blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 08:10:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272669 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: Aledkanny
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Pot Limit hand, festival last night
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pot Limit hand, festival last night  (Read 2128 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2006, 02:55:16 PM »

You are on the button, holding 

Blinds are 100-200

You have 9500

UTG limps

Mid position, a well known player who has just arrived at the table and has raised every pot since by 2.25x the BB makes his standard raise to 450. Every time he is called previously he bets the flop regardless and backs down in the face of resistance. He is joking around and clearly creating action for a time when he has a made hand

you call, sb and bb call and utg calls, 2250 in the pot

of course the flop comes

Two Diamonds

SB bets 1000, BB folds, utg flat calls, raiser folds

its up to you

1000 to call, 4250 in the pot

The rest of the hand is unimportant

What I am interested in is how you play this situation in position? SB is Bambos Xanthos. UTG you do not know, but has played very few pots. Bambos has 18000 chips, UTG has 9000

Secondly, whatever you decide to do, what do you do on the turn if you are facing a bet for half your remaining chipstack and no club has come?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
portfolio

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 03:43:03 PM »

call  weakly,praing for the non -pairing club.

get away from a no nut turn.
SupaMonkey

Allin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 03:59:12 PM »

It's an odd play from UTG whatever he is holding, his play makes me think that he has a monster like a set of kings and he is praying that a club doesn't fall.

I would flat call here, It may be possible to bluff one out of the pot with a reraise but i don't think a bluff will get them both out so I would keep them both in and hope I hit a club. I have odds and position after all.

If no club falls on the turn and I was asked for half of my stack then I would let the hand go. This is passive play but I would still have 8000 left to play with.

I wouldn't count the ace falling as a way of making my hand here
the_bish

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 04:02:25 PM »

The call is a no-brainer, so the question is whether or not to raise. SB made a 1/4 pot bet - what the hell is that?!? (can anyone explain why this would be a good bet in SB?)

It's the guy who's called the 1,000 that I'd be worried about, you say he's not played many pots so he should have a decent hand - certainly at least one of them has you beat at the moment. I guess there is value in pushing, you are guaranteed to see 2 cards, but you are almost certainly behind at this point and are going to need some help.

I wouldn't put my tournament life on a draw here though and would call.

edit - I see that you can't push as it's PL, that just strengthens things
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 04:17:41 PM »

SB made a nearly half pot bet, 1000 into 2250

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
the_bish

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 04:36:54 PM »

*must learn to read properly*

fair enough - still call
mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 04:38:03 PM »

Small blind IMO has hit a king. Hes completed with a half decent holding against a raise from a loose player with value in the pot, perhaps even holding two pair at this point, or bottom set. Could possibly be a continuation type bet, representing something on the flop, possibly holding a non-nut flush draw in the hopes of getting a cheap river card. I don't have the evidence for this, as you haven't indicated his betting style.

Flat call pre-flop from UTG is worrying, an overpair to the board is possible. A set is likely. Certainly slow playing bullets or kings from UTG in a pot limit game is the way I would go. Not so sure about two spades or . He hasn't played a lot of hands, either thats cos hes ultra tight or because he hasnt had the cards. I'd limp with the 2's, probably raise with a pair of 8's. The flat call on the flop is strange. If I held anything here, I'd want to scare away the flush draw..

I'd call here. I have odds to call and I don't think the re-raise is going to achieve much. Get out of the way in the case of no club coming, unless they check it to me which isn't likely. I really have no idea where I am if an ace falls! Which is worrying...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 04:39:43 PM by mikkyT » Logged
WellChief

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 06:36:14 PM »

Small blind IMO has hit a king. Hes completed with a half decent holding against a raise from a loose player with value in the pot, perhaps even holding two pair at this point, or bottom set. Could possibly be a continuation type bet, representing something on the flop, possibly holding a non-nut flush draw in the hopes of getting a cheap river card. I don't have the evidence for this, as you haven't indicated his betting style.

So what your're saying is he has ATC.  You could be right.

It's not wise to play this aggressively, a call and then let go on a non-club turn is the way to go.
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 07:35:10 PM »

If UTG is just flat calling you have to put him on a set here.

jezza777

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 01:18:51 AM »

Calling is the minimum you are going to do here , the question is will a raise buy you a free shot at the river, also it will disguise your hand and you may recieve action even if you hit your flush . If you just call then if a club falls you are less likley to get any more out of them.
NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 01:29:20 AM »

Calling is the minimum you are going to do here , the question is will a raise buy you a free shot at the river, also it will disguise your hand and you may recieve action even if you hit your flush . If you just call then if a club falls you are less likley to get any more out of them.

But the UTG call shows real strength if he's flatcalling with two players still to act. I wouldn't raise here. I'd even be careful if the turn came  Two Clubs because that could be a costly card.

jezza777

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 01:40:26 AM »

So UTG flat calls with top set on a flushing board with 3 players in the hand and 2 players to act knowing he is giving them odds to hit the flush? I am not so sure.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: