blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 11:22:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272675 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16724 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  CV advice required.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CV advice required.  (Read 2951 times)
brummieboy

View Profile WWW
« on: March 18, 2008, 11:09:04 AM »

Finally started to look for a job the last couple of weeks after 18 months of sitting in my underpants playing poker all day.
Not had as good a response as I expected which could be down to being the end of the financial year or could it be down to the gap on my CV since September 06.

Is it worth putting something down on my CV for the last 18 months, if so what exactly? Or shall I just mention in a cover letter that i've had a career break?

I suppose I could get artistic for example state I was a freelance Database administrator (well I have been using Poker Office and Poker Tracker a lot.)

Anyone have any advice please.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 11:22:25 AM »

What do you want to do?

Unfortunately, many employers will see 'poker player' and think 'lazy, reckless gambler' before filing your CV in the bin.
matt674

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 11:26:30 AM »

"i booked 18 months off to travel the world - then realized i was agrophobic..............."

sponsored by Fyffes
brummieboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 11:31:57 AM »

What do you want to do?

Unfortunately, many employers will see 'poker player' and think 'lazy, reckless gambler' before filing your CV in the bin.

Looking at going back into IT Support.
brummieboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 11:32:13 AM »

"i booked 18 months off to travel the world - then realized i was agrophobic..............."

Lol
madasahatstand

Bang

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 11:37:58 AM »

the travelling the world be would be good or maybe that you worked freelance and decided you wanted to go back to the workforce as you didnt enjoy working alone? Depends what kind of job it is though?  Tell them something that doesnt make you look like a degenerate gambler Smiley

Patience is a virtue.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 11:46:20 AM »

Use some artistic licence. I'd never employ someone who admitted they'd played poker for 18 months, I'd put them in the little box in my mind labelled "moans a lot, never satisfied, know how to criticise, but don't know how to do".

But then you'd not wanna work for me......

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
MrsBoldie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 11:57:11 AM »

I decided to take a bit time out after Boldie and I moved house recently.  I simply listed it as "career break" on my CV.  I was actually head-hunted before I wanted to go back to work and my time out of work was never mentioned at the interview.  I'm not sure if I was just lucky but with so many people unfortunately suffering badly from stress these days, I don't think "career break" looks too bad.  If asked, you could then say you took time out for family reasons (probably not a lie and no-one ever questions this further).
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 01:11:34 PM »

Use some artistic licence. I'd never employ someone who admitted they'd played poker for 18 months, I'd put them in the little box in my mind labelled "moans a lot, never satisfied, know how to criticise, but don't know how to do".

But then you'd not wanna work for me......

snoopy?
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 01:28:15 PM »

The gaming industry need IT support. They won't look down on 18 months of poker.

I work in fruit machine design and the 18 months I played poker full time was a deal maker in the interview.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 02:40:21 PM »

If you can blag that you've been freelancing in the field you're in for 18 months, I'd do that.

I probably wouldn't employ someone who'd be playing full-time poker, as I couldn't guarantee that they'd be able to work successfully 9-5 (and I guess the role you're looking for would be normal office hours?).  Of course, in Adam's case it's relevant and therefore a plus - but there won't be many industries that consider playing full-time poker an asset. 

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 02:43:35 PM »

charity work in a third world country always goes down well just have to do some research on your chosen country 1st
rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 03:09:47 PM »

I'm an IT development manager and have done a fair bit of recruitment. As long as the CV says something for any gaps, I'm not particularly concerned at the CV stage. Will ask about a long "career break" gap at interview - probably best to judge your interviewer whether to tell the truth or not. If you can eloquently explain an attempt at a pro-poker playing career it may not go down too badly. Personally I'd be quite interested, but then I play poker, so I would. IT peeps tend to be quite pokery generally so you may be ok.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 03:21:55 PM »

property development.
ItsMrAlex2u

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 03:44:14 PM »

property development.

Demolition would sound more realistic in sheffield !!

Best QM ever

FACT !
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: