blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 06:00:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272661 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The sun is shining:
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 ... 60 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The sun is shining:  (Read 190532 times)
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: February 15, 2012, 04:50:36 AM »

Cheers Mate, have no intention of driving in Manila. Was thinking of renting in AC and driving up north from there, I understand the roads are mostly sparse north of there anyway.

Probs not gonna get a driver its puts costs up and I just cba having a random hanging with me the whole time anyway. I'm just gonna suss it when I'm there anyway, I know I can rent a car fully comp for about £30 a day. I've driven around other parts of Asia and its not been a problem away from the big cities.

Nothing is set in stone anyway apart from a week with my mates in Manila and Puerto Galera, think they are doing some diving and stuff while I chill.

I like this guys circuit of North Luzon  Smiley

http://www.dutchpickle.com/philippines/luzon/loop-through-northern-luzon.html

http://www.dutchpickle.com/philippines/luzon/luzon-loop-sagada-onward.html

may be of some use:

http://www.jbrentacar.com/home.htm

http://www.viajerorentacar.com/

http://www.avalonrentacar.com/faq.htm

http://www.safarirentacarinc.com/safari_profile.html

Thanks, I have only 1 recommendation so far so I will check them out..
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 15, 2012, 05:28:01 AM »

Any recommendations for accommodation in Baguio Graham? Preferably no more than 1500 and close to somewhere to have a beer?

LOL I had to look twice at those strawberry pics to get it  Cheesy

The only hotel I have stayed in there is the Veniz Hotel which I have to say was very nice, clean etc, we didnt pay but the cost is showing 2,200php on this site:

http://directrooms.com/philippines/hotels/baguio-hotels/price1.htm

Thanks, I was recommended the same one by someone else too actually.

As I said we are 1 hour from Baguio, how long are you planning on spending there? You would be more than welcome to stay with Roxanne's family (our room will be empty) and there is always beer here (so long as you buy it for them  Wink )

Well if I do what I'm thinking of I will be heading through where Roxanne lives, San Fernando on the coast right?

The problem with me is I am an absolute wing it merchant, and whilst I have a few vague plans in place they are prone to change at any second depending on which way the wind is blowing!

Your offer is very kind but, and its a big but, it would be great to at least stop by or even stay over (and yes a I will buy more than just some Red Horse, I know the score  Cheesy ) if I do head that way. The reason I say that is I hate making plans and even more so hate letting people down after making plans so I tend not to do it. But if they would be willing to accept me on a couple of days notice after I know what I'm definitely doing I would actually enjoy that very much if the wind blows me up north. The likely dates if I make it that way would somewhere between 6-14th April and yes I'm a catholic and would go to church too if it was easter weekend.  Smiley

I totally understand if that is a too vague for them or if Easter could be a pain, just let me know if that is unacceptable  Smiley

Once again thank you for your kind offer, if you ever need a bed on a DTD weekend you are welcome to stay with me (10 mins away) irrespective of whether I say with Roxanne's family or not.

I understand completely what you are saying, I much prefer to my own thing rather than being tied down to plans. I will PM you the home phone number, my mobile also (you can call us and we can call them if you prefer). No need to worry about church it is only Roxanne in her family who attends and that is only when it suits her. San Fernando is correct and San Juan the surfing area is next up the coast so  I am told.

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 19, 2012, 05:49:34 AM »

Basketball

Sunday 19th February 2012

Basketball is massive to the kids here, a bit like soccer is in the UK. Every year to coincide with the City's Fiesta (Carnival) each barangay (village) holds a basketball competition, this is one of the main events in a barangays year.

In previous years there has just been one age group that of under 21's and Zone 5 (our zone, the village is split into 7 zones) has won the comp for the past 15 years with Roxanne's father as the coach.

This year they have split into 2 age groups 15 years and under and 25 years and under, this means Roxanne's brother who is now 21 can continue to play and it also means Cean aged  11 can come into consideration for the under 15's.

Each of the kits are hand made and it is up to each team to raise the funds for their strips, each one costing 300 pesos (£4.60) this is done by soliciting people in the village.

Yesterday was the opening of the tournament, all of the teams assembled on the village court for team photo's then commenced a parade through the town returning to the court for messages from local dignitaries and the playing of the National Anthem.

So to the 1st game, this is between the juniors of Zone 5 (our zone) and Zone 4, our team has around 15 players ranging from 15 years to the youngest of about 9 years, Cean is in the team but not in the starting line up to be fair he is not built for basketball but he does posess the technical skills and has heart and he accepts he is still young and his time will come.

In the first 3 periods our team build up a comfortable lead and with 2 minutes of the 4th period remaining much respect to the coach as he sends out 5 of the youngsters Cean included, not only young but small also this causes much cheering, laughter from the crowd and they managed to score 7 points in that 2 minutes. So we ran out comfortable winners.

The competition will continue over the next 2 or 3 weeks so we will have to be kept updated on our return to Guernsey.

taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 19, 2012, 05:50:14 AM »

taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 19, 2012, 05:50:52 AM »

taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 20, 2012, 03:42:43 AM »

The Story of Pong Pong

Monday 20th February 2012

Pong Pong (Pong for short) is 13 years old and has recently become a street kid (from what I can make out he's lived this way most of his life) the reason for this is is mother left home when he was very young and his father an alcoholic has recently passed away.

Pong and his father use to live/sleep in Nipa hut (bamboo shelter) in the garden of some family but now his father is no longer there to contribute the family have no use for Pong so he is on the streets.

Pong is not like other street kids in as much as he doesn't beg, he will go around collecting scrap metal to sell or he will go fishing, this is when I first became aware of him, we would see him each morning walk past the house to the river with a tin can tied around his waist and it transpires he would stand in the river and catch shrimps by hand placing them in the can, around lunchtime we would see him again with enough shrimps to sell for 30/40 pesos enough for his rice for the day.

Pong knocks around with Cean and the other kids around the neighbourhood and I got to know him as he was often at the house.

He really is a lovely lad always smiling. never asks for anything and very polite to his elders there is something about him that made me take to him immediately.

We spoke with Roxanne's parents and then we spoke with Pong and the agreement is that he will help mommy around the house in return she will feed him and he will sleep each night on a mattress in the lounge.

Pong is not a basketball player but he is the water boy and mascot of both the junior and senior teams of our zone, so because of this Roxanne and I arranged for him to have his own sando (vest) he is so pleased with this he hasn't taken it off since Saturday........
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:44:28 AM by taximan007 » Logged

taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 20, 2012, 03:43:12 AM »

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 20, 2012, 04:03:14 AM »

i frickin love you taximan

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 20, 2012, 04:15:14 AM »

Thank you, just a shame we couldn't meet up this time.

taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 20, 2012, 04:27:15 AM »

Monday 20th February 2012

On the scale of things when you look at some of the other diary's/threads on blonde this might not seem much to some of you, but to me it is MASSIVE and I would just like to say a HUGE THANK YOU to all of you who have taken time to read/post/PM me with regards to my own thread.

When I chose the title it was because it was a really beautiful day at Heathrow when I landed on that May morning, 4 years on and I have to say the title couldn't have been more apt as I can honestly say I can't remember a day since my return that has been anything other than SUNNY.

ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU ALL............

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 20, 2012, 04:47:29 AM »

Thank you, just a shame we couldn't meet up this time.

Mate I'm honestly more than a bit gutted - your offer was amazing.

I've pretty much decided I'm coming back to Thailand in the winter and probably staying a year, maybe with a short return to England for a couple of weeks at some point but I am going to try and visit you guys the next time you're in the Phillipines.

I met a Phillipino girl in Borneo who was just awesome fun. If only 10% of people are like that I'm sure it'll be a great place.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 20, 2012, 04:05:44 PM »

Amazing, Pong looks made up in his top.

Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 20, 2012, 04:15:01 PM »

thumbs up

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 20, 2012, 04:40:14 PM »

I'm not having a good day Taximan. 

You made it better. 

Thank you.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 20, 2012, 05:06:32 PM »

Amazing, Pong looks made up in his top.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 ... 60 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: