blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 03:05:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272670 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: Aledkanny
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1125 1126 1127 1128 [1129] 1130 1131 1132 1133 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2207263 times)
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #16920 on: March 25, 2019, 01:34:47 PM »

I've noticed a lot of the government advert with a voice over of people asking how Brexit will affect them and their plans, and being pointed towards the government advice.

Couldn't help thinking that advert by itself could have made a more effective 'Remain' campaign for the Referendum than everything they actually did put together.

I was particularly amused by the voice over of "how will it affect my business?" - I'm pretty sure the flower importer worried about No Deal ruining his business might even have paid attention to that if it was run before the referendum.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #16921 on: March 26, 2019, 12:33:53 AM »

This thing is turning into something completely dreadful & John Bercow, what a clown.

I have said this over and over again, but if you want Brexit to happen, or to stay in the EU, then the only way past all of this is go to the people. Yet, brexiteers wont have it and will ultimately faced with no Brexit at all. It is the way foward and if all the legislation isn't passed for it anytime soon, then we will still be be here in 2020.

This April 12th thing is vital, I can't see us going to the 22nd may. You are left with either Revoke v No deal (and May will not vote for No Deal) or ask for a longer extension where the EU have forced the country into an election or second ref. These new votes on Wednesday are a distraction too, I don't see any being able to get a majority and therefore we are in the same position as last week.

Let's just get on with the people's vote and end all of it.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #16922 on: March 26, 2019, 06:46:09 AM »

From the Minister for Business and Industry’s resignation letter:

“...as the UK’s Industry Minister, the clear message I have been receiving from the business community is that the failure to secure a deal and to rule out a hard Brexit is resulting in cancelled investment decisions, business being placed abroad, and a sense of ridicule for British business, across the world.”
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #16923 on: March 26, 2019, 08:18:44 AM »

Business and industry generally look to the medium and long term when talking about confidence and investment. So I would ask how much focus has been placed on the landscape 5yrs beyond Brexit in recent times? The great deals available all around the globe, exciting new markets, less restrictions and new freedoms? Absolutely none. Parliament has failed to unite, bickering backwards and forwards about what is happening right now, pushing personal agendas at the country's expense, flapping about the shortage of tinned peaches and toilet roll.

So it's clear that the Minister for Business and Industry is a prize plum because a) a deal has been secured and b) ruling out a hard Brexit during negotiations would undermine the quality of any deal offered. So instead the Minister just flounces off and probably because he's a Remainer putting his own interests first, just like the rest of this rabble of so called leaders

Brexit cannot be seen as a bad move, not until we look way into the future anyways. What has been a terrible move is a failure to unite behind the decision to leave, triggering Article 50 too quickly and without a firm plan, division over the secured deal offered and obsessive knickers in a twist mentality over short term fallout. That is what's affected confidence. We have seen a lot of blame mentality regarding the stupid people who voted Leave but they seem to be a fcking shining beacon of wisdom compared to the hapless loons in parliament who have let them down so badly.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16924 on: March 26, 2019, 09:46:42 AM »

Aaron. Don't worry. Eventually there will be another vote and we'll stay put. Along the way there's been so much huff and puff that I actually thought we would leave. We won't

sola virtus nobilitat
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #16925 on: March 26, 2019, 12:31:08 PM »

Business and industry generally look to the medium and long term when talking about confidence and investment. So I would ask how much focus has been placed on the landscape 5yrs beyond Brexit in recent times? The great deals available all around the globe, exciting new markets, less restrictions and new freedoms? Absolutely none. Parliament has failed to unite, bickering backwards and forwards about what is happening right now, pushing personal agendas at the country's expense, flapping about the shortage of tinned peaches and toilet roll.

So it's clear that the Minister for Business and Industry is a prize plum because a) a deal has been secured and b) ruling out a hard Brexit during negotiations would undermine the quality of any deal offered. So instead the Minister just flounces off and probably because he's a Remainer putting his own interests first, just like the rest of this rabble of so called leaders

Brexit cannot be seen as a bad move, not until we look way into the future anyways. What has been a terrible move is a failure to unite behind the decision to leave, triggering Article 50 too quickly and without a firm plan, division over the secured deal offered and obsessive knickers in a twist mentality over short term fallout. That is what's affected confidence. We have seen a lot of blame mentality regarding the stupid people who voted Leave but they seem to be a fcking shining beacon of wisdom compared to the hapless loons in parliament who have let them down so badly.

Thanks for a serious reply. There is a lot wrong in those three paragraphs in my opinion, but I’m not about to go through line by line listing all the items I think are incorrect. I would mention, though, that I’m pretty sure there has been work done looking at the future beyond five years, which concluded that it would take at least several decades to recover from Brexit, if we ever did.
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16926 on: March 26, 2019, 05:36:58 PM »

This thing is turning into something completely dreadful & John Bercow, what a clown.

Bercow has been fantastic in dealing with this so far, particularly in recent weeks.  Why do you think he's a clown?

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16927 on: March 26, 2019, 05:44:41 PM »

Bercow has been fantastic in dealing with this so far, particularly in recent weeks.  Why do you think he's a clown?

I don't know why Aaron goes looking for things that upset him.

Poor Aaron.

The older I get, the better I was.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16928 on: March 26, 2019, 05:52:09 PM »

On the indicative votes; not sure I get that it is even a consideration that these are whipped. Whipping and party lines is a big part of why we're where we are now shirley

sola virtus nobilitat
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16929 on: March 26, 2019, 05:53:17 PM »

I have said this over and over again, but if you want Brexit to happen, or to stay in the EU, then the only way past all of this is go to the people. Yet, brexiteers wont have it and will ultimately faced with no Brexit at all. It is the way foward and if all the legislation isn't passed for it anytime soon, then we will still be be here in 2020.

This April 12th thing is vital, I can't see us going to the 22nd may. You are left with either Revoke v No deal (and May will not vote for No Deal) or ask for a longer extension where the EU have forced the country into an election or second ref. These new votes on Wednesday are a distraction too, I don't see any being able to get a majority and therefore we are in the same position as last week.

Let's just get on with the people's vote and end all of it.

Slightly puzzled by this.  You want a people's vote (as do I, FWIW) but your post seems to imply that it's feasible without a longer extension being agreed first, which isn't the case.  To legislate for it, we need to get the long extension (or Revoke A50) and to participate in the Euro Elections prior to it happening.  April 12th is our deadline to ask for this.  May 22nd becomes a dead duck date by the end of this week unless we've passed May's deal by then, which seems unlikely to even be voted on at the moment.

I'm also puzzled by the comment regarding May not voting for No Deal, but she doesn't need to vote for it.  We do need to take some positive action prior to April 12th to stop it happening as the legal default on that date, which they kind of committed to doing last night in the discussion around Beckett's amendment, but would have been mandated to do so had that vote also passed.

The biggest unanswered issue with the People's Vote is that there's no clear idea as to what should be asked on it at the moment.  The most likely option as it stands would be May's deal vs Remain, but I doubt this satisfies the Brexiters if we reach that stage.  The question is, assuming that a 2nd ref does happen, what version of Brexit do they want to be the option on the ballot?

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #16930 on: March 26, 2019, 06:12:00 PM »

F***ing peoples vote!!!! Yes Tikay, they're exclamation marks. I believe they're warranted based on how loud I'm screaming these words in my head.

It really winds me up. It's a second vote because loads of people aren't happy with the outcome of the first one.

Why do you have to gloss it up by making it sound like it's something different to the first vote? Was the first one a toadstools vote or something?

The toadstools got it wrong, let's ask the people now instead.

Utter bo****ks!!! (More entirely warranted exclamation marks).

PS: This isn't aimed directly at Sheriff, he's just the latest person to mention it. It's mainly aimed at that smug c**t Linekar who was the first person I heard say it.

And breathe.......

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #16931 on: March 26, 2019, 06:18:25 PM »

F***ing peoples vote!!!! Yes Tikay, they're exclamation marks. I believe they're warranted based on how loud I'm screaming these words in my head.

It really winds me up. It's a second vote because loads of people aren't happy with the outcome of the first one.

Why do you have to gloss it up by making it sound like it's something different to the first vote? Was the first one a toadstools vote or something?

PS: This isn't aimed directly at Sheriff, he's just the latest person to mention it. It's mainly aimed at that smug c**t Linekar who was the first person I heard say it.

And breathe.......

Cheesy

#peoplesvote

Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16932 on: March 26, 2019, 06:23:47 PM »

And breathe.......

In fairness, I generally prefer 2nd Ref as the description, but was replying to Aaron's post referring to it as the PV.

I'm an exception to the general rule on this though, as "People's Vote" is as much a part of the narrative now as "Brexit", which I also hate.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16933 on: March 26, 2019, 06:31:00 PM »

And breathe.......

I think they were more like mushrooms than toadstools- Kept in the dark, fed on shit.

The older I get, the better I was.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #16934 on: March 26, 2019, 06:37:25 PM »

Just been watching Ian Blackford - think I want an extension so the Scots can have a referendum vote where they only need something like 37% of the electorate to vote for independence for it to happen

sola virtus nobilitat
Pages: 1 ... 1125 1126 1127 1128 [1129] 1130 1131 1132 1133 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: