blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 11:10:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272844 Posts in 66758 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Laxie Goes Primetime
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laxie Goes Primetime  (Read 145479 times)
Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: January 18, 2012, 05:19:25 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear this Dawn - it's incredibly upsetting and she wasn't even my dog. I hope Cassie adjusts ok and huggs to you xxx
technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #841 on: January 18, 2012, 06:57:21 AM »

I've cried some tears over family dogs as a youngster. The only thing that stopped me getting one is the heartbreak when they go.

RIP Lily.

It's better to be looking at it than looking for it.
The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 18, 2012, 09:36:29 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear this Dawn - it's incredibly upsetting and she wasn't even my dog. I hope Cassie adjusts ok and huggs to you xxx

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #843 on: January 18, 2012, 09:43:28 AM »

Strangely, I was going to ask you how Lily was doing yesterday, bur what with you recent bereavements I decided against it.

You gave her a good life, she lived it long and happy.

Rejoice in her memory.

The older I get, the better I was.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 18, 2012, 10:02:22 AM »

I knew everyone would be wondering about the dogs, but I was holding back from posting because I wasn't sure what was being done with Lily. 

Cassie is in great form.  Well she was anyway.  Will let you know later today if she seems any bit out of sorts missing Lily.  We're going for a 5 mile walk in a few.  Taking the camera too.   Smiley

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 18, 2012, 10:39:08 AM »

So sorry to hear about Lily - it's hard losing a family member.

You could get a pleasant surprise with Cassie. We had 2 dalmatians & the old one was the leader, the younger one just acted daft and mucked about. When Sal (the old one) died, Jade seemed to realise 'that's me the senior dog' and grew up, became more assertive and a good watchdog where she'd left that to Sal before. I suppose that's how it happens in a  pack, the Alpha is dead, long live the Alpha.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 18, 2012, 10:45:10 AM »

So sorry to hear about Lily - it's hard losing a family member.

You could get a pleasant surprise with Cassie. We had 2 dalmatians & the old one was the leader, the younger one just acted daft and mucked about. When Sal (the old one) died, Jade seemed to realise 'that's me the senior dog' and grew up, became more assertive and a good watchdog where she'd left that to Sal before. I suppose that's how it happens in a  pack, the Alpha is dead, long live the Alpha.

Really?  That's good news.  You described Cassie to a tee too.  Goofy slacker that just likes to play.  lol

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 19, 2012, 09:53:35 PM »

Last night I had to say goodbye to the kids again for another while.  Ugh. 

It was great to be able to just cook dinner for them and hang out chatting about whatever.  The little day to day things most people take for granted, are a special treat for us now.  We'd lots of cuddles and cleared the air on a few issues while I was there too.  It was a roller coaster of a visit for a lot of reasons, but I'm glad I made the trip.  I'm so proud of Brian, Sinéad and Sarah.  This was never going to be easy, but they've handled it like troopers.  They really are good kids and I love them dearly. 

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 19, 2012, 09:59:15 PM »

My friend Mary collected me from Knocknagree and I'm in Cork City for the next couple of days.  She's been keeping some of my things for me and we've dragged another load of stuff up to hers again this trip.  At the rate I'm going, we'll be old and grey before I get the lot shifted.  I've priced up UPS, FedEx and DHL but if anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears. 

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #849 on: January 19, 2012, 10:02:27 PM »

My friend Mary collected me from Knocknagree and I'm in Cork City for the next couple of days.  She's been keeping some of my things for me and we've dragged another load of stuff up to hers again this trip.  At the rate I'm going, we'll be old and grey before I get the lot shifted.  I've priced up UPS, FedEx and DHL but if anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears.  

Take a car/van next trip and collect it?

technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #850 on: January 19, 2012, 10:06:36 PM »

Yes, we've spoken about taking the car before and I think we'd forgotten that option. It'd be a nice weekend away for the summer.

It's better to be looking at it than looking for it.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: January 19, 2012, 10:17:31 PM »

Last time we priced it, the ferry came in at around £350 round trip.  I was talking to someone this week who was sure we could get it for better than that and thought we must have been looking at the wrong time.  Will keep an eye open and see if we can come up with a deal between now and summer.  I've a cousin coming over from America in July to do with work and he wants to meet up with the kids and I.  He also wants to meet Jack, so this could work out perfect if we get it right.

Thanks for the reminder Tom!

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #852 on: January 19, 2012, 10:23:30 PM »

Last time we priced it, the ferry came in at around £350 round trip.  I was talking to someone this week who was sure we could get it for better than that and thought we must have been looking at the wrong time.  Will keep an eye open and see if we can come up with a deal between now and summer.  I've a cousin coming over from America in July to do with work and he wants to meet up with the kids and I.  He also wants to meet Jack, so this could work out perfect if we get it right.

Thanks for the reminder Tom!

Was that for a van or a car? There's a surcharge for vans.

Also, shop around, the prices vary wildly depending on route or time of day.

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: January 19, 2012, 10:44:12 PM »

Today was meant to be a day of waiting on a repair man Mary had booked.  But she got a call to say they wouldn't be able to make it (nothing new there) which meant we were free from around noon on.  What to do?  Well, this happened on Sunday and it kind of made up our minds...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0115/breaking5.html

They're still searching today....

Click to see full-size image.

The boat sank on Sunday and they were still searching for the missing five.  With a search, comes lots of rescue workers.  And most of them are volunteers.  Along with all that lot, you've the volunteers who dish out hot food, soup and sarnies to the workers from a tent on site.  Well, that stuff costs money.  We hadn't a lot to give, but decided to make a trip to donate a bit towards the cost.

By the time we arrived, they'd found two of the men and by the time we were leaving, the divers had to call it off for the rest of today.  

Ships are lost at sea all the time.  It's a tragedy for the families no matter what the case.  This one has been that bit harder to handle because they'd been away fishing for three days safe and sound...and they were nearly home again.  
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:04:10 PM by Laxie » Logged

Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: January 19, 2012, 11:01:24 PM »

One thing I've found since it all the hit fan.  Mention Ireland and I get a knot in my stomach.  When I plan a trip over, I can't sleep for a week beforehand.  It all hurts too much to think about and I'm pretty good at blocking things out, but it can't be blocked when you're about to face it head on.  Locals just about tolerate me when I arrive, but you know what they're thinking behind the 'smile'.  Tim understandably would probably rather I didn't turn up, but he deals with it.  Only for my kids, I would happily never stepped foot in Ireland again.  That was until today.

It wasn't until we were driving to Glandore Harbour that I finally saw the Ireland I loved again.  An odd peaceful feeling hit my belly.  Sure some horrible things have gone down, but it's not a horrible place as a whole just because of that.  It's been a long road, but I think I'm finally there.  The knot is gone and I feel like, whatever happens, I'll be knot free next time I return.

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 ... 74 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: