blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 12:23:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272670 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: Aledkanny
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2385 2386 2387 2388 [2389] 2390 2391 2392 2393 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6348290 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35820 on: October 20, 2013, 10:04:12 AM »

Went to a Morrison's for the first time today to do a big shop. Found all the trollies were chained up and you had to deposit a £1 coin. Anyway I only had notes so wtf happens now? Went inside and asked the security guard who told me he worked for a security company and not Morrison's. So went to Customer Services but nobody was there. After waiting around I decided to go and get a packet of crisps and pay at the self-service. Queued for about 10 minutes. Glad I did as well because nobody appeared at customer services.

Got 2x £2 coins in my change.

Went to Sainsbury's.

Your own fault, completely.

Sainsbury's caters for folks with folding money, Morrison's has it's roots way up north where they are too poor to walk around with fivers.

In my working days, I did a lot of supermarket work for most of the majors, Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda, Aldi, Lidl etc. By FAR the most difficult to work for were Morrison's. Ken Morrison, a descendant of William, who founded the Company, was a proper difficulty bugger.

Ken would ring up on a Sunday afternon, "meet me at the Ilkley store at 7pm tonight" & you HAD to be there. You'd turn up, Ken would berate you for leaving a tiny scratch somewhere in the Store when refurbing the place weeks earlier,  then he'd bugger off. He had terrible manners - well no manners really - & never bothered with the niceties like "hello" or goodbye".

e-Mails from him would be similar, just one liners with no top or tail.

I want the Shipley job finished by Tuesday , understand?

In fact, I was frightened of him, & did not like him much, but I did - still do - admire him very much, the family have done a wonderful job with the Business. He must be over 80 now, but still holds a title at the Business.

The City press butchered him a treat when Morrison took over Safeway, as it went a bit tits up at first, but although he sorted it, he forever after held a grudge with City journalists & analysts. I was at a store opening one day (serving tea to waiting customers @ 8am on the opening day, would you believe?) & he saw a City Analyst in the store, & promptly told the bloke to "fu** right off back south where you belong".

God bless Ken Morrison. I so wish MANTIS had complained to Ken. MANTIS meets his match.....

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
MPOWER

View Profile
« Reply #35821 on: October 20, 2013, 10:15:26 AM »

Hi Tikay

I met Ken Morrison a number of times I thought he was ok.

However did you meet his side kick George Buttle? He was propper Northern Shite

I worked for Morrisons for around 6 years. They sacked me but I took them to court and won!

Regards

M
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35822 on: October 20, 2013, 10:27:41 AM »

Hi Tikay

I worked for Morrisons for around 6 years. They sacked me but I took them to court and won!

Regards

M

Ha! Yes, George was a right so & so.

You were not alone in being sacked, they sacked folks on a whim, regularly. Real Victorian idealogy.

The driver side rear-view mirror on my car got busted by some oaf yesterday, the glass bit fell out. What'll that cost to replace? £5? £7.50?

You coming to the Grand Final next weekend? Be good to see you. You still on the diet thing?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
MPOWER

View Profile
« Reply #35823 on: October 20, 2013, 10:33:34 AM »

Hi Tikay

Regards

M

Ha! Yes, George was a right so & so.

You were not alone in being sacked, they sacked folks on a whim, regularly. Real Victorian idealogy.

The driver side rear-view mirror on my car got busted by some oaf yesterday, the glass bit fell out. What'll that cost to replace? £5? £7.50?

You coming to the Grand Final next weekend? Be good to see you. You still on the diet thing?

The wing mirror I guess. I will call you tomorrow. Can't be that much maybe £40ish

I may do poker next week. As for the diet @ 15st. Cant seem to crack below that.

Regards

M   
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35824 on: October 20, 2013, 10:43:01 AM »

£40?

What? It's a little bit of glass, about 4" square! The glass is not even broken, it just fell out, but hung on by the wires & things underneath it. 

Be £5 tops if I had a Merc.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35825 on: October 20, 2013, 10:48:17 AM »

Think you'll enjoy this. Deserted island in hand middle of NYC

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/J7sv8

Thats extraordinary, Ryan. You'd thonk it would be over-run with folks, even squatters.

I guess it has no utilities, 'leccy, drainage, etc.

One day it'll be worth millions.

Perhaps Branson should buy it, I doubt he craps, & if he does it don't stink. Queen-like, see? The Queen does not poo, you know. Royalty don't.

How did Luton GUKPT go? 

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35826 on: October 20, 2013, 10:53:30 AM »

Hi Tikay,

hope all is well with you.

I happened upon something the other day that I thought might be of interest.  I live very close to RAF Northolt, and quite often see plane spotters and the like hanging around.  One evening this week as Hannah and I were walking past there seemed to be a lot more activity than usual with several people taking pictures with long lenses through the fencing near the runway and, further down near the entrance, a fair sized crowd of people gathered round and a long queue of cars waiting to get in.  Hannah wanted to hang around as her train of thought somehow led her to conclude that Lady Gaga or someone of her ilk must be due to land there Cheesy

A bit of research after I got home told me that they were holding a 'night shoot' - an opportunity for people to come in and take pictures of nice (I guess) planes after dark.  I could just see you there among all the other anoraks enthusiasts

http://www.touchdown-aviation.com/reports/2013/raf-northolt-night-photoshoot-xiv.php

Claire!

Good to se you.

Would you believe I go to Northolt Airport & do the geeky photo sessions? Extremist stuff, that.

How is Hannah? Reached the bra & boys age yet? Jeez, you have some stress ahead!

Was playing Online on Friday night & Holdy Foldy was on my table, wonderful banter. I miss her very much, we keep arranging to hook up for coffee, but I never quite get round to it. Same with you, really. Stop standing me up, right?

You won that SPT Grand Final seat yet?  Soft tourney, full of satellite qualifiers., Satellite qualifiers are all fish of course, & everyone on Sky Poker is a fish apparently, soft site see? Do it now, ok?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35827 on: October 20, 2013, 11:03:06 AM »

Forget Moorman, i scored my own triple crown last night.

Had dinner with Jeff Buff

Sat next to James Browning in the comp

Played DC with Paul Parker.

Ooh, now that is a result.

How is Jeff. Not seen him for ages. He had a bad time when his father-in-law died. He is such a sweet & gentle man.

James Browning.....he has a home game down Swindon these days I gather, quite a swish set-up. I sort of respect him in a strange way, never worked in his life, just ducks & dives & gets by, fair play to him. Used to work in a circus, ffs!

When we are together - & we worked together on a lot of TV stuff back in the PNL days - we used to spark off a lot, a sort of chemical reaction. He is SO passionate about everything, but only has a transmit button, not a receive button. And he does this thing, I doubt it bothers a soul on earth except me, but he "invades my space", physically. When we chat, he puts his face right up close to my face, like 2" away, & I keep backing off, & he keeps following me, lol. Don't know why, but it makes me feel mentally uncomfy. We had a bit of a barney about it on the Ladbrokes cruise in 2005, & we were better after that. I do like & admire him, just find our personalities clash a bit I suppose. Lynn is lovely, perfectly lovely, of course, strikes me as proper posh & refined. Doubt she even poo's.

Any luck with sorting your Visa?

77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35828 on: October 20, 2013, 11:46:31 AM »

How is Jeff. Not seen him for ages. He had a bad time when his father-in-law died. He is such a sweet & gentle man.

James Browning.....he has a home game down Swindon these days I gather, quite a swish set-up. I sort of respect him in a strange way, never worked in his life, just ducks & dives & gets by, fair play to him. Used to work in a circus, ffs!

When we are together - & we worked together on a lot of TV stuff back in the PNL days - we used to spark off a lot, a sort of chemical reaction. He is SO passionate about everything, but only has a transmit button, not a receive button. And he does this thing, I doubt it bothers a soul on earth except me, but he "invades my space", physically. When we chat, he puts his face right up close to my face, like 2" away, & I keep backing off, & he keeps following me, lol. Don't know why, but it makes me feel mentally uncomfy. We had a bit of a barney about it on the Ladbrokes cruise in 2005, & we were better after that. I do like & admire him, just find our personalities clash a bit I suppose. Lynn is lovely, perfectly lovely, of course, strikes me as proper posh & refined. Doubt she even poo's.

All quiet on the visa front, it will come through one day, until it does we will just have to make do.
My sister in law phones up every other friday to be told it hasnt been issued yet. I got a message from her last week telling me wouldnt be phoning this week as Obama has shut the government down cos he cant sort himself out. She isnt a fan.

Shame you missed the GUKPT been a good week, Vinny made 3 FTs, he even bought me lunch.

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35829 on: October 20, 2013, 11:55:55 AM »

All quiet on the visa front, it will come through one day, until it does we will just have to make do.
My sister in law phones up every other friday to be told it hasnt been issued yet. I got a message from her last week telling me wouldnt be phoning this week as Obama has shut the government down cos he cant sort himself out. She isnt a fan.

Shame you missed the GUKPT been a good week, Vinny made 3 FTs, he even bought me lunch.

Proof indeed of soft tourneys, I'm guessing.

77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35830 on: October 20, 2013, 12:15:03 PM »

even hinge is making a rare trip to see us today, whats your excuse.

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #35831 on: October 20, 2013, 12:24:28 PM »

even hinge is making a rare trip to see us today, whats your excuse.

I sense that could well be the deal-clincher.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #35832 on: October 20, 2013, 08:15:46 PM »

I was surfing a bit on Britain from above and came across this photo of Glasgow in its industrial heyday - the ships are queuing up to take stuff in and bring it out.

So I got the present from google - as far as I can see, there are only two structures remaining - can you spot them?

Click to see full-size image.

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #35833 on: October 20, 2013, 09:19:37 PM »

Hi Tikay,

hope all is well with you.

I happened upon something the other day that I thought might be of interest.  I live very close to RAF Northolt, and quite often see plane spotters and the like hanging around.  One evening this week as Hannah and I were walking past there seemed to be a lot more activity than usual with several people taking pictures with long lenses through the fencing near the runway and, further down near the entrance, a fair sized crowd of people gathered round and a long queue of cars waiting to get in.  Hannah wanted to hang around as her train of thought somehow led her to conclude that Lady Gaga or someone of her ilk must be due to land there Cheesy

A bit of research after I got home told me that they were holding a 'night shoot' - an opportunity for people to come in and take pictures of nice (I guess) planes after dark.  I could just see you there among all the other anoraks enthusiasts

http://www.touchdown-aviation.com/reports/2013/raf-northolt-night-photoshoot-xiv.php

Claire!

Good to se you.

Would you believe I go to Northolt Airport & do the geeky photo sessions? Extremist stuff, that.

How is Hannah? Reached the bra & boys age yet? Jeez, you have some stress ahead!

Was playing Online on Friday night & Holdy Foldy was on my table, wonderful banter. I miss her very much, we keep arranging to hook up for coffee, but I never quite get round to it. Same with you, really. Stop standing me up, right?

You won that SPT Grand Final seat yet?  Soft tourney, full of satellite qualifiers., Satellite qualifiers are all fish of course, & everyone on Sky Poker is a fish apparently, soft site see? Do it now, ok?

Well if you're ever up Northolt way again then give me a buzz - you'd be more than welcome to drop by.

Yes, Michelle is a wonderful soul and a true friend for life. I owe so much to blonde really - my best mate, my fiance and my job - all have come into my life thanks for this forum.  Quite strange to think of things in that way really.

No SPT for me - I did toy with the idea briefly, but I have a meeting scheduled next Sunday to discuss something quite important to me on a personal level, which may lead to other things. 

Coffee soon please - you know where to find me - just let me know when you're free.  I'm due to hook up with holdy again fairly soon, so perhaps the three of us could meet one evening? Would be lovely to see you x

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35834 on: October 20, 2013, 10:52:18 PM »

I was surfing a bit on Britain from above and came across this photo of Glasgow in its industrial heyday - the ships are queuing up to take stuff in and bring it out.

So I got the present from google - as far as I can see, there are only two structures remaining - can you spot them?

Click to see full-size image.

Good grief, what a wonderful photograph, showing how much life has changed.

Any idea of when the earlier photo was taken?

There seems to be 20 to 25 ships tied up, including, I think, one Cruise Liner, (mid-far left) probably plying the New York route.

The others would all be cargo vessels, unloaded & re-loaded by hand of course, by traditional dockers such as used to be employed in their thousands at ports like Glasgow, Liverpool & London. I doubt a single traditional dockers job exists in any of those three now.

Bottom left appears to be tenement buildings built around courtyards. In London, many of these were called "Peabody Buildings", & were built & maintained by the Peabody Trust. They were very basic, one living room/kitchen, one or two bedrooms, with a shared toilet/bathroom on the landing, which all 4 flats in that "landing" shared. Many of them still exist in London, I know there are some in Hammersmith, & others in South East London. I visited some poker players for a TV thing recently, in Southgate, & they lived in Peabody Buildings, quite content & happy, too.

We held an SPT in Glasgow, at Alea I think, which appears to be right central to both photos, sort of opposite Lancefield Quay. We stayed in an ETAP (?) or IBIS hotel right opposite, I'd rather have stayed in a Peabody building, no mistake. Precast concrete construction, not an ounce of soul or character. The Peabody Buildings were all built in beautiful Southwater Red bricks, as good today as the day they were baked.

Lovely, lovely, photo.

Is there a website where I can see other photos of the day?

Thank you very much, chuffed to bits with that.

Pages: 1 ... 2385 2386 2387 2388 [2389] 2390 2391 2392 2393 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: