blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 12:15:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272679 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16724 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Internet Service Provider - Hyperoptic?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Internet Service Provider - Hyperoptic?  (Read 5746 times)
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2015, 04:10:24 PM »

Anyone know about this? The obligatory £16/month phone cost is putting me off. Is 100mb plenty and 1gb excessive, or worth the money?

https://hyperoptic.com

Click to see full-size image.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 04:16:36 PM »

phone cost scam comes with all providers you generally cant get out of having the line put in.

I cant imagine you'd ever use 100mb download speed.

This is a bit of an AJo in the CO question, none of the pertinent info is here.
Larry David

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 04:17:47 PM »

1Gb isn't a lot if you are streaming films etc, I once had 10gb with BT and then sent a bill saying I had exceeded the limit by 40gb.  If you are using it for streaming,youtube etc I would advise unlimited deal as you will pay more going over the limit.

Perhaps someone else can give you a few ideas.

Lay Low Back High
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 04:20:16 PM »

1Gb isn't a lot if you are streaming films etc, I once had 10gb with BT and then sent a bill saying I had exceeded the limit by 40gb.  If you are using it for streaming,youtube etc I would advise unlimited deal as you will pay more going over the limit.

it's quoting speeds not limits if i'm not being a bellend.
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 04:20:25 PM »

I assume its the download speed rather than download limits

Larry David

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 04:23:12 PM »

Just spotted him asking about 1gb, who knows Wink

Lay Low Back High
Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 04:24:43 PM »

1Gb Fibre Optic is unnecessary IMO. Unless you were doing massive amounts of uploading/downloading files for projects, then there's no real need to have the 1GB option.

100MBps is going to be fast enough for average daily use that you probably wouldn't notice the difference between that and the 1GBps option unless you were downloading large torrents (50GB+) and watching the download speed on it.

Also I see that the graphic under the 1GB option shows '4K' - 4K is yet to take off because the technology is fairly expensive (Big 4k TVs can go into the thousands), and the infrastructure for it to become common to stream 4K video just isn't there on a large scale.

If you wanted to be ahead of the curve and use what small providers deliver 4k video streams, then the 1GB would be the correct option. But if you're just going to download films, use it for HD netflix and general internet use - the 100MB option is your best bet.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 04:28:00 PM by Ransom » Logged
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 04:26:54 PM »

1Gb Fibre Optic is unnecessary IMO. Unless you were doing massive amounts of uploading/downloading files for projects, then there's no real need to have the 1GB option.

100MBps is going to be fast enough for average daily use that you probably wouldn't notice the difference between that and the 1GBps option unless you were downloading large torrents (50GB+) and watching the download speed on it.

I cant think of many companies that can ever even offer you speeds that would make use of 100mb/ps.

also would be interested in how 'contention ratios' work for fibre, I haven't read up on it.

edit also this company have pretty limited availability for now.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 04:28:44 PM by titaniumbean » Logged
Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 04:31:52 PM »

I cant think of many companies that can ever even offer you speeds that would make use of 100mb/ps.

also would be interested in how 'contention ratios' work for fibre, I haven't read up on it.

I'm on 50Mbps right now and I get the below pretty much 24/7.

You're rarely going to get the advertised speed and it will be 'up to 50/100/1GB' etc, but my 50mb connection is fine and I've never thought that I needed it to go any faster.

titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 04:35:08 PM »

You're rarely going to get the advertised speed and it will be 'up to 50/100/1GB' etc, but my 50mb connection is fine and I've never thought that I needed it to go any faster.

wait so advert says you can download at 100mb, reality says you never get above 40mb and we all just accept this shit because most people have no clue?
marv

they just shouldn't be allowed to do this shit. non computer users haven't got a sausage of a clue about this sort of stuff.

fibre being a more capable network and having a higher capacity should mean these are a thing of the past but if we continue to roll our eyes and just accept it they may bum us on this infrastructure too.
Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 04:45:11 PM »

wait so advert says you can download at 100mb, reality says you never get above 40mb and we all just accept this shit because most people have no clue?
marv

With Fibre, the speeds should be way more consistent than the older copper lines (that like 80% of the country will still be stuck with 5 years from now) - but companies who provide fibre are quite keen on throttling everyone's speeds at 'peak times'. So while you might get your advertised 100mb speed at 4:30am, during the day you could be getting half of that. With the copper lines that run through the phone socket, you can get a package that's up to 20mb, but if you live 500metres away from the nearest line exchange box, you might get 4mbps, perhaps lower if the line hasn't been maintained and is in poor condition filling your connection with 'noise'.

All in the terms and conditions. I'm with Virgin Media and they can be bastards for deciding that England is going to run out of internet and they need to slow everyone right down for a couple of hours.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 04:59:41 PM »

yes I know hence i'm saying it's bullshit lol
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 09:38:19 PM »

It's better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I'm on 150mb with Virgin and I pretty much get that all the time even at peak times. They do have a policy of throttling you back if you cane the downloads at peak time but if you stop you're back up to speed within the hour.

Ah! The element of surprise
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 09:41:49 PM »

phone cost scam comes with all providers you generally cant get out of having the line put in.

Not true mate, I have Virgin and no phone.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 09:51:24 PM »

Not true mate, I have Virgin and no phone.

did you suck someone off?

The virgin guy was installing our internet, and wired in the phone line and then says where do you want it, i'm like leaving it hanging out the wall there that's good, I don't need to plug anything into it..... he was like you wat m8.  there was no way at the time at least to get a non phone line contract. BT do it aswell because they say that by paying for landline your paying towards the upkeep of their infrastructure which their internet services use. v annoying.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: