blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:55:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272703 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Things I wish I knew
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things I wish I knew  (Read 112751 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: July 14, 2013, 11:02:39 PM »

How do they choose weather reporters on the telly?

Was your application rejected, then?

Well, not quite.  I guess they've all studied meteorology, but then there doesn't seem to be much consistency in what else they look for.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 14, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »

Well, not quite.  I guess they've all studied meteorology, but then there doesn't seem to be much consistency in what else they look for.

Somebody who spouts regular bollocks? You might have a chance Dan......  Tongue
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: July 14, 2013, 11:05:22 PM »

Somebody who spouts regular bollocks? You might have a chance Dan......  Tongue

Not if you apply first Wink

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2013, 11:10:34 PM »

How is the bloke in the Kellogg's Crunchy Nut adverts who keeps giving away his location by eating cereal still alive?

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 15, 2013, 06:11:41 AM »

What's the difference between assume and presume, please?

I know people say assume when they start on a mathematical proof, but I am struggling after that.

synonyms, just slightly different roots

I don't think that's true.

I had an embarrassing moment in a Supervision at Uni once, where I said assume and was corrected mid-sentence by a Tutor bearing the wearied expression of a man sick of having to explain the difference to oiks.

That's not always a reliable guide, a lot of academic types refuse to admit that English is actually still a living language and so definitions can change because of common usage. Also a lot of them never understood that English was not equal to Latin in the first place and some of their 'rules' were always wrong - in this case the former though.

I think the nominal difference is assume is opinion based and presume is probability based*, but common usage means they're both the same thing now. Although obviously it still makes a sentence sound better if you use them in the original context.

EDIT.* or is it the other way round? 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 06:14:12 AM by Jon MW » Logged

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2013, 07:53:14 AM »

What's the difference between assume and presume, please?

I know people say assume when they start on a mathematical proof, but I am struggling after that.

synonyms, just slightly different roots

I don't think that's true.

I had an embarrassing moment in a Supervision at Uni once, where I said assume and was corrected mid-sentence by a Tutor bearing the wearied expression of a man sick of having to explain the difference to oiks.

That's not always a reliable guide, a lot of academic types refuse to admit that English is actually still a living language and so definitions can change because of common usage. Also a lot of them never understood that English was not equal to Latin in the first place and some of their 'rules' were always wrong - in this case the former though.

I think the nominal difference is assume is opinion based and presume is probability based*, but common usage means they're both the same thing now. Although obviously it still makes a sentence sound better if you use them in the original context.

EDIT.* or is it the other way round? 

There are uses where one of them is clearly the only option but, where they appear interchangeable, I generally use presume if it relates to the future. I don't think you can presume something about the past or present. You can use assume about the future and I think Jon's opinion-based v probability or evidence-based is correct:
"You have never gone to a BlondeBash before but I assume you'll be going to this one."
"You have always gone to BlondeBashes so I presume you'll be going to this one."
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2013, 08:47:28 AM »

I think that's pretty much how I use them, but, as you say, I find it comforting to know I'm choosing the correct one with confidence.

Pedants gotta ped, and all that.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2013, 09:55:52 AM »

16. Why are all yoghurts simply given the name of the fruit used to flavour them EXCEPT peach which for some reason are called "Peach Melba"?

17. Why do Americans feel the need to speak to strangers when alone in lifts? I'm English, I don't want to talk to you unless I know you.
Peach Melba is a dessert with peaches, raspberry sauce and vanilla ice cream invented for an Australian opera singer called Nellie Melba.
Peach yogurts almost always have a hint of the above flavours, hence the name.

I have no idea why Americans speak to you in lifts.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2013, 12:27:01 PM »

Why is that whichever end of a box of tablets you open the leaflet always obstructs the easy removal of the strip of pills?

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 16, 2013, 12:54:24 PM »

Why is that whichever end of a box of tablets you open the leaflet always obstructs the easy removal of the strip of pills?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy%27s_law
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: July 16, 2013, 12:55:52 PM »

Same reason why it always takes three goes to put in an USB cable the right way round.
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 16, 2013, 01:27:43 PM »

I think that's pretty much how I use them, but, as you say, I find it comforting to know I'm choosing the correct one with confidence.

One of my teachers at school always told us that PREsume was based on PREvious information and that ASSume would often end with you making an ASS out of U and ME.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 01:30:31 PM by tomsom87 » Logged
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: July 16, 2013, 01:47:09 PM »

Same reason why it always takes three goes to put in an USB cable the right way round.

Haha, and it was always the right way originally but still wouldn't go in...

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 16, 2013, 01:59:08 PM »

One of my teachers at school always told us that PREsume was based on PREvious information and that ASSume would often end with you making an ASS out of U and ME.

First one sounds logical, but the second one is just being silly Wink

Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 22, 2013, 09:49:12 AM »

i wish i knew i was going to get tonsillitis the day before my hols...

rush to docs, meds and off we go,
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: