blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 02:31:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272657 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Travel the world - Suggestions
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Travel the world - Suggestions  (Read 6209 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2012, 10:06:49 AM »

Just for contrast, for me the pyramids was one of the most amazing man-made sights I've ever seem.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2012, 07:49:29 AM »

Just for contrast, for me the pyramids was one of the most amazing man-made sights I've ever seem.

Don't get me wrong...they are AMAZING. They certainly have the wow factor unlike some tourist attraction you travel miles to get to and then say 'oh...THATS IT?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?'

They're just poorly managed.

I'm don't mean to be facetious jj, but what do you want? A visitor centre and a gift shop?

The older I get, the better I was.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2012, 07:55:29 AM »

Don't get me wrong...they are AMAZING. They certainly have the wow factor unlike some tourist attraction you travel miles to get to and then say 'oh...THATS IT?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?'

They're just poorly managed.

I'm don't mean to be facetious jj, but what do you want? A visitor centre and a gift shop?

And an English pub that sells warm beer and does a full English for a fiver. Throw in some karaoke at lunchtime and its perfect.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
jgcblack

C'est la vie

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2012, 02:51:25 PM »

I am lucky enough to have traveled more than most.. my job involves worldwide travel and I've hit up some great places and some shocking ones.

There is some great advice in this thread, I'm not sure I can add any specific place related things as a lot of the 'big ones' have been done.

HOWEVER -
on actual traveling itself, I would always do the following:

- never go on a single day tour to anywhere (unless you absolutely have to - and then take a mate), always get a 2 or 3 or more day tour that involves the same place.  The 'people' I've met that want to be picked up at 8am and bussed around then taken back by 6pm have been some of the most unfriendly, uncultured and unpleasant people I've ever met.

- try anything and everything you can at least once, unless you physically can't stomach it, have allergies or it involves a high priority of losing a limb.... stuff that will kill you when it goes wrong is fine! I did a bungee jump in the Thai jungle at 9am having never seen the thing work before, I don't know what I was more afraid of, the 50ft impact or the safety mechanisms to save me.

- get used to rather interesting tasting alcohol, embrace it and its insane side effects... the most fun times are almost always the unplanned alcohol (and in some cases otherwise) fueled nights that have you 'magically' appear in your bed at 8am still dressed.

- backpack everywhere and use the backpacking community but obv be careful and cautious as it does have theft problems sometimes... but there will be so many people and they're all there for the same thing - A GOOD TIME! which leads to new friendships, adventures, changes of plans and sometimes a new life.

- take any aggression or conflict issues you have and shelve them.. in many places a disagreement or arguement can be settled in many more extreme ways than here in the UK.  Some of the biggest mistakes I've seen abroad is when someone can't back down and then realizes all too late that its not their home pub anymore... life costs a lot less outside of the UK more often than not.

- try your best to sleep as little as possible, for so many people you'll only be in that place the one time.. sleep is for the dead. (I'm super guilty of sleeping entire Sunday's away on a regular basis..)

I'll think of more I'm sure but that has to get you started...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: