blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 11:22:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272702 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2906 2907 2908 2909 [2910] 2911 2912 2913 2914 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6362067 times)
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #43635 on: October 25, 2015, 11:39:32 AM »

Now that was always an event on the estate, when a chimney was on fire, belching black smoke, & occasionally flames, too, as all us kids stood & watched in awe. There was never any damage or real danger, of course, the fire was contained within the flue, but always a great excitement to us kids.

Wasn't the technique to starve the chimney of oxygen to put out the fire?  I vaguely remember my parents putting a newspaper over the fireplace opening tho I don't know why it didn't just burst into flames.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43636 on: October 25, 2015, 11:44:56 AM »

Now that was always an event on the estate, when a chimney was on fire, belching black smoke, & occasionally flames, too, as all us kids stood & watched in awe. There was never any damage or real danger, of course, the fire was contained within the flue, but always a great excitement to us kids.

Wasn't the technique to starve the chimney of oxygen to put out the fire?  I vaguely remember my parents putting a newspaper over the fireplace opening tho I don't know why it didn't just burst into flames.

Don't know, we used to put a newspaper over the fireplace opening to help "draw" the fire when first starting it. And yeah, it often caught fire.

They chimney fires put themselves out, once the soot had burned off, the flue was made of clay & did not burn, so it was never dangerous, but it was jolly exciting to us kids.

That was one of my daily chores - light the fire every morning. No firelighters, just chopped wood (old railway sleepers, chopping those up was my job, too, & they were great as they were impregnated with oil & creosote), & newspapers, with the coal on top. We had good coal, mind, South Wales anthracite, because we got it from the Railway stocks as a free perk.  
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 11:46:42 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #43637 on: October 25, 2015, 01:03:47 PM »

Wasn't the technique to starve the chimney of oxygen to put out the fire?  I vaguely remember my parents putting a newspaper over the fireplace opening tho I don't know why it didn't just burst into flames.

Don't know, we used to put a newspaper over the fireplace opening to help "draw" the fire when first starting it. And yeah, it often caught fire.

They chimney fires put themselves out, once the soot had burned off, the flue was made of clay & did not burn, so it was never dangerous, but it was jolly exciting to us kids.

That was one of my daily chores - light the fire every morning. No firelighters, just chopped wood (old railway sleepers, chopping those up was my job, too, & they were great as they were impregnated with oil & creosote), & newspapers, with the coal on top. We had good coal, mind, South Wales anthracite, because we got it from the Railway stocks as a free perk.  
When we moved over from Bermuda I was 10, 5 of us moved into an old WW2 pre-fab with my Gran. So from waking up putting on a pair of shorts and running down to the bay to catch fish for breakfast to waking up pulling on a coat & lighting the fire. Good coal as well, once a month Gran got a ton dropped off from the Coal Board in the street outside, I got the fun job of moving it into the bunker round the back, then doing the same for the other 3 miners' widows in the street.

Since the prefab's were low bungalows like this:
 Click to see full-size image.
I got another fun job - shin up the drain pipe & someone would hand me up a long handled brush so I could sweep the chimney, again, if I was doing one I got sent to do the rest.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
winshoes

View Profile
« Reply #43638 on: October 25, 2015, 02:56:44 PM »

Tony,

Thanks for the welcome to the site.

As I am someone who has only been playing PL08 DYM's for a year now, I wondered if you could help me with a question.

Is it more important to play one game optimally to try and ensure you reach the magical 60% figure, or are you better off multi-tabling and making 57% but earning more rakeback/rewards/freerolls?
I know, as it is the game of choice for us both, that 60% is thought to be the magic figure.
Would this percentage alter with factoring rakeback and freerolls/rewards earnt due to high levels of games played.
For example, with the PL08 DYM's next-door, concentrate exclusively on single-tabling the £10 for 5 games a night, in preference to multi-tabling the £3 and £5 games that run more frequently for 30 games a night.

Cheers.

Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #43639 on: October 27, 2015, 12:58:52 PM »

Just to clarify, it was your term 'quadragenarian' that piqued me, not any comparison to the young and lovely Gill.

Why?

Everyone is a something-a-genarian./b]

You are a quadragenarian.

Your Mother (I'm being kind because she scares me a bit) a quinquagenarian.

Uncle Ralph is a septuagenarian.

And your dad is an obdurateagenarian.  

Not everyone actually.
Never mind, the important thing is I've got your number.  Folded Arms
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:04:34 PM by Redsgirl » Logged

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43640 on: October 27, 2015, 02:27:19 PM »

Will catch up with replies soonest, I'm a busy boy right now.

More waffleage here, Pink Lady & The Chemist

http://bit.ly/1Ny2vSe

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43641 on: October 27, 2015, 05:48:41 PM »

stick with this

possibly the best letter i have ever read

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #43642 on: October 27, 2015, 06:13:41 PM »

stick with this

possibly the best letter i have ever read

Pretty sure that's urban folklore Tighty. Nonetheless still funny.

Ah! The element of surprise
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #43643 on: October 29, 2015, 10:55:53 PM »

I don't know how much Gill is driven by personal bests etc Tikay, but this was shared between a couple of Blondes on Facebook....

George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #43644 on: October 30, 2015, 02:03:07 AM »

The sex or the marathon?

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #43645 on: October 30, 2015, 02:07:38 AM »

I don't know how much Gill is driven by personal bests etc Tikay, but this was shared between a couple of Blondes on Facebook....

Old people run slower and don't have sex as often.  Really think it is that simple.  I might be wrong.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #43646 on: October 30, 2015, 08:18:57 AM »

Old people run slower and don't have sex as often.  Really think it is that simple.  I might be wrong.

QFT

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43647 on: October 30, 2015, 09:10:37 AM »

If you could go back to being school leaving age again, what job would you like to do?

Assume it's today's world so rule out chimney sweep, steam train driver etc like the first time around.

So, back to the question.

First up, National Service. Not fussed which one, probably Navy, but any really. The Army might work, too, the "spit & polish" appeals, & the self-discipline they instil. ALL kids should do National Service imo, I certainly wish I had.

After that?

Well being a pro sportsman would be the nuts, & if so, the choice is easy - pro golfer. Their career, typically, can endure for up to 40 years, & they earn pots of money. Dear old Jim Furyk, who I adore, as he plods round every week with his trusty caddy, has earned - in golf winnings alone, excluding endorsements & the like - $70 million.

The lifestyle is good, too, most of the Tour is held in beautiful weather, & you get too see plenty of nature on the golf course.  Grass & trees in abundance are one of life's great luxuries.

Non-sports?

Something a bit edgy, I suppose, one of these guys who are a bit dark & mysterious, such as an on-track bookmaker, or a "scrap metal dealer". A night person, with no obvious income, but always flashing the cash.

I used to go to Greyhound Racing every night at one time, & I used to stand & stare, in complete awe, at the rails bookies, in their posh crombies & fancy dan hats (always at a jaunty angle, obv), counting wads of £10 notes. I so wanted to be that man. Yes, would love to have done that, coolest job ever.

I used to - still do - be in awe of drummers in rock bands, too. Always the drummer. Oh yes, I could be the drummer in Squeeze, Eagles, Chili Peppers, Floyd, & most of all, Aerosmith.

Any job except a 9-5 affair, really. Never had a 9-5 job, always had a flexible hours thing, & as a Manager I loved MBWA.

National service would just be a waste of money. Military discipline works because those who have signed up,wish to be subject to it.

Cymru am byth
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #43648 on: October 30, 2015, 10:18:31 AM »

National service would just be a waste of money. Military discipline works because those who have signed up,wish to be subject to it.

I'm not so sure, I've friends in Germany  who think the National Service was a good thing.One reckons the year in the army gave him time to make better decisions about career and uni. Another felt his year assisting at a kindergarten brought him out of his shell and helped him grow up a bit more. These guys are lefty, anti-establishment types (I've posted about St Pauli on here before), but they grudgingly say it's worthwhile.

Of course it's not an unthinking 'put them all in the military and knock some discipline into them' scheme. That would just breed resentment IMO.

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43649 on: October 30, 2015, 10:35:23 AM »

I'm talking about military national service. Youngsters who don't want to be there are in for a miserable time and are a drain on ever decreasing regular resources. They'll end up doing menial work around the stations as they can't be attached to regular units. Imagine the outcry if the Army sent them to war zones. No benefit to the armed forces.
 If it's to benefit the youngster, then put the resources used for NS into training youngsters, they'll be much more receptive to it. Military service isn't for everyone. Punishment for not doing NS, jail? You're just as likely to jail some hard working, well adjusted kid who has no affinity with the military as  the layabout, ne'er do well,petty criminal type.

Cymru am byth
Pages: 1 ... 2906 2907 2908 2909 [2910] 2911 2912 2913 2914 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: