blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 04:15:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272675 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: Aledkanny
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  keane deleted
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: keane deleted  (Read 11830 times)
Div

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2005, 09:49:06 AM »

Why is their an insistence on DELETING contentious threads?

Can't you just LOCK them, so they eventually fade away? That way, everyone has full visibility as to what has been said.

I made a posting to this thread yesterday, then headed to the pub for my works night out. I now have no idea how the rest of the conversation went, which smacks of censorship rather than simply keeping a lid on a debate which may have got a bit heated.

'Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.'
- Warren Buffett

http://pokerdiv.blogspot.com
Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2005, 09:52:45 AM »

Can't you just LOCK them, so they eventually fade away? That way, everyone has full visibility as to what has been said.

I made a posting to this thread yesterday, then headed to the pub for my works night out. I now have no idea how the rest of the conversation went, which smacks of censorship rather than simply keeping a lid on a debate which may have got a bit heated.

Click to see full-size image.

Last Man Standing 2 - Champion!!               The Shrewdie's!!
Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2005, 10:11:23 AM »

Some idiot spoils it for everyone and the thread got deleted. The guy has been warned 3 times but still he does it. Mark Strahan was warned twice about his behaviour and he got banned.

This message will self destruct once a mod or administrator reads it in...

Nemesis, i have decided to take our conversation off the public forum, and continue it via PM with you.

Therefore you have an urgent PM from me id like you to read, and respond too.

although, i wont hold my breathe that your mature enough to discuss this

Dave

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2005, 11:00:52 AM »

Div, there isn't an insistence on deleting contentious threads. If the thread contains things that are considered to be flaming or offensive then locking serves no real purpose. In other instances, locking may be the appropriate course of action.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2005, 11:12:22 AM »

To be able to state your opinions on a debate without being flamed left right and centre is important. You get more opinions, on a forum such as this one, from players who would normally not post on a public forum as they can't be bothered with all the flames. Their freedom of speech should not be sacrificed because someone wants to exercise their same right to call everyone names.
Another benifit of a moderated forum is we don't have barrel loads of spam to sift through here.

If a thread is getting out of control, as this one had, after a fair warning, then deleting it is a necessary course of action IMHO.
True, there will be innocents unhappy with it but what can you do? They had a warning and it continued.
If the thread were to continue the behaviour would too, it would spread to other threads. Leaving it there as a monument would only encourage future such behaviour. If you wish for a thread not to be deleted then don't step over the line. There will always be innocent victims, who were enjoying the thread and playing nice, but that is the price we pay for a moderated forum.

I'm not too sure exactly what was said either, and admit to feeling morbidly curious too. I'll live without knowing though, we all know what a slanging match looks like.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2005, 11:14:57 AM »

who stepped over the line anyway??

johnlarsson
Big Jzer

Off duty clown

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2005, 11:16:51 AM »

someone help...

someone slagged scottish football. i stuck up for it.

went home

came in today and its been deleted....

was it a carry on from somthins i said...

my profile is number 1888  ha ha ha lmao
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2005, 11:34:49 AM »

who stepped over the line anyway??

I've no clue.
Just sticking my oar in on a theoretical level as it sounded like Ironside was getting a fair bashing.
You've got to be nice to the fish so they keep donating at the tables, so I thought I'd defend his decision.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Div

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2005, 11:45:50 AM »

Div, there isn't an insistence on deleting contentious threads. If the thread contains things that are considered to be flaming or offensive then locking serves no real purpose. In other instances, locking may be the appropriate course of action.

TightEnd  I'd suggest locking the THREAD, and deleting specific unacceptable POSTS within the thread.

(edited to correct name!)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 12:07:34 PM by Div » Logged

'Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.'
- Warren Buffett

http://pokerdiv.blogspot.com
Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2005, 11:52:48 AM »

Kev I'd suggest locking the THREAD, and deleting specific unacceptable POSTS within the thread.

Div, that wasnt Kev who said that, and just so you know it was Kev who did the correct thing in the first place, by deleting POSTS within the thread, instead of the un-nessesary act of deleting the whole thing.

ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2005, 11:58:55 AM »

Tank, an excellent post and i agree entirely.

I dislike it when threads are deleted and then we are all left guessing, i would prefer an explanation.
The way this thread had gone last night/this morning looked as if Iron had gone over the top, i asked for the reason behind the deletion and quite literally all hell broke loose!!

As i do know what happened in the original thread now (2 members decided to get very personal with each other) the thread was deleted to prevent further abuse, as for deleting the entire thread rather than just the offensive posts that is entirely at the discretion of the mods who have a tough decision.
IMO it was right to do it, though a side effect can be other threads popping up.

As we all know it is a thankless task to be a mod but so, so necessary and they do have the interests of all in mind, occasionally they may go about things in slightly the wrong way but never in their own interests.
I would just ask for a clear explanation as we are all interested parties.
Anyway 've got 24 PM's to delete Smiley

Ian

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2005, 12:23:44 PM »

TightEnd  I'd suggest locking the THREAD, and deleting specific unacceptable POSTS within the thread.

(edited to correct name!)

ok Div that's noted thank you

My eyes are open wide
rivered

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2005, 12:24:27 PM »

An icy breeze from the south will cause a lot of discomfort today.

Anyone got any tips for the weekend footy? I reckon Everton will beat Bolton.  No real reason, I just think they will!!

There's gotta be a way! He who dares wins! There's a million quids worth of gold out there - our gold. We can't just say 'bonjour' to it.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2005, 12:27:36 PM »

Tank, an excellent post and i agree entirely.

I dislike it when threads are deleted and then we are all left guessing, i would prefer an explanation.
The way this thread had gone last night/this morning looked as if Iron had gone over the top, i asked for the reason behind the deletion and quite literally all hell broke loose!!

As i do know what happened in the original thread now (2 members decided to get very personal with each other) the thread was deleted to prevent further abuse, as for deleting the entire thread rather than just the offensive posts that is entirely at the discretion of the mods who have a tough decision.
IMO it was right to do it, though a side effect can be other threads popping up.

As we all know it is a thankless task to be a mod but so, so necessary and they do have the interests of all in mind, occasionally they may go about things in slightly the wrong way but never in their own interests.
I would just ask for a clear explanation as we are all interested parties.
Anyway 've got 24 PM's to delete Smiley

Ian

again Ifm, that's all entirely reasonable, thanks

I wasn't, fortunately  Cheesy, around when as IFM describes it all hell broke loose but rest assured that we will do our best to learn from last night's events

My eyes are open wide
Nem

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2005, 03:00:55 PM »

although, i wont hold my breathe that your mature enough to discuss this
Dave

What is this comment trying to prove? Just trying to wind me up even more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: