blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 12:44:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272657 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Bad Beats
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bad Beats  (Read 4798 times)
Sunday8pm

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2005, 09:02:47 PM »

guys,

i thought id post a new topic, as we speak i have just lost my entire poker bankroll in a 30 minute routine session of limit poker which has just made me reconsider my pokering future, and also has made me slightly more sceptical about the way poker sites work.

5 hands out of 6 i got the following hands (the hands me broke me!)

1st hand KK flop Q63 rainbow, busted by AQ with a Q river

2nd hand AJ flop 3AJ, another player has 33

3rd hand TT flop Txx, river K, busted by KK

4th hand AA flop 734 all diamonds (im carrying Ace diamonds), busted by 77 with no diamond on turn or river.

5th hand KK busted by an ace turn ( someone had no right to call the flop i think he had A5 with no straight or flush draws on the flop.

I am young and maybe its my youthful inexperience thats made me be so naive about thinking online poker is fixed, but its hard to take a run of beats like that on the chin because they cost me. I was playing 5/10 limit. i think altoghether the pots cost me over 600. I am usually a consistent player and take home average 1k a month, but recently things have dried up a lot and i seem to get outdrawn a lot, maybe i should go to no limit? Any advice guys?

Before my next deposit i am going to have to think twice because i read an article (whether its true or not remains to be seen) where crypto was described as 'rife with corruption'

http://www.cryptologicsucks.com/managearticle.asp?c=10&a=129

i would appreciate any advice, sorry if it sounds so negative, i guess im using the forum to vent my frustration!

Ben
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 09:04:17 PM »

if you lost all your bankroll in 30 minutes your playing at the wrong level for your bankroll

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 09:19:51 PM »

i have over $4k in an online bankroll and wont go near a limit table bigger 50c/$1
and try to play PLO or NLHE at 10/25cent level sometimes 25/50cent if there is no action
lower

untill i get it to 10-20k i wont even think of playing much higher

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 10:10:11 PM »

That's tough Sunday, but these runs happen, live & online, in our favour & against us. We have all had nights (not enough I regret) where the deck hits us in the face, but some nights it goes the other way.

I have consistently argued on blonde, and elsewhere, that there is NO REASON WHATSOEVER for online sites to "fix" the cards. It does not earn them any more money, so why should they do it? Think MOTIVE. What IS their motive?

Which is a prelude to defending Cryptologic, & I needed to make that point before someone says "ahh, but you would say that, Crypto have just given you 500". Well they did not give it to us, they gave us nothing, they gave it to the blondeites. And we have no commercial relationship with Crypto whatsoever. We have relationships with members of the Crypto network, but I don't think that prevents me from defending Crypto.

So that frees me up to say I find the site you named to be grossly offensive, & bang out of order. Crypto is a network of sites which includes some major, & respectable organisations, & it's just out of order and plain wrong to suggest they are corrupt or fixed. I hope when you have calmed down a bit Sunday, you will realise you have been a little unfair on them.

Of COURSE we sympathise with you, some of them were real ugly beats, but that's poker, it does happen. I hope you feel less sore in the morning & will reconsider your decision to post that link.

blonde is actually a "no Bad Beat" zone, but in this case, I understand your frustration, and boy oh boy, I feel for you, 600 in one session is seriously painful. I hope you feel better about it in the morning fella, & that the deck hits you in the face the next time you play, wherever, & on whatever site, it may be.

Sleep well buddy, tomorrow is another day. And believe me, far worse things happen off the table.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 10:47:12 PM »

You did NOT cause me offence Sunday, but I'd have preferred you did not post that link, that's all.

As you admit, you've had a bad night, & needed to get the frustration out of your system, well you have done it now, & we will look after you, you are family now.

And NO, you were not necessarily "lucky, and not a good player after all". Poker players experience violent swings in both directions, be they amateurs or big names, they all suffer it at some time.

You have very sensibly & maturely said you will sleep on it, I am sure you will have got it out of your system by the morning.

So no offence was caused to me (though you wont get a Crimble Card from Crrypto....!), and if you feel a little better about it now - such as you can after bombing 600 - well it's served it's purpose.

See you Thursday in the Crypto Blonde Tourney I hope. Now, if tikay wins that you may have a case.......

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 10:49:14 PM »

I always find it a good idea to avoid any serious stakes after such a loss until i'm completely over the loss and my focus has returned - however long that takes.

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
jbsc7769

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 10:50:08 PM »

Whilst Blonde is a "Bad Beat Free" zone, we have all experienced them and certainly can all relate to them. It is one of the most frustrating things that happen in out game. That said, by the fact that you "take home average 1k a month" and have just lost 600, personally I do not think that yo uhave too much to worry about. The hands that you lost, you got your money in whilst you were in front and to be fair, that is your goal in poker. If yo udo that, you WILL be a winning player. Congratulations!
The hands you mention, there is really only the AA v 77 that I would say is really painful and to be honest, you were actually behind from the start in two of them! (see Below for approx percentages)

1st hand KK v AQ - 70%/30%
2nd hand AJ v 33 - 47%/53%
3rd hand TT v KK - 20%/80%
4th hand AA v 77 - 80%/20%
5th hand KK v A5 - 70%/30%

Let me say one thing that I think is key to this post. You mention that you just had a healthy withdrawal for a holiday. It is a proven fact that when you make a sizeable withdrawal, the way you play is affected. It is mathematically proven that anytime you lower your bankroll in a game that has variances, you increase the chances of going broke. In effect this is what Ironside was saying about your bankroll. There is a natural impulse to be concerned when you run a little low of funds and it leaves a situation where you leave yourself underfunded for your games. Others refer to this as the "Cashout Curse". Lee Jones wrote and excellent article on this in card player some time ago, I will see if I can dig out the link for you.

Let me address your other comments about online gaming.
I want to repeat what Tikay has already said, these sites make millions upon millions of pounds, why would they risk all of that by having a crooked game? One hint of any inpropriatry and they would lose evrey single customer overnight.
Why would they want you to lose with, for example AA v 77. Already we know that it will lose twice in ten hands (on average). I hear frequently that players think the sites have vendettas against them!!! WHY WOULD THEY???
What I am saying is, presented with the facts that you have written, why, for even one minute, would you doubt whether to play online. You have had a bad run. I can promise you that if you continue to play, you will have another. BUT, if you keep playing your game the way you have been doing, you will succeed. I would take most of those hands that you have stated above, you got your chips in when you were in front (I remember Tikay and Julian saying something along those lines to me...). . Well done to you and good luck if you contimue on the online route.

Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 10:51:33 PM »

sure thanks for the advice tikay.

what i wrote was purely out of frustration, i also believe the site i named to be talking BS but thought at the time it was appropriate to add that link. obviously i realise that wasnt the right thing to do sorry for that.

I am young, not 20 for a long while yet and havent suffered such a bad run yet, of course i get lucky sometimes, but i rarely bad beat someone else. theres still that element in my mind that tells me something is wrong.....maybe its collusion.

i think i will have to sleep on it and reconsider in the morning, maybe i was lucky to win the money i have so far and im not a good poker player, who knows.

once again tikay sorry for any offence caused

sunday

you do know, if you regret posting the link, you can modify your post and take the link out.

Click to see full-size image.

Last Man Standing 2 - Champion!!               The Shrewdie's!!
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 10:52:19 PM »

Cue a "bad beat" section of the forum ?

Wink

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
jbsc7769

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 10:54:16 PM »

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/?a_id=13994&m_id=65535

That is the link that I mentioned about the "cashout curse", I hope you find it useful

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 10:59:51 PM »

I'd rather not Karabiner, unless it's by popular demand.

I take one part of jbsc's excellent post (yes, "excellent", and he's a buddy, so a bit of discount can be applied to my comments).

If youi consistently get your money in when you are ahead, then....

You ARE a good player.

You WILL make money in the long run.

It really is as simple as that.

Don't change your style or methods Sunday, you will be OK. As to the size of your bankroll, that's another matter on which I am less qualified to offer an opinion. Coping with Bad Beats is my speciality subject!

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 11:06:30 PM »

The one jbsc sent? Glad to hear that. You know, I keep my bad beats to myself, but there is a theory that these feelings are better if aired, they heal better. I kinda think this little thread has been of some help. I sure hope so.

And thanks to Dave for his subtle post, too.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 11:18:40 PM »

Well I played two tourneys online tonight:

$20 rebuy on Laddies 14th, 10 got paid.

30 freezeout 15k gtd on Crypto 52nd, 50 got paid.

Huh?

5 golf with Tom G , won 2and 1. I feel better already recalling that. You were missed Tikay.

Grin

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 11:24:36 PM »

What a great post from jsbc.
Looked at the blog as well Simon, you lucky lucky man.

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
chrisbruce

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 11:24:58 PM »

Hi Sunday

I can relate directly to your online experiences and have all but given up online poker except for the occasional satalite tournament such as the WSOP on crypto on sunday. Whilst I agree with TKs argument at the amount of money online sites are making just by hosting games I feel in my own mind that the software is designed to draw you into more pots. To often I have heard similar stories from people who play online the classic ones being.

1. I tried XXXpoker.com and for a while I could do no wrong......then I started to lose
2. I withdrew some cash from my account and now I cant win
3. Online sites favour drawing hands ( a flush draw is 50%+ on line - imoa)
4. Certain players consistently hit cards at key times (although Ali bag of bollocks does this live at the gala week on week)

Ultimately those players who continue to make money on line will always defend online sites and players who have lost will no doubt say they are bent. My own experience involved winning an average of a grand a week for 2/3 months and then giving it back in 10 days with a series of horrible outdraws I wont bore you with. That was 6 months ago and I have been online twice for the wsop satalites since and that is it.

Remember online poker is the crack cocaine of poker...highly addictive and difficult to leave alone winning or losing.

There are many reasons why I like to play poker but the subtleties of a live game and the satisfaction when you spot a tell in someones game far outway any online experience
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: