blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:55:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272683 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 ... 242 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Manchester United, that didn't last long. Seven up  (Read 493181 times)
Archer

View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: January 12, 2015, 12:36:53 AM »

Not good enough.

Same points total as this time last year. We may be in the CL spots but we won't stay there if the Gaalacticos continue to underperform like that.

Carrick pretty much the only bright spot of the day.

United at the moment remind a bit of City when they first got money.

Bought lots of very good players (Santa Cruz, Robinho, Benjani, Elano) but they played like individuals - not like a team.

It wasn't until Yaya Toure joined in 2010 that they became a team.

I understand and agree with the comparison with City in the sense that it that it can take a while for the new players to bed in  and a true trophy competing team to establish itself. City got the new owners at the start of the 2008/2009 season and it wasn't until 2010/2011 that they became a real force. Also agree that YaYa Toure was a big part of that along with Silva who arrived at the same time
to build on the platform of the likes of Kompany, Tevez,  Lescott & Barry. Many will scorn at the last 2 but they were both instrumental to City's early success.

With United now I'd suggest there is an absolute inevitabily they will be competing for the title again very soon. Probably from next season. Progression to establishing " a team" again will be quicker and so it should because they are starting from a far stronger base - 7 of the 9 players this season with most minutes played were an integral part of the 2012/2013 league winning side.

Incidentally, Benjani and Elano were pre the Abu Dhabi money. Santa Cruz was a crock at City - think he only started about 10 games in total.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: January 12, 2015, 01:42:59 AM »

Not good enough.

Same points total as this time last year. We may be in the CL spots but we won't stay there if the Gaalacticos continue to underperform like that.

Bought lots of very good players (Santa Cruz, Robinho, Benjani, Elano) but they played like individuals - not like a team.

I understand and agree with the comparison with City in the sense that it that it can take a while for the new players to bed in  and a true trophy competing team to establish itself. City got the new owners at the start of the 2008/2009 season and it wasn't until 2010/2011 that they became a real force. Also agree that YaYa Toure was a big part of that along with Silva who arrived at the same time
to build on the platform of the likes of Kompany, Tevez,  Lescott & Barry. Many will scorn at the last 2 but they were both instrumental to City's early success.

With United now I'd suggest there is an absolute inevitabily they will be competing for the title again very soon. Probably from next season. Progression to establishing " a team" again will be quicker and so it should because they are starting from a far stronger base - 7 of the 9 players this season with most minutes played were an integral part of the 2012/2013 league winning side.

Incidentally, Benjani and Elano were pre the Abu Dhabi money. Santa Cruz was a crock at City - think he only started about 10 games in total.

Of all the huge money Utd spent on sexy players, I have a feeling the least sexy of the lot, Daley Blind, might prove to be the best.

Could be a successor for Paul Scholes.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: January 12, 2015, 08:58:01 AM »

Not good enough.

I understand and agree with the comparison with City in the sense that it that it can take a while for the new players to bed in  and a true trophy competing team to establish itself. City got the new owners at the start of the 2008/2009 season and it wasn't until 2010/2011 that they became a real force. Also agree that YaYa Toure was a big part of that along with Silva who arrived at the same time
to build on the platform of the likes of Kompany, Tevez,  Lescott & Barry. Many will scorn at the last 2 but they were both instrumental to City's early success.

Of all the huge money Utd spent on sexy players, I have a feeling the least sexy of the lot, Daley Blind, might prove to be the best.

I hope you're right.

We could use a successor to the likes of Foulkes, Ure, Buchan, Pallister, Bruce, Stam, Vidic right now though.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: January 12, 2015, 11:29:14 AM »

Not good enough.

I hope you're right.

We could use a successor to the likes of Foulkes, Ure, Buchan, Pallister, Bruce, Stam, Vidic right now though.

I'm not sure you want "the likes of" Ian Ure, he was terrible.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: January 12, 2015, 11:31:19 AM »

Not good enough.

I hope you're right.

Ooooooooo Martin Buchan. I always had a beef with him. He was one of the hardest stickers to find in the 1975 collection. Had to part with about 25 swapsies for one Martin Buchan sticker...

It does seem weird defence wasn't addressed more in the summer though.

Lost Evra, Vidic and Ferdinand in the last 12 months and replaced them with......... Shaw and Rojo? That's a pretty huge downgrade.

Falcao seemed at the time as a weird signing, even more so now.

Unless Van Gaal really doesn't rate/like Mata.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: January 12, 2015, 02:24:58 PM »

Not good enough.

I hope you're right.

I'm not sure you want "the likes of" Ian Ure, he was terrible.

Fair point, although it's a close call. I'd take David May right now. Or McQueen, Johnsson, Berg, or Blanc.

George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: January 12, 2015, 02:45:20 PM »

No mention of Jaap Stam?

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: January 12, 2015, 03:09:27 PM »

No mention of Jaap Stam?

Between Bruce and Vidic in my original list.

david3103

View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: February 06, 2015, 01:01:11 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

We love them
We mourn for them
Unlucky boys of Red

I wish I'd gone down
Gone down with them
To where Mother Nature makes their bed

We miss them
Every night we kiss them
Their faces fixed in our heads

I wish I'd gone down
Gone down with them

They can't hurt you
Their style will never desert you
Because they're all safely dead

I wish I'd gone down
Gone down with them

BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: February 06, 2015, 04:53:05 PM »

Keep The Red Flag Flying High. Cause Man Utd, Will Never Die.

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: February 06, 2015, 04:55:27 PM »

One cold and bitter Thursday in Munich, Germany,
Eight great football stalwarts conceded victory,
Eight men will never play again who met destruction there,
The flowers of English football, the flowers of Manchester
Matt Busby’s boys were flying, returning from Belgrade,
This great United family, all masters of their trade,
The pilot of the aircraft, the skipper Captain Thain,
Three times they tried to take off and twice turned back again.
The third time down the runaway disaster followed close,
There was slush upon that runaway and the aircraft never rose,
It ploughed into the marshy ground, it broke, it overturned.
And eight of the team were killed as the blazing wreckage burned.
Roger Byrne and Tommy Taylor who were capped for England’s side.
And Ireland’s Billy Whelan and England’s Geoff Bent died,
Mark Jones and Eddie Colman, and David Pegg also,
They all lost their lives as it ploughed on through the snow.
Big Duncan he went too, with an injury to his brain,
And Ireland’s brave Jack Blanchflower will never play again,
The great Matt Busby lay there, the father of his team
Three long months passed by before he saw his team again.
The trainer, coach and secretary, and a member of the crew,
Also eight sporting journalists who with United flew,
and one of them Big Swifty, who we will ne’er forget,
the finest English ‘keeper that ever graced the net.
Oh, England’s finest football team its record truly great,
its proud successes mocked by a cruel turn of fate.
Eight men will never play again, who met destruction there,
the flowers of English football, the flowers of Manchester

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: February 16, 2015, 10:55:16 PM »

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, as a Preston lad through and through I thought we were in with a sniff there after that 1st goal. Oh well good luck Man U.....
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: February 16, 2015, 10:56:29 PM »

Season defining game against arsenal

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: February 16, 2015, 10:59:23 PM »

That was poor, again.

Winning Cup Quarter Finals doesn't define seasons for Manchester United.
Losing one might.

George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: February 16, 2015, 11:01:56 PM »

I think the after effect of winning or losing the game will be huge personally.

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 ... 242 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: