blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:07:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272704 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Laxie Goes Primetime
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laxie Goes Primetime  (Read 144789 times)
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: October 22, 2011, 09:57:45 AM »

Anthony Morton

Crossroads

Played Spanish chef Carlos Raphael

And nothing to do with anything, but why did they make a show based on a motel?!  Hotel, fine.  B&B, grand.  But a motel?  Huh?  Really?  A motel...hmmmmmm.  No wonder it's axed.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 22, 2011, 10:23:41 AM »

Anthony Morton

Crossroads

And nothing to do with anything, but why did they make a show based on a motel?!  Hotel, fine.  B&B, grand.  But a motel?  Huh?  Really?  A motel...hmmmmmm.  No wonder it's axed.

Correct.

Why a motel? Because in it's day, back in the early sixties, "motel" was sort of "sexy", it was something Brits had only seen or heard of in American films & song lyrics. Sort of "posh", like the phrases "LA", or "Beverly Hills"., or "burgers".

It was incredibly successful, & featured what were thought, at the time, to be controversial issues, like paraplegics, foster children, inter-racial romances, etc. Times have changed, it's hard to grasp how much until you compare the 60's with now.

The Star of the Show was Noele Gordon, who had a similar sort of profile as Sir Terry Wogan does now, & her Son played the role of a wheelchair bound paraplegic, "Sandy". By freak & ugly chance, the actor who played Sandy later became wheelchair-bound in "real life".

Carlos the Chef was awesome, & collected numerous awards for "Worst Actor" & "Worst Character Portrayal".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossroads_(soap_opera)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:38:59 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #572 on: October 22, 2011, 10:35:52 AM »

You like my clue Dawn?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 22, 2011, 10:41:03 AM »

Was an excellent clue once I had a clue what it meant. 

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: October 22, 2011, 10:46:44 AM »

Anthony Morton

Crossroads

Correct.

Why a motel? Because in it's day, back in the early sixties, "motel" was sort of "sexy", it was something Brits had only seen or heard of in American films & song lyrics. Sort of "posh", like the phrases "LA", or "Beverly Hills"., or "burgers".

It was incredibly successful, & featured what were thought, at the time, to be controversial issues, like paraplegics, foster children, inter-racial romances, etc. Times have changed, it's hard to grasp how much until you compare the 60's with now.

The Star of the Show was Noele Gordon, who had a similar sort of profile as Sir Terry Wogan does now, & her Son played the role of a wheelchair bound paraplegic, "Sandy". By freak & ugly chance, the actor who played Sandy later became wheelchair-bound in "real life".

Carlos the Chef was awesome, & collected numerous awards for "Worst Actor" & "Worst Character Portrayal".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossroads_(soap_opera)

Norman Bates was a motel fan too so it's difficult for me to include 'sexy' in a motel's description.   

From what I've stumbled on around the net this morning, Carlos seemed to be a funny character.  Some sites even said he was a key figure on the show and it was a risk to sack him.  Amazing how he was only active for a few of all the years Crossroads was aired and he's the one you thought of.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: October 22, 2011, 10:52:47 AM »

Benny ftw. What a hero.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 22, 2011, 11:03:15 AM »

Benny ftw. What a hero.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 22, 2011, 11:13:42 AM »

Anthony Morton
Crossroads
Played Spaish chef Carlos Raphael

Most soaps/sit coms used to have a very low budget (Crossorads had very wobbly walls) and ideally most ofthe scenes happen in only a handful of sets to keep the costs down. Liver Birds - mainly in 1 living room, that barbershop sitcom - all in he barbershop,Corrie - initially in the pub, a couple of living rooms and a shop.

Crossroads was live to start iirc and there was always a last scene after the credits, funn moment was the scottish chef laughing before realising the camera was back on him and he changed his face into a shocked and devastated look as he took a cliffhanger phone call. My grandmother used to watch this obsessively with a cup of tea and chain smoking senior service cigarettes.  Smiley
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 22, 2011, 12:30:09 PM »

Two pages later, we've solved the mystery of the man.  Now we just need to know why you asked in the first place Tony? 

And while all the research was happening, a certain anon female from blonde has asked me to move in with her.  Apparently she has some DIY needs doing and reckons I'm the man for the job.  Talk of food, drink and switch hitting.  This whole day has been very odd and it's barely noon.   

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 22, 2011, 12:42:44 PM »

Two pages later, we've solved the mystery of the man.  Now we just need to know why you asked in the first place Tony?  And while all the research was happening, a certain anon female from blonde has asked me to move in with her.  Apparently she has some DIY needs doing and reckons I'm the man for the job.  Talk of food, drink and switch hitting.  This whole day has been very odd and it's barely noon.   

Because Tighty said....

"....Save the Brookside compilation video"...

At that stage, I may have got a tad confused between Brookside & Crossroads, but you get the drift, & can see the root of my confusion.

Nothing should be allowed to detract from Tighty's epic failure to identify the character. His geek & OCD ratings have both been cut.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 22, 2011, 12:44:59 PM »

Brookside, Liverpool 1982-2009

Crossroads, Birmingham 1965ish to 1989ish

Spent 24 hours trying to work out why you were posting Corssroads on here, and now I get the answer I feel so let down

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 22, 2011, 12:47:18 PM »

So simple, it whooshed us proper.  That's like a 3 bet, back raise combo with a triple flip thrown in for fun.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 03:34:27 PM by Laxie » Logged

Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: October 22, 2011, 03:15:37 PM »

Two pages later, we've solved the mystery of the man.  Now we just need to know why you asked in the first place Tony?  And while all the research was happening, a certain anon female from blonde has asked me to move in with her.  Apparently she has some DIY needs doing and reckons I'm the man for the job.  Talk of food, drink and switch hitting.  This whole day has been very odd and it's barely noon.   
Because Tighty said....
"....Save the Brookside compilation video"...
At that stage, I may have got a tad confused between Brookside & Crossroads, but you get the drift, & can see the root of my confusion. Nothing should be allowed to detract from Tighty's epic failure to identify the character. His geek & OCD ratings have both been cut.

Not really - I am totally confused about the whole thing. Can you start again?
TRIP5
If you can't say someting nice, at least try to be funny...

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: October 22, 2011, 06:50:18 PM »

OI! I did my canvessing and paid my dues...
WHERE THE FECK IS MINI-LAXIE WHEN I NEED HER???
Sort it Mum

xx

TKP FOR APAT!!!
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 22, 2011, 07:12:09 PM »

She's a teen ffs!  They're flighty and unreliable when it comes to stuff like that.  Plus I forgot to mention it to her when we were chatting on Skype last night.  Can ya tell we're related?

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 ... 74 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: