blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 10:38:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272673 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: Aledkanny
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  UKIPT Marbella thread
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: UKIPT Marbella thread  (Read 11202 times)
Amatay

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2014, 02:35:29 AM »

I know Dale better than most having been on two 6 wk trips with him around Europe and Asia. I feel like the decision is somewhat harsh but I can  kind of understand it. Also, Dale probably gets drunk once a year, if that, so I doubt he was pissed.

Also, I am pretty sure he had a fantastic deal with Stars, much better than many of you would believe. He's had the life of riley with Stars. He has done a fair amount to warrant his deal though. He's very popular with the fanboys and does a lot to promote Stars. He has done a lot more than most stars pro's past or present.

Think he's fked now tbh because I am pretty sure he is no longer a profitable player and has lived off his deal for a long time.

GG

There is no better feeling than rocking up in a city for the first time, with nowhere to stay and everything new - so liberating.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2014, 03:02:38 AM »

While it seems harsh to lose his contract, he does look an utter bell end in the video.

Obv easy to say with hindsight but if the deal was that good, should have tempered his celebrating/behaviour, especially at an event put on by your employers
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2014, 05:29:10 AM »

Think it's justified personally. If I was watching the Italy game in Italy in an Italian pub with a bunch of Italians I would not over celebrate the Sturridge goal esp if I was representing my company abroad

G2L in voice of reason mode, as per usual.

If you happen to be in the Stretford End when your team scores a winner against United and you start celebrating, you can expect to get a load of abuse prawn sandwiches abuse thrown at you.

TBH, I've never heard of this guy before. If you're wearing a badge, you're representing that badge when you do anything in public. That's the bottom line. Shame for him, but it sounds like he's a good enough player to come back from it.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2014, 07:03:07 AM »

Think it's justified personally. If I was watching the Italy game in Italy in an Italian pub with a bunch of Italians I would not over celebrate the Sturridge goal esp if I was representing my company abroad

G2L in voice of reason mode, as per usual.

If you happen to be in the Stretford End when your team scores a winner against United and you start celebrating, you can expect to get a load of abuse prawn sandwiches abuse thrown at you.

TBH, I've never heard of this guy before. If you're wearing a badge, you're representing that badge when you do anything in public. That's the bottom line. Shame for him, but it sounds like he's a good enough player to come back from it.
used to be a blonde I am sure he did a challenge with the tank back in the dsy

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2014, 08:31:46 AM »

Think for context I would like to see what happened when Spain scored. If Dale and assorted "orange men" had berm identified as supporting holland and the Spanish rushed them when they scored first, this seems pretty harsh! If dale went cold for the old get it right up ye, with no provocation, then massive face palm.  I guess pokerstars contracts must be pretty lax, if the company is picking up the bar tab you normally literally have to shoot someone to get sacked! Hence why the free bar culture is dying in the HR obsessed world. It doesn't really matter if he was drinking as the drink creates the atmosphere!
teamonkey

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2014, 10:10:18 AM »

Could this be a case of "internet poker player doesnt know how to act when in public"Huh???

just a thought

PS, i'm not just blaming poker players, my own teenage kids 18 and 16 non poker players are incredibly lacking in "social skills" due to their dependence on ipods, xboxs, youtube etc etc

when i was a lad................
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2014, 11:51:36 AM »

Think he's fked now tbh because I am pretty sure he is no longer a profitable player and has lived off his deal for a long time.

GG

Slammed.
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2014, 02:00:25 PM »

I missed the 1st half so didnt see the celebration for the video or the Spanish celebration for their goal but saw everything else, also Im friends with Dale so spoke to him a lot directly after it.

Im not sure if Dale had been drinking at all but even if he was, he wasnt drunk.  There was free beer being passed around but not so much to get everyone smashed by that point (couple of jugs being shared out between 100+ every 10 mins or whatever)

I thought he went pretty over the top with his celebrations, he celebrated more than the actual dutch guys he was sitting with.  I dunno if it was in retaliation to the way the Spanish celebrated but it seemed a bit much for me, he is a Rangers fan and Im certain he wouldnt celebrate a Rangers goal like this if it was a Rangers V Celtic game and its a mixed crowd.  When you factor in he is wearing a stars patch at a stars event and repping the company then he def has to be smarter than that.

However I really dont think Dale thought the Spanish would react the way they did and thought they would see it as friendly banter.  The shouted abuse at him and shouted threats at him, they tweeted threats to him during the game that they were gonna attack him on his way to his room.  When Spain scored (before they realized it was disallowed), maybe 20+ Spanish guys who had been threatening him all ran towards him shouting in his face and pushing him and grabbing him.  Security had to back them off. 

Im told they all complained in person to stars reps there and on twitter to some higher-ups.  So from stars POV Id imagine they just see all these complaints from Spanish people and their side of it + the video of the celebration and probably didnt look much more into it.  What they wouldnt have seen is that when Dale realized how mad everyone was over it he went over and tried to apologize to them before the game ended and was quiet for the rest of the game however for the rest of the week he still continually got threats on twitter and in person from random Spanish people still angry over the incident.

Although I think Dale went overboard and was in the wrong, I think stars have massively overreacted by dropping him.  If they looked into it more they wouldve found out he didnt expect the reaction he got and he did apologize very quickly to them but still had to spend the rest of the week taking their abuse (which is probably behind the "cant wait to get out of Spain" tweet).

Personally I think the Spanish players involved acted worse than Dale in the whole incident and, imo, the Spanish players/staff were pretty rude in general and it shouldve been taken into account when stars decided what to do with Dale.

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2014, 02:15:58 PM »

He was full of drink, anyone who drinks will have done worse. He was too relaxed and forgot he was at work representing the brand that pay him to do just that.

Fuck his life that it cost him that much.

From his blog in the past I think dale has gone tea total, he appears to be drinking water in the vid.

He has basically got screwed by a vindictive over reaction from the locals and put stars in a position where there hand is forced. Unfortunately for him I would imagine the negative reaction to this one incident is far worse from a marketing point of view than anything positive he can bring through his blog/ twitter. Daniel negreanu does this and at best he gets a little word in his ear behind the scenes.

Well that's just a bad comparison.

Daniel Negreanu vs Dale?! I don't think even Dale himself would expect nearly the same treatment by Stars as Daniel would get in similar circumstances. Daniel is of significantly more value to the brand.

I can't imagine Daniel doing something like that either. Would enjoy watching that!

That is my point Costa. Dale is worth not enough to stars, for them to overlook this . They are better appeasing 20/30 .es players than keeping him on.

Interesting blog by Daniel the other day.

http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-journal.php?subaction=showfull&id=1402646043&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&

I quote Poker is supposed to be fun guys, it's not war. There is no need for a Nazi like enforcement of rules

It absolutely makes me cringe somebody using the word Nazi to describe a minor event such as this.  I'd put it pretty much put this on a par with what Dale did. 

Backstory to the Matusow incident here

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-blogs/89-allyn-shulman/entries/561819-wsop-the

FWIW I have been on the receieving end of an obnoxious celebration when I was knocked out of a big tournament and would happily give anyone who did that a 1 round penalty even without the backstory.  As Daniel says, poker is meant to be fun... 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
willrobrobu

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2014, 02:17:50 PM »

in isolation i think its a little harsh. a slap on the wrists/final warning/making him write an apology on his blog or something like that would have sufficed. if there is more we dont know about or this was the final straw for stars then fair enough IMO, its enough
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2014, 02:20:47 PM »

Dont think they were looking to drop him early.  2-3 months ago they sent a camera crew out to him for a few days to record one of those team pro documentarys.

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
demetri1978

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2014, 11:11:58 AM »

terrible hotel imo
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: