blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 06:35:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272657 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  The dollar...?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The dollar...?  (Read 17609 times)
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2007, 09:39:42 PM »

After seeing a documentary about Nostradamus, I thought I'd look to see if he could provide any clues about when to buy dosh for Vegas.  He didn't help but he did say this:

"In the Danube and of the Rhine will come to drink
The great Camel, not repenting it:
Those of the Rhône to tremble, and much more so those of the Loire,
and near the Alps the Cock will ruin him"

What can it mean?
Wardonkey
No ordinary donkey!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2007, 09:54:31 PM »

Sounds like Keith is going to clean up on the EPT...

EEEEEEEEEE-AAAAAAAAWWWWW
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2007, 09:56:35 PM »

Sounds like Keith is going to clean up on the EPT...

I think he should keep away from the Babylon club tho.....
MadYank
Rezident Farang (Yank Flavour)

Sawat Di Khrap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2007, 10:30:03 PM »

AndrewT, Boldie, and Rod Paradise,

Is there any thread that you WON"T Hijack with your blatantly blindered ANTI-AMERICAN stupidity?

Submit outlandish schemes and unsupported argument with NO logical train to follow and then give a good group , "ahem! yes yes", then continue supporting it with bare-arsed inapplicible stretched analogies.

Really, why don't you just wander around in your I HATE THE USA T-shirts and end it at that rather than continually make up and/or republish daft anti-American  BS?

NoflopsHomer
Malcontent

Enchantment? Enchantment!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2007, 10:41:18 PM »

Is there any thread that you WON"T Hijack with your blatantly blindered ANTI-AMERICAN stupidity?

Submit outlandish schemes and unsupported argument with NO logical train to follow and then give a good group , "ahem! yes yes", then continue supporting it with bare-arsed inapplicible stretched analogies.

Really, why don't you just wander around in your I HATE THE USA T-shirts and end it at that rather than continually make up and/or republish daft anti-American  BS?

So we are either for you or against you?

Wink

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2007, 10:42:19 PM »

Ron, whilst I may think that the reasons for the recent foreign policy actions that the US government has taken are not the same as those they have stated, I don't disagree with what they've done. Their first priority is to act to safeguard the day-to-day lives of their citizens. Securing the access to oil and maintaining domestic economic stability fall under this responsibility.

I just wish they'd (and the Blair government) had told us the truth about what they were doing from the start, instead of making up all this WMD rubbish.
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2007, 11:47:40 PM »

I'm not anti-american, I know too many that I like. I am anti-republican & unashamedly so.

I'm happy for you to tell us all the truth about the American attempts to destabalise Venezuela though, or about Chavez giving cheap oil to the poor in the USA,  seeing as I've made it up. The stage is yours.....

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
MadYank
Rezident Farang (Yank Flavour)

Sawat Di Khrap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2007, 12:58:38 AM »

I'm not anti-american, I know too many that I like. I am anti-republican & unashamedly so.

I'm happy for you to tell us all the truth about the American attempts to destabalise Venezuela though, or about Chavez giving cheap oil to the poor in the USA,  seeing as I've made it up. The stage is yours.....

I have a better idea.

Howzabout you provide some credible evidence (aside from circular logic) for your claims then I'll respond.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2007, 01:01:50 AM »

Don't know if it helps but am in Boston at the moment and the Dollar is being used widely.. and for more than just oil.

Cheers now

xx

sola virtus nobilitat
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2007, 01:09:55 AM »

I say Kosovo, you say Cosovo, let's call the whole thing off.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2007, 01:11:02 AM »

Don't know if it helps but am in Boston at the moment and the Dollar is being used widely.. and for more than just oil.

Cheers now

xx

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2007, 09:33:45 AM »

Cheers now

xx

and Yank, I'm not anti american at all...in fact..some of the people I don't dislike are American.

Also as far as wars go it being necessary for the economy is a pretty good reason for war IMO..atleast it's honest.

I think it's funny that people still think wars are being fought for "noble purposes" WW1 over the killing of the Archduke Ferdinand. (Really? 10 million people dead because 1 person got shot? Get out of here)
Or that the Americans joined in the fight against the Germans because they were killing the Jews. Of course they didn't.

In the same way the war against Iraq was not about;

A; Saddam having WMD's and "We know where they are".

B; Because Saddam was not a nice guy.

I am fine with all that. I just would have been more OK withit if the government (the Bush administration as well as the Blair one) had just come out with "You know, they are planning to fuck with your livelihood, so we are going to shoot some people to protect that".

I am also fine with you being pissed off by people critisising your government and you immediatly saying "If you don't like the American government you hate Americans". Trust me, there really is a difference between you and your president and vice -president. go shoot someone in the face and I'm sure you'll find out Wink

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
ItsMrAlex2u

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2007, 10:00:39 AM »

I have some market commentary from thr RBS FX Strategist below which may or may not be of interest. It is long and will bore most people senseless. The main point is there is little or no fundemantal economic reason for USD to be at the level it is. A correction is inevitable back to the 1.80 mark at some point.

Their forecast rates are :
March 1.83
Jun 1.84
Sep 1.85
Dec 1.86

They can obviously be completely wrong and have been in the past but it is fair to say that this guy is far more qualified than any of us to predict and comment and GBP/USD !

The first section is actually from some of his November comments but its still basically relevant. The rest is From Dec.

(The Dec one is in PDF so I am going to have to type that one out so excuse typos please)

Nov:
While we still see some downside potential for the USD in the very short run, with the 2004 high in GBP/USD an obvious target, there is still very little news behind current USD weakness, and the comments from the Fed and the MPC both suggest that there is little monetary policy basis for the rise in sterling. The Fed have been highlighting that the risks are weighted on the upside for rates because of the high level of US inflation, but the market is still pricing in 2 ½ 25bp rate cuts by the end of 2007. While the general tone from the MPC has been hawkish, rates have been raised twice in the last two quarters and dissent has been increasing, so the pricing of a 50% chance of another move in February looks more dubious. In the bigger picture, we expect no change in UK rates and a rise in US rates next year, so there should be scope for a decline in GBP/USD if this is even half right and the market moderates its declining US rate view.

GBP/USD is testing the 2004 highs, but the arguments in favour of sterling are far less clear than they were in 2004. Back then, interest rate spreads were more in sterling’s favour than at any time since 1992. Now they are less in sterling’s favour than at any time since 2002, when cable was below 1.60. In real terms, spreads are even less favourable. The main explanations for sterling strength are a combination of central bank diversification, M&A inflow and low volatility fuelled carry trades being put on against European currencies and the yen. While these factors may remain to some extent going forward, they are likely to diminish as time goes on.

Dec: (I am taking extracts from this, if anyone wants the whole doc, PM me and I will email it to you)
While GBP strength can be explained in terms of flows, the high level of GBP/USD is harder to justify when the fundamentals are closely examined.

In reality the UK and US economies remain similar in structure. Many of the reasons advanced for long term USD weakness are also reasons for weakness in GBP. The main difference between the two is the USD's position as the worlds major reserve currency. We dont see this as sufficient reason for a sustained mis-pricing of sterling even though it seems likely to sustain sterling strength for some time longer.

Most of the strength of GBP/USD has actually been about USD weakness and in the absence of dramatic UK news, a general reversal of USD weakness is likely at some point.

From a long run perspective the biggest suprise about the current strength of GBP/USD is the lack of any real interest rate support for the move. The previous epsidoes in the last 20 years when GBP/USD ventured above 1.90 were typically supported by a big move in interest rate spreads between the 2 economies.

There is then a lot more around trade factors etc which will be of no interest I am sure and will take me too long to type !

PM me if you want the 4 pager emailed to you

Best QM ever

FACT !
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2007, 11:17:32 AM »

I have a better idea.

Howzabout you provide some credible evidence (aside from circular logic) for your claims then I'll respond.

Like the 'credible' evidence of WMD?  

Or credible evedence of a President with a MAJORITY (ie not gerrymandered) vote being called a threat to democracy by the US? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4723902.stm

Or that Chavez was properly and democratically elected AGAIN in 2006, with a huge majority? http://www.eueomvenezuela.org/pdf/EUEOM_Venezuela_Presidential_Election_2006_Preliminary_Statement.pdf Can you say the same for good ole Dubya?

Or evidence of one of Bush's backers publicly calling for the same democratically elected president to be assassinated http://edition.cnn.com/2005/US/08/23/robertson.chavez/index.html

Or Chavez supplying oil cheaper to poorer countries, and to poorer areas in the USA? http://www.gasandoil.com/goc/news/ntn54186.htm

15 minutes finds this, from sources like the BBC & CNN, as well as the EEC report on the election.

The floor is yours.....

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2007, 11:34:33 AM »

I feel a craving coming on...oh yeah 

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: