blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:40:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272691 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16948 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The most admired person in Great Britain is........
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The most admired person in Great Britain is........  (Read 14393 times)
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2015, 08:06:50 AM »

I don't think Radcliffe quite gets there. Seven London/New York/Chicago Marathon wins and six World Championships of various types is incredible, but there's the blot of no Olympic medals, so some of those mentioned must rank higher than her. But surely Farah has moved ahead of all the others now, excellent as they were. His Olympic and World Championships would be enough, but he has done plenty more than that - the most successful athlete from any country in the history of the European Championships, for example.

But that's ignoring her achievements on the road and at cross-country. Farah is fantastic, but he benefitted from Bekele being injured and others not being quite up to the standard. He's also flopped at the marathon so far, and on the road in general, so does that discount him from being the greatest? Paula produced world best times across a whole range of distances. Had Farah done that? Does winning a particular championship that happens at a certain time every four years constitute the mark of greatness? If so, then Farah would be ahead in the greatness stakes.

Does Messi and Rolando never having particularly brilliant world cups mean they can never be considered the best footballers? I know football's a team game ago it's different, but I've often heard that a player can't truly be a great until they've shone at the top stage - the world cup. But surely that's nonsense? I'm sure Best, Giggs, Dalglish and others would disagree.

The World Cup, for footballers, and the Olympics for athletes, are two completely different things.
A footballer can be exceptional, and never play in the World Cup (George Best), or never have a realistic chance of winning it (George Weah, or maybe even Ronaldo). Obviously, as a largely individual sport, Athletics/The Olympics, means that you are not reliant on the relative strength of your team mates.

I don't think anyone is denying that Paula Radcliffe has been a great athlete, but it's a stretch, given her poor record at World Championships/Olympics, to put her as the best ever British athlete.
I would certainly have Farah, Coe and Thompson above her.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2015, 09:11:51 AM »

Paula produced world best times across a whole range of distances. Had Farah done that?

Farah has recorded sub 3:30 for the 1500m, sub 13min for 5000m and sub 27min for 10,000m. Of all the great athletes over the years, not one of them has ever achieved all three of those before.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2015, 09:48:28 AM »

I don't think Radcliffe quite gets there. Seven London/New York/Chicago Marathon wins and six World Championships of various types is incredible, but there's the blot of no Olympic medals, so some of those mentioned must rank higher than her. But surely Farah has moved ahead of all the others now, excellent as they were. His Olympic and World Championships would be enough, but he has done plenty more than that - the most successful athlete from any country in the history of the European Championships, for example.

But that's ignoring her achievements on the road and at cross-country. Farah is fantastic, but he benefitted from Bekele being injured and others not being quite up to the standard. He's also flopped at the marathon so far, and on the road in general, so does that discount him from being the greatest? Paula produced world best times across a whole range of distances. Had Farah done that? Does winning a particular championship that happens at a certain time every four years constitute the mark of greatness? If so, then Farah would be ahead in the greatness stakes.

Does Messi and Rolando never having particularly brilliant world cups mean they can never be considered the best footballers? I know football's a team game ago it's different, but I've often heard that a player can't truly be a great until they've shone at the top stage - the world cup. But surely that's nonsense? I'm sure Best, Giggs, Dalglish and others would disagree.

The World Cup, for footballers, and the Olympics for athletes, are two completely different things.
A footballer can be exceptional, and never play in the World Cup (George Best), or never have a realistic chance of winning it (George Weah, or maybe even Ronaldo). Obviously, as a largely individual sport, Athletics/The Olympics, means that you are not reliant on the relative strength of your team mates.

I don't think anyone is denying that Paula Radcliffe has been a great athlete, but it's a stretch, given her poor record at World Championships/Olympics, to put her as the best ever British athlete.

What about athletes whose events aren't at the Olympics?  They can never be great athletes?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2015, 09:51:46 AM »

Paula produced world best times across a whole range of distances. Had Farah done that?

Farah has recorded sub 3:30 for the 1500m, sub 13min for 5000m and sub 27min for 10,000m. Of all the great athletes over the years, not one of them has ever achieved all three of those before.

Yes, all fantastic times. None of them world best/records though?  I too think he's one of the best British athletes of all time, but I just don't think he's as great as Paula. Her dominance in road racing was absolute. The 'blot' on her greatness being her track record, well Mo has the bot on his greatness being his road record.  Maybe time will help Mo and he'll go on to excel on the road as well.  But he hasn't done what Gebrselassie or Bekele managed on the road when they made the transition. Of course, this doesn't stop him being a great on the track.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:39:36 AM by kinboshi » Logged

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2015, 10:05:29 AM »

What about athletes whose events aren't at the Olympics?  They can never be great athletes?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2015, 10:16:18 AM »

Lord Coe, who probably knows a bit about athletics, is in the Mo camp.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/athletics/mo-farah-become-britains-greatest-2172972

Brendan Foster seems to think the same.

On 10 August 2013, Farah held off a run by Ibrahim Jeilan to win the 10,000 m event at the World Championships in Moscow. The victory was his fourth global title. On 16 August 2013, Farah won the 5,000 m event, in the process becoming double world and Olympic champion. After this victory, BBC commentator Brendan Foster and Sebastian Coe called Farah 'Britain's greatest ever athlete'

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2015, 01:27:21 PM »

I think the Camel covered this a while ago on a sports thread, but if Seb Coe isn't a former drugs cheat, I'll eat my keyboard.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2015, 01:48:58 PM »

I think the Camel covered this a while ago on a sports thread, but if Seb Coe isn't a former drugs cheat, I'll eat my keyboard.

about as likely as edwards being a cheat imo
jakally

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2015, 02:52:36 PM »

Would be gutted if that was the case, but must be likely some successful Brits from that era were less than clean.
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2015, 08:22:40 PM »

Highly doubtful that anyone who has made it to the top of their sport in the last 30 year wasn't on some type of performance enhancer. 
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2015, 08:27:16 PM »

Would be gutted if that was the case, but must be likely some successful Brits from that era were less than clean.

Wouldn't be right to point the javelin at anyone in particular.
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2015, 01:18:04 AM »

If you study his career you'll see it's more than a little likely unfortunately.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2015, 11:50:24 AM »

If you study his career you'll see it's more than a little likely unfortunately.

I find it hard to believe this of Coe given his very high profile and establishment leanings. Surely the 'story' would have had a wider airing than a few sideways digs on the Internet by now.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2015, 01:53:08 PM »

I find it hard to believe this of Coe given his very high profile and establishment leanings. Surely the 'story' would have had a wider airing than a few sideways digs on the Internet by now.

Maybe his profile and establishment leanings would help ensure it's kept quiet (if there's anything to keep quiet)?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: