blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 05:26:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272676 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16724 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2140 2141 2142 2143 [2144] 2145 2146 2147 2148 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6353049 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32145 on: April 26, 2013, 10:54:11 AM »

Any plans to get the Devilfish on the show?  Wink

Ha!

That MIGHT just be the Quip of the Year.

Oh my oh my, what a party we had.

The expression "got the wrong end of the stick" comes to mind, there seemed to be about 25 sticks, & somehow 50 wrong ends were grasped. I just sat there agog, as the various flights of fancy came tumbling out, one after the other. Just another day.

I must say I appreciated your input, I had previously underestimated your dry humour & wit, it was very very good, though I fear a considerable degree of whooshage was encountered. Like I said earlier, I get good & bad go-to's.

PS - seriously, thank you. Quite an experience, that.

it's quite funny actually, I often lambast 2+2 for all the trolls they have on there, but when I'm not plugging something my other posts are all pretty much me joining in with the rest of them.

That whole thread amazed me to be honest. I thought people who trolled Blonde had really personal axes to grind but the people who have beef with Sky Poker take it to another level.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32146 on: April 26, 2013, 10:57:15 AM »

Thinking back, we've Hosted quite a few Evebts at Broadway down the years, in one capacity or another. 

blondeBash, the first ever APAT Event (who won that?), Next Door, William Hill, with Phil, for the William Hill Grand Prix land-based qualifiers. I did 4 of those Wm Hill ones I think, Birmingham, Dublin - jeez, what a tale that one was! -  Glasgow or Edinburgh, & a private Club in London. Phil Laak, Esfandiaro & Miss Tilly attended the one in London, I can remember being starstruck at the time.

Oddly, I bumped into Esfandiaro (sp?) last year, assuming he would not recall it, & he reminded me of it. Might have been because I suggested he'd never win a big Tourney. I was right too. Well, One Drop I suppose, if you count that.

We went there (Broadway) for one Event, it was one of mine, part of the deal was we did a Live Update, it was the early years of blonde Live Updates. We got told we could not Update it, x had convinced the Manager that he had sole Updating rights. I was not quite sure how to sort it, but Micky Wernick got wind of it & was outraged, he went & saw the owner - a Mr Shinner was it? - & we got it sorted in a trice. 

Micky is one of a very small band of winners who, after a Live Update, always tipped the Live Updating Crew a nice drink. Thewy was another. Nice touch really, but a practice that soon disappeared. Just my luck I never did those gigs.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #32147 on: April 26, 2013, 11:05:08 AM »

What do they whine about with Sky poker? the live bunch who went to Leeds about 2 years ago (i remember as it was week daughter was born lol) seemed really nice bunch.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32148 on: April 26, 2013, 11:11:26 AM »

What do they whine about with Sky poker? the live bunch who went to Leeds about 2 years ago (i remember as it was week daughter was born lol) seemed really nice bunch.

I have no idea what they are all whining about, but all the rants I have seen the people involved seem to know a lot about each other personally, so I am guessing some people who have been banned or whatever take it so much harder because there is a real life element to it.

Probably shouldn't speculate though, as that leads to trouble as Tikay can confirm.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32149 on: April 26, 2013, 11:49:31 AM »

Make sure you catch these two on IPlayer tikay

Stunning

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0176ql9/Great_Bear_Stakeout_Episode_1/

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32150 on: April 26, 2013, 11:57:15 AM »

Stunning

^^^^^^^ this, loved it last night, love Parsnip, my heart sank when that big ass bear got a little too close to the TV crew
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32151 on: April 26, 2013, 12:21:16 PM »

I well remember it too, you were like a dog with two tails, I can even visualise your seat draw.

There was a journo, or hack there, too, he was bladdered something shocking, & even Finalled. Can't recall his name. Crater was it?

Reckoned he had a train to catch, so kept getting the lot in blind. And winning. Even outdrew Thewy, that takes some doing.

They are a lovely bunch, & the Live Events are a major & hugely enjoyable social occasion, never a spot of bad blood, though "face to face" makes a HUGE difference, people are different in real life. I never come away without half a dozen gifts from the players, usually books, or stuff I'm interested in.

A lot of the players form into Teams, or Collectives, & you know how it is with competitive spirit, emotions can run a little high sometimes & it can get personal. Some of this crystallises against the site, or myself, but it's balanced by a mountain of goodwill too.  Some days it all looks very dark, but mostly the sun shines.

Anyway, enough of work, & next door, I have some cracking concrete stories to upload, pictures & everyfink.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:25:53 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32152 on: April 26, 2013, 12:22:31 PM »

Churchill to appear on the £5 note:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22306707

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
TommyD

View Profile
« Reply #32153 on: April 26, 2013, 12:22:42 PM »

Stunning

Absolutely wonderful stuff.

On a semi related note, Tikay have you seen that 'Mountain Men' show on History?  Aside from the usual frustrating History channel stuff of only having 25 minutes of a show padded out to an hour, I find it fascinating.  It covers people who have basically decided to live 'off the grid.'  One of the best parts of it IMO is how you have one major character basically living on a hill on private land whining about how everything he's doing is hard (which to be fair compared to my life it probably is), then you look at the other two either living surrounded by bears and wolves in Montana or miles from another human being in the cold reaches of Alaska, and these two are really just getting on with it.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32154 on: April 26, 2013, 12:39:11 PM »

Stunning

Absolutely wonderful stuff.

On a semi related note, Tikay have you seen that 'Mountain Men' show on History?  Aside from the usual frustrating History channel stuff of only having 25 minutes of a show padded out to an hour, I find it fascinating.  It covers people who have basically decided to live 'off the grid.'  One of the best parts of it IMO is how you have one major character basically living on a hill on private land whining about how everything he's doing is hard (which to be fair compared to my life it probably is), then you look at the other two either living surrounded by bears and wolves in Montana or miles from another human being in the cold reaches of Alaska, and these two are really just getting on with it.

No, not yet.

I'm still watching "The men who built America", very good it is too, but as you say, they do pad it out with daft cutaway interviews all the time, completely out of context, simply to get an hours footage from 30 minutes of filming. I really don't enjoy Mr Trump telling me he does buildings.

Talking of "Mountain Men" I spied a cracking story today......

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32155 on: April 26, 2013, 12:50:19 PM »

Incredible the different ways we spend our leisure time.

Here, many players enjoy sitting in front of 12 Tables of poker, seems quite natural to them, whilst others would mock it. And we'd mock others for equally odd recreations.

Anyway, three north country mature Gents like measuring hills, to see if they should really be Mountains. Yup, that is how they spend their weekends, not doing daft stuff like poker, or aeroplane spotting.

There is a subtle difference betweern a hill & a mountain according to the Ordnance Survey peeps.

A hill stops at 2,000', an inch over & it becomes, officially, a mountain.

So our three heroes - yup, heroes are not confined to poker - have checked dozens of hills to meaure their precise height.

It works to the nearest metre, & they found a 609 metre high hill that was actually 609.62 metres high. Round that up to 610, bingo, we have a new Mountain.

How neat is that?

Thack Moor in Cumbria  is no more. Welcome Thack Mountain.

Click to see full-size image.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32156 on: April 26, 2013, 12:54:38 PM »

Weird hobbies & recreations?

How about this, which was Posted on blonde at about 4am this morning, by a gent who is normally a wonderful wordsmith? He had been Posting gibberish like this all night.

Indy a corner

minn wr

gb could be ol, could be rb, could be wr

hou wr

den ?

ne might be wr, welker has gone. usally defense though

stl rb could be lacy there

dallas fk knows, its jerry

baltimore linebacker

going to fall short on wr/qb unless trade ups

That is the COMPLETE Post, unedited.

WTF is that about? And who was the, err, "author"?

It was NOT China Mug.

dallas fk knows, its jerry

What?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:56:27 PM by tikay » Logged

mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #32157 on: April 26, 2013, 01:01:07 PM »

woah woah woah. let's not get tallness and height of mountains confused. Cheesy
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #32158 on: April 26, 2013, 01:09:29 PM »

Tighty?

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #32159 on: April 26, 2013, 01:13:04 PM »

Jerry is quite a character:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Jones

After several unsuccessful business ventures (including passing up the opportunity to purchase the American Football League's San Diego Chargers in 1967), he began an oil and gas exploration business in Arkansas, Jones Oil and Land Lease, which became phenomenally successful.

Net worth: $2.7bn

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Pages: 1 ... 2140 2141 2142 2143 [2144] 2145 2146 2147 2148 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: