blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 01:25:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272671 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: Aledkanny
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  99 in the BB
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 99 in the BB  (Read 2151 times)
daviebhoy

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2009, 02:23:10 AM »

I have recently moved to Dublin so not been on the forum for a wee while. Played in Fitzwilliam card club tonight which if you get the chance you should come play in as they have an excellent setup. The tournie was £50 buyin with a £10 bounty. The two villians in this hand have been very loose and limping a lot. One has just showed down 25 that made two pair and the other called a raise of mine with 35 making two pair on river but I took it away from him representing a straight on a 3J245 board. He has been very mouthy but went very quiet when I showed him my KQ after he starting mouthing of that I had got lucky when he folded on the river showing his 35.

Anyway, I have about 26,000 chips and blinds have just gone up to 500/1000/100 after a break.

Mouthy 35 man limps UTG and has about 13000 behind.
25 man with huge stack limps after him in EP and it is folded round to me in the BB with 99. What is our play here as I didn't really know what to do. Check and set mine ? If we raise how much and what is our plan as there aren't many flops we are going to like especially against these two guys who could have ATC.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 02:28:22 AM by daviebhoy » Logged
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 02:28:13 PM »

Why would a ridic strong 9-9 man check here vs a mouthy 3-5 man and a com 2-5 man? Only if he doesn't want to play some poker imo. Raise 5k and ask UTG if he's wants to commit to his hand. You will either take it down pre or play a HU pot vs 1 loose/spewy villain. Either outcome beats checking.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 05:52:38 PM »

dont show your hands when you arent called

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Newmanseye

I defy you, stars!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 07:41:44 PM »

Mouthy and loves to limp?

I would jam it in on my BB with any reasonable holding, With 99 I would overraise the shit out of it 7 x the bb, as mouthy fella may just be tilted enough to come along and pay you off.

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Hans Gruber - Die Hard
sick call kenni
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 09:59:23 PM »

personally i would not take the situation with the big mouths personally, what i would do here with 26,000 is check the big blind, you have plenty of time left. anything from 10s above here id pop to about 6K to defend my blind,,, and below are good to see a flop with for free, if you hit your set, you are well disguised and likely to get action and payed off.

If big cards come on the flop you know  you can escape without having already commited extra unnecessary chips to the pot

daviebhoy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 01:13:17 AM »

I never would normally show my cards in that situation. Once the hand was done I mucked my cards face down. The guy was annoying and largeing it up at the table and I knew a barrage of abuse was bound to come for hands to come. I think it might of been a mistake but I was playing very tight against these spewy players and thought I could get paid of later with a good hand and would have the added bonus of shutting the big mouth up if I showed and as the dealer hadnt picked up my cards in response to the abuse I was getting I turned them over.

I think it is interesting that there is very mixed opinions about what to do here. All of the responses so far went through my head but I don't know which one is right still. I would appreciate any further opinions as I think this is a tricky spot and as I said I really didnt know what to do and I'm not sure what I would do in the future. A raise here is bound to be called in probably 2 spots and unless I hit a 9 I'm not going to be happy with my hand. If I raise how do I play the flop OOP and is it worth pushing here hoping to take what is in the pot risking being called for a coin flip when I have a reasonable stack and then there is the possibility I might run into a bigger pair. Is checking here too weak ?
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 01:30:51 PM »

You were playing very tight against these spewy players? Yet the only other hand you describe is an audacious river bluff with K high?? Why have you got balls with absolutely no hand but loose them with a good one? I don't know how you can make that kind of play, then next hand say you're worried a limper will call if you raise with 9-9. This is prob the best hand in the pot right now...and you're worried about the prospect of a loose/tilting oppo calling you with a worse one? You may have a decision to make on the flop....but before we even get there you can raise 5k and ask mouthy UTG if he wants to commit 40% of his stack with com 2-5 man still to act behind. That's a much bigger decision than one you may or may not have to make in the future. Why don't you want to give mouthy man that sort of decision? So you can take a flop and hope to get an easy check-fold decision for yourself instead?

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

daviebhoy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 05:32:56 PM »

Mantis - you're replies are suggesting I open folded this hand pre-flop. I haven't said how I played the hand yet. I couldn't decide whether to check, raise or push as I think there are arguments for all three and they are all replies from other people. It is interesting that no-one is suggesting a standard raise.

MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 05:44:27 PM »

Mantis - you're replies are suggesting I open folded this hand pre-flop. I haven't said how I played the hand yet. I couldn't decide whether to check, raise or push as I think there are arguments for all three and they are all replies from other people. It is interesting that no-one is suggesting a standard raise.

Buddy, what i'm suggesting is any inclination to check and set-mine this hand so you can get away cheaply on the flop is plain weak. You are considering checking and I don't think you should. You were positive with nothing a second ago so you should keep that pressure up when you have something. A standard raise needn't be considered because both villains are loose, so charge them more to call with a worse hand imo.

daviebhoy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 08:48:11 PM »

I think I tend to agree with you Mantis that a decent raise is in order. What do you do when UTG shoves ?
MANTIS01

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 12:15:49 AM »

Another 8k to win 28k vs a loose villain with 9-9. Pretty sure i would call dat.

LOJ

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 01:04:06 PM »

Another 8k to win 28k vs a loose villain with 9-9. Pretty sure i would call dat.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 01:50:33 PM »

I'd be raising to about 5k in this spot.

If either shoves I'm snapping them off with one hand in the air.

If we see a flop I'd need to reassess but most likely leading out small/checking to induce a shove.

We've only got 25bbs which is hardly deep. These spots don't come up often enough against spewey players to be able to turn them down when they do.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 02:59:12 PM »

5k snap a shove, simple.

daviebhoy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 08:21:38 PM »

Thanks everyone. The concensus seems to be that I can't get away from this. UTG had Aces for the 3rd time while I was at the table with him. This was the first time he limped with them and I doubled him up. One of the times he had Aces early on he 4-bet pre and when called said I'm all no matter what cards come on the flop. I really couldn't figure him for such a big hand here and I felt daft doubling him up but I guess folding in this spot would be bad.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: