blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 01:55:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272679 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16724 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  If you had to make $20k?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you had to make $20k?  (Read 4763 times)
shipitonetime

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 12:16:37 AM »

Thanks for all of the replies guys. The figure of 20K was a just a thumb in the air figure.

I thought cash online grinding might be the way ahead.

I also thought that the overall opinion would be ditch MTT  learn cash learn from scratch over the 15 month period accepting that i would need to deposit a suitable roll, and accepting a loss for a while.  I also thought that more volume and rakeback would figure for consideration.

No mention of grinding sng's either

Thanks again for taking the time to reply

Steve

Yeh cash games are the best option for grinding a reliable income. If u can learn to mass multi table, put in good volume eg 100k+ hands per month and beat 100nl. Then u can comfortably make a good living from it. Its def still achievable if you put in the time and effort. Mtts and sngs = loads of variance. Still would have to put in a lot of work either way.
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 12:29:40 AM »

stay in your job
stato_1

#Team_Eureka

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 02:50:33 AM »

If there are decent games near to you, I'd be amazed if live cash games were not the best answer to your issue
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 08:29:16 AM »

If u can learn to mass multi table, put in good volume eg 100k+ hands per month and beat 100nl.

100k hands a month? I barely know anyone who plays 100,000 hands a month (outside of rush/zoom), i'm not very good at multi-tabling and play live 3 nights a week (so prolly have similar time if not more time than steve for online) and I struggle 30,000 a month on my good months..

Also, beating 100nl, I bet at least 35 of the top 50 in the world on pocket 5's couldn't beat 100nl if they started at it tomorrow.

shipitonetime

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 09:48:10 AM »

If u can learn to mass multi table, put in good volume eg 100k+ hands per month and beat 100nl.

100k hands a month? I barely know anyone who plays 100,000 hands a month (outside of rush/zoom), i'm not very good at multi-tabling and play live 3 nights a week (so prolly have similar time if not more time than steve for online) and I struggle 30,000 a month on my good months..

Also, beating 100nl, I bet at least 35 of the top 50 in the world on pocket 5's couldn't beat 100nl if they started at it tomorrow.

I'm not saying this is the best thing for op to do. OP was talking about guaranteeing a decent additional income and being able to put in the hours that are necessary. So playing online cash is the best way to do this imo. But of course games arent easy etcetc. Most likely op has a better chance of making $$ playing online mtts/ live cash and will probably have more fun too.

If you are competent at multitabling and play for a living then 100k hands per month isnt really a ridic amount for ssnl. Dave you play high stakes PLO so cant rly compare the volume you put in to ssnl grinders.
shipitonetime

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 09:53:45 AM »

This might be the case but they nearly def could if they wanted to learn imo.
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 10:08:02 AM »

yh 100%. and you're right about the volume, I just dont think steve is going to be interested in 100k hands a month. if you can get competant and get a good RB deal then you're abso right that its the best route for someone who wants to make a decent buck on a regular basis. say 40% rakeback and if you can rake £4k a month then £1600 p/month nearly £20k a year lovely jubbly even if you lose money at poker as long as you have enough in your account to continue to grind it doesn't matter much.

Again easier said than done ofc

Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 11:04:18 AM »

stay in your job

This of course is an option at least for the time being. As i am in Education the funding is available almost on a month to month basis so no one feels safe.

But also you are along time dead and i think that i would rather cut my cloth and have less income and spend it enjoying my family than daily to go to a job that i am starting to detest.

I have an interest in poker, i know the basics (ish), and would be pissed at myself if i didn't ask this question posed and get some advice from those who know a dam sight more than me.

Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 11:16:09 AM »

Do we think that playing on a site that offers Rakeback rather than on stars with FPP rewards is better for my cause, as Rakeback is cold hard cash whist FPP's at the lower levels is more about buying T tickets, or hitting Stella rewards etc.

Also the smaller fields in these lesser sites have may be an advantage.  I also understand that Stars is generally seen to be tougher for cash than smaller sites?

Steve
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 11:20:58 AM »

If there are decent games near to you, I'd be amazed if live cash games were not the best answer to your issue

Will look into this, thanks
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »

yh 100%. and you're right about the volume, I just dont think steve is going to be interested in 100k hands a month. if you can get competant and get a good RB deal then you're abso right that its the best route for someone who wants to make a decent buck on a regular basis. say 40% rakeback and if you can rake £4k a month then £1600 p/month nearly £20k a year lovely jubbly even if you lose money at poker as long as you have enough in your account to continue to grind it doesn't matter much.

Again easier said than done ofc

So if my need was 10K rather than 20k, only half of this amount of work  Smiley
JustinSayne

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »

Hate to be a downer, but if you are having to ask this kind of question, it is unlikely you will be successful in turning over a decent profit without a lot of coaching.

Its 2013 and the games not so easy Smiley
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 04:05:03 PM »

Hate to be a downer, but if you are having to ask this kind of question, it is unlikely you will be successful in turning over a decent profit without a lot of coaching.

Correct but Steve has said he has a full year if not longer to learn, and he clearly has some idea/motivation. Obviously it won't be easy but if Steve decides what route and really pursues it he is a big favourite. (With coaching/willingness to grind)

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 04:53:27 PM »

Very valid point and tbf i think i have indicated on prev threads that as an older guy i don't easily grasp the concepts that the younger/better players comfortably understand.  But i have been around this site for a little while and am really only asking for some ideas above what i have considered for my self.  I suppose a little confirmation really. ( I am also not the greatest pensman, LDO,  but really admire those that are)

That being said i do not believe that if i applied my self in a mature and organised way that these concepts are beyond my grasping.  As a more mature player it does give me some advantages, i do not want or need to set the world on fire, i certainly don't want to get money to blow on hookers and blow (although i do like to read about those that do Smiley ) . I can work within a BR which the fact that i have stayed in the micros for so long testifies, in fact when i cash i draw it out and spend it on the family, holidays and the like.  If i say i will grind X  for X  hours that is exactly what i will do. ect ect ect

As a young man i rose through the ranks of the Royal Enginners to become, at that point, the youngest Sergeant Major in the corp. This drive to be the best is in my make up and if i decide to succeed i will.  It is all of these little points that is making me ask for advice that is all.

As a recreational player i read lots but dismiss lots, in future maybe i need to get stuck in more theory and ask more questions.

Thanks again for your response.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:57:24 PM by Steve Swift » Logged
Skgv

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 06:42:37 PM »

Very valid point and tbf i think i have indicated on prev threads that as an older guy i don't easily grasp the concepts that the younger/better players comfortably understand.  But i have been around this site for a little while and am really only asking for some ideas above what i have considered for my self.  I suppose a little confirmation really. ( I am also not the greatest pensman, LDO,  but really admire those that are)

That being said i do not believe that if i applied my self in a mature and organised way that these concepts are beyond my grasping.  As a more mature player it does give me some advantages, i do not want or need to set the world on fire, i certainly don't want to get money to blow on hookers and blow (although i do like to read about those that do Smiley ) . I can work within a BR which the fact that i have stayed in the micros for so long testifies, in fact when i cash i draw it out and spend it on the family, holidays and the like.  If i say i will grind X  for X  hours that is exactly what i will do. ect ect ect

As a young man i rose through the ranks of the Royal Enginners to become, at that point, the youngest Sergeant Major in the corp. This drive to be the best is in my make up and if i decide to succeed i will.  It is all of these little points that is making me ask for advice that is all.

As a recreational player i read lots but dismiss lots, in future maybe i need to get stuck in more theory and ask more questions.

Thanks again for your response.
Really admire your post here an good luck an I actually even though u are in the older generation ( im stuck in the middle I guess!) hope an know u will succeed with your attitude.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: