blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 03:31:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272647 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Major clubs want automatic entry into the Champions League
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Major clubs want automatic entry into the Champions League  (Read 4837 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2016, 04:53:20 PM »

i know these feels ineivtable, that a closed shop is coming

it just feels compeltely wrong to me though, if you qualify on merit, you should get in

adverse consequences for domestic leagues i think, and i don't think the ECL would suffer if say chelsea, real, psg or bayern didn't make it one season.

what, in particular, do supporters of the big clubs think?

"Europe's biggest clubs are working with Uefa to review the format of the continent's elite competition.

European Club Association chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has suggested the top clubs should get direct entry into the lucrative Champions League.

The process is expected to last no longer than nine months."

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
fatcatstu

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 04:57:44 PM »

Ridiculous. They are getting worried that the spending power of some if the "smaller" clubs is increasing and they are attracting better players (see the likes of stoke and Everton in the premier league) therefore they might start struggling to make it.

Will just kill off competition in all the major leagues if it happens.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 05:01:33 PM »

to your first point, nothing is going to stop the spending power of say stoke, west ham and palace going up the way the distribution of prize money is for the new tv deal.

when stoke can get shaqiri, arnautovic, affelay, west ham payet, palace cabaye etc that will only accelerate from this summer, its £120m for finishing 20th next year....so big spending is guaranteed and a more even distribution of talent inevitable

this is fantastic new for competitive balance in the premier league and for the long term heatlh of the top flight and for future tv deal values

i don't think the logical next step from that is to then put a glass ceiling in place for these clubs if they progress beyond, say, Chelsea in any given season

My eyes are open wide
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 05:08:01 PM »

So what would be the benefits to the FA and the Premier League from such an arrangement?

Surely it would dick about with the league, and make it less attractive for people to put money into middling clubs if the prospect of 'doing a Leicester' was put out of reach.
fatcatstu

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 05:16:16 PM »

So what would be the benefits to the FA and the Premier League from such an arrangement?

Surely it would dick about with the league, and make it less attractive for people to put money into middling clubs if the prospect of 'doing a Leicester' was put out of reach.

This was my point.

Yeah the TV deal is still massive, but the money and prestige for champs league suddenly becomes nearly impossible to get?

It surely can't be allowed to happen?
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 05:45:01 PM »

This is exactly why every football fan should oppose financial fair play.

Best Bitter.
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 06:17:22 PM »

This is a silly point.

Financial Fair Play is essential to stop rich people using clubs as there play things and then leaving them in the crap.

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 06:23:07 PM »

This is a silly point.

Financial Fair Play is essential to stop rich people using clubs as there play things and then leaving them in the crap.

lol, seeing fans of the two manchester clubs debating this is like wondering which of Fred West and Harold Shipman are worse.

One would be totally in the crap if the Middle Eastern owners withdrew, the other would be totally in the crap, only with a lot more debt, if the drawbridge came up in Tampa Bay

both have pushed FFP to the limit, United's commercial revenue allows them to circumvent it anyway

My eyes are open wide
POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 07:21:18 PM »

Most likely instigated by Real and Barca we think?
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 07:41:33 PM »

I'd be pretty happy if there were no such thing as a champions league and wouldn't be bothered if Arsenal failed to qualify except for the fact it would have meant that we had slipped further away from being competitive for domestic titles. CL footie doesn't add a jot to my enjoyment of football, especially the laborious group stages

The idea of making it a non aspirational money go round makes it even less appealing.

sola virtus nobilitat
JohnCharver

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 07:45:53 PM »

doubtful they dropkick in, more likely english clubs. Chelseas flop this season, man u struggling the last couple.

POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 07:51:38 PM »

doubtful they dropkick in, more likely english clubs. Chelseas flop this season, man u struggling the last couple.

Chelsea and United could afford to not qualify for the CL for a few seasons. I suspect Real or Barca would be in huge trouble if they missed just once.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 08:13:48 PM »

This is a silly point.

FFP is to try and stop clubs breaking the Euro cartel. UEFA don't wanna see ''nothing'' clubs in their premier competition.

I'll be Shipman, you can be West.

Best Bitter.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 08:47:06 PM »

Always read that as Fantasy Fair Play however hard I try to retrain myself

sola virtus nobilitat
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 10:41:16 AM »

Agreed - why do Bayern/PSG/Madrid/Barca need this?  Surely this is a result of horrible Leicester qualifying this season, Chelsea not and Man Utd looking like missing 2 times out of 3.

If this happens it's an absolute disgrace.

Do you know the TV money split in Italy has a built in split to give teams with the most historical attendances a bigger split?  They also track Serie A performance back to the 1960s or something ridiculous to ensure the big boys get more.  My Udinese friend was telling me.

Why are these big clubs so pathetic that they don't have the courage to fight on merit?  Utter, utter cowards.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: