn't be Gypsy/gypsy at all, but something else. However, the fact is that the word is used in this instance.

I'm sure there is a better parallel than Liberal/liberal but I can't think of one right now.

Have you thought of one yet?

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: September 15, 2009, 12:40:38 PM »

I do so love sight hounds. Especially lurchers with a little bull blood in them...  or Bedlington x whippets... or saluki x collie x greyhound....

Great whippet pic btw. My dad has a terrific little whippet named Pal. He was as nesh as a newborn baby and an inveterate thief, but he could do a score of coney on the lamp without breaking a sweat.

Can you tell us more about the part I have italicised, & explain what the enboldened part means, please.

A score of coney on the lamp? Quite so.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RichEO

View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: September 15, 2009, 09:42:39 PM »

I do so love sight hounds. Especially lurchers with a little bull blood in them...  or Bedlington x whippets... or saluki x collie x greyhound....

Great whippet pic btw. My dad has a terrific little whippet named Pal. He was as nesh as a newborn baby and an inveterate thief, but he could do a score of coney on the lamp without breaking a sweat.

Can you tell us more about the part I have italicised, & explain what the enboldened part means, please.

A score is 20. Coney is rabbit. Lamp I am stuck with. I'd guess a field.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: September 15, 2009, 09:53:38 PM »

I think lamp means lamp, more or less

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RioRodent

View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: September 15, 2009, 10:01:20 PM »

Lamping - Hunting rabbits at night with dogs (or guns) and a lamp - eg. http://www.thehuntinglife.com/html/sections/articles/runningdogs_hounds/its-good-to-get-back.html

£10 to £10k Challenge

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: September 15, 2009, 10:04:09 PM »

City boys lol.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: September 15, 2009, 10:04:30 PM »

Lamping - Hunting rabbits at night with dogs (or guns) and a lamp - eg. http://www.thehuntinglife.com/html/sections/articles/runningdogs_hounds/its-good-to-get-back.html

Now it all makes sense, thank you.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: September 16, 2009, 09:39:57 AM »

Now it all makes sense, thank you.

I know a couple of guys who lamp deer as well, you should see the lurchers they've got for that, I think they're deerhound/greyhound/crocodile crosses Smiley

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
RichEO

View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: September 16, 2009, 12:26:09 PM »

I love lamp.

I think lamp means lamp, more or less
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6236 on: September 17, 2009, 10:26:59 AM »

I do so love sight hounds. Especially lurchers with a little bull blood in them...  or Bedlington x whippets... or saluki x collie x greyhound....

So that's all the enboldebed bits explained, except for the bit about not breaking a sweat.

Dogs don't actually sweat, (Apart from via a few glands on the pads of their feet, but that's more about traction than cooling)

Dogs regulate their body temperature by panting. The act of breathing in and out quickly with their tongue lolling cools the core of the dogs body much quicker than sweating through the skin. Sweating only cools the body surface, and it wastes a lot of precious fluids causing rapid dehydration.

Dogs also have special blood vessels in the roof of their mouth which allows the blood going to the brain to be given priory cooling when the dog is hot.

So, you will never see a dog sweating like a pig, (but then again, you will never see a pig sweating either).

Horses, on the other hand, are a different kettle of fish.

The older I get, the better I was.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: September 17, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »

What about the word "nesh"?

That must be regional midlands, as its a new one on me.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6238 on: September 17, 2009, 10:44:30 AM »

What about the word "nesh"?

That must be regional midlands, as its a new one on me.

Here you go Rich.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nesh

The older I get, the better I was.
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: September 17, 2009, 10:50:45 AM »

My Mum took our little Jack Russell to the vets a month or so back, as she had noticed that she was panting almost constantly, even outside in cold-ish weather, something she hasnt previously done.

The vet said panting is also a way for dogs to cope with pain, they use it as a relief, as she has developed arthritis.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 414 415 [416] 417 418 419 420 ... 2344 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: