blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 01:20:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272683 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Arsenal FC a very promising story
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 ... 279 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arsenal FC a very promising story  (Read 608700 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: August 15, 2016, 09:45:17 AM »

a take from yesterday from one of the top football writers

Henry Winter ‏@henrywinter

Nothing new. Arsenal been drifting for some time under Wenger. Club lacks leadership. Nobody in club holds Wenger properly to account.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: August 15, 2016, 10:08:06 AM »

I think the big take away for me from yesterday is the very old fashioned view held by AW, that the Euro participants needed extra time off, whilst all over the place they were scoring and putting up excellent performances.

These guys have(or should have) supposedly almost super human type fitness levels. A month off should be more than enough.

Another AW fail.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: August 15, 2016, 11:14:51 AM »

Never seen Wenger look so dejected in a post match interview. Huge contrast to Klopp. Maybe this is the year they fail to break the top 4?

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: August 15, 2016, 12:32:49 PM »

As long as we avoid injury crises I think we're still favourites for top 4. That in itself is basically the problem though lol. I was with some arsenal fans yesterday who were hoping for 5 Liverpool goals. I've given up on the idea though that this club intends to try and win the PL. if we fell out of the top 4 we'd probably spend enough to get back in but no more.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: August 15, 2016, 12:37:42 PM »

would there be a sense of surprise that with koscielny not fit, metersacker injured, gabriel injured and knowing you are down to holding and chambers (not that they are especially to blame for conceding four goals) that spending £10m on Ashley Wlliams wasn't an option?

a real leader (something arsenal are short of), not expensive etc

or is it just not the style to do a short term signing?

independent of this, i just don't see wenger in tune with the modern day transfer market at all

still going to win next weekend at leicester though, so all will be fine come saturday!

(by the by, ranierie said after our bad result that we were 70% fit. was the date of the start of the season a surprise or something? did it sneak up out of nowhere?)

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: August 15, 2016, 01:05:34 PM »

Williams signing was a tap in. Can't believe Arsenal or even Liverpool didn't try and pick him up

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2061 on: August 15, 2016, 02:29:39 PM »

To buy Williams makes sense but with 5 CB's on the books + Monreal you would need to offload one?  BFG the only option to sell and not going to happen while injured?  Don't think long term squad harmony would have been helped buying another at this stage, how do you bring Chambers and Holding on this season if you have 4 senior men in front of them.  However agree Williams is just the character type required from what I can see.

I don't think there were any real surprises in yesterday result or performance, Arsenal will need someone to underperform to make top 4 and Liverpool will need to find a defence before the can challenge.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: August 15, 2016, 02:32:28 PM »

To buy Williams makes sense but with 5 CB's on the books + Monreal you would need to offload one?  BFG the only option to sell and not going to happen while injured?  Don't think long term squad harmony would have been helped buying another at this stage, how do you bring Chambers and Holding on this season if you have 4 senior men in front of them.  However agree Williams is just the character type required from what I can see.

I don't think there were any real surprises in yesterday result or performance, Arsenal will need someone to underperform to make top 4 and Liverpool will need to find a defence before the can challenge.

Bringing in Williams and loaning out Chambers would have made sense.  Watford would have taken Chambers and given him plenty of game time in the back 3.
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: August 15, 2016, 05:39:09 PM »

Senderos is available on a free transfer.......and somehow he is only 31?!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37085833?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

Best Bitter.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: August 15, 2016, 06:07:58 PM »

Bringing in Williams and loaning out Chambers would have made sense.  Watford would have taken Chambers and given him plenty of game time in the back 3.

Would have been a great solution.

muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: August 15, 2016, 10:57:13 PM »

would there be a sense of surprise that with koscielny not fit, metersacker injured, gabriel injured and knowing you are down to holding and chambers (not that they are especially to blame for conceding four goals) that spending £10m on Ashley Wlliams wasn't an option?

independent of this, i just don't see wenger in tune with the modern day transfer market at all

Thing is i don't think 'Wenger out' actually solves anything except we probably sacrifice on a very good tactician. Because who's to say the next manager in won't have to submit to spending requests of the board? If every man and his dog can see there's a need for a CB and striker it's not going to be beyond Wenger is it. Some other factors must be at play.

Wenger cleverly managed to get hold of Ozil on deadline day while Sanchez and Xhaka became done deals in an extremely efficient manner. He can do it if he chooses to. I think the fact that the philosophy of the club currently puts churning a profit over anything else is more to blame than Wenger.

The only possible solution i can see to this - fans need to vote with their pockets. 
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: August 15, 2016, 11:27:38 PM »

I think if Wenger is as important to the club as we are all lead to believe, if he wanted to spend, he would tell the club. In turn, if he is that determined he would then tell the board he is not at his optimal best if he can't buy "X". If he can't spend he offers his ticket.... It just doesn't happen really, does it?!

By supposing the next manager will be under the same constraints(that we don't really know exist), would be almost doing a Wenger and making some pretty broad assumptions to justify doing nothing.

I have said for a long time, the man is too proud. He has basically seen footballing strategy at the top table move on, and the fans picked it up before he did. Now, almost to try and prove everyone wrong he is too dogmatic to follow suit

hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: August 17, 2016, 12:10:51 AM »

The best news you could hope for this season?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11945/10539804/uefa-considers-changing-format-of-champions-league-in-favour-of-top-teams

Best Bitter.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: August 17, 2016, 10:45:21 AM »

Further down that article is the usual annoyance of clubs complaining that they don't get to play in it if they finish below 4th.  Tip for Man Utd/Chelsea/Liverpool/AC Milan: this situation can be avoided by having a completely average season and meeting the relatively generous qualifying criteria.

muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: August 23, 2016, 01:20:15 PM »

Just out of curiosity, have there been any big names in football who have come forward and praised Wenger for how he operates in the transfer market? Or is it the case that everyone unanimously agrees that he has no f idea what he's doing anymore.

8 days left of the window and even the rumours are drying up. I just don't get it.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 ... 279 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: