blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 06:43:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272716 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Reluctant update
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reluctant update  (Read 9547 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2012, 06:45:41 PM »

How do Protect Your Bubble know that your phone isn't already lost or damaged?

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2012, 07:37:10 PM »

So....

In simple language, how / where do I type up a document and then save it so that I can retrieve and edit it or attach it to an email at a later date please?

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2012, 07:46:43 PM »

www.dropbox.com would be a good solution.

Install it on your PC, install it on your phone.  Work on the document on your phone, it will be ready for you when you get to your pc.  Work on it on your pc, go out and about and then suddenly get a spare moment to send the email, do it from your phone, updated doc already on your phone.

In addition, you can use your dropbox as a backup solution for important files.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2012, 08:03:14 PM »

Install it on your PC, install it on your phone.  Work on the document on your phone, it will be ready for you when you get to your pc.  Work on it on your pc, go out and about and then suddenly get a spare moment to send the email, do it from your phone, updated doc already on your phone.

"Work on the document on your phone"

Firstly, where do I actually create the document please Simon? I need to open something to type on to.

Also, I assume dropbox is online, so I would need a data connection to access it? How does it work?

Can I save stuff on my phone, and if so how?

marcro

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2012, 08:27:06 PM »

"Work on the document on your phone"

Firstly, where do I actually create the document please Simon? I need to open something to type on to.

Also, I assume dropbox is online, so I would need a data connection to access it? How does it work?

Can I save stuff on my phone, and if so how?

Check out www.evernote.com, I think this will meet your requirements.
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2012, 08:40:51 PM »

Probably a good time for someone else to take over on the advice but...:

To be able to work on it on your phone, you would need the software to be able to do it.  E.g. Microsoft Office.  If you don't have it, you phone will probably be able to view the document, but not work on it.  Not sure what is on your phone, but mine just lets me view or edit the docs that I pull up from dropbox.  It's a fiddle, but I can do the basic functions on the phone, insert a few numbers on a spreadsheet, re-wrtie a paragraph on a word document, etc, but never need to/tried to do any complex formatting when on my phone.

There is a nice little demo on the dropbox website giving an overview of how it works, but yes, you would need to be able to connect at some point.

There's probably better apps that others can recommend, but I used to use (before Dropbox) Astro manager as an app.  It would give you a file explorer system of folders much like you'd have on your PC and you can save work to your phone/memory card as you choose.  I don't use Astro any more as dropbox is a cloud solution with a decent enough file manager system built in.

When using email from my phone, I select "attach a file" and it gives me the choice of source, which for me now is usually dropbox.  I can attach the whole document, if that is what I wanted to send, or if for example I wanted to send a bunch of photos I'd just taken, then I could create a link to a folder with those photos in, and just send the url in the email.. in other words not trying to send a very large file.

Hope that helps.. if not, wait for Boshi Smiley

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2012, 08:51:47 PM »

Probably a good time for someone else to take over on the advice but...:

To be able to work on it on your phone, you would need the software to be able to do it.  E.g. Microsoft Office.  If you don't have it, you phone will probably be able to view the document, but not work on it.  Not sure what is on your phone, but mine just lets me view or edit the docs that I pull up from dropbox.  It's a fiddle, but I can do the basic functions on the phone, insert a few numbers on a spreadsheet, re-wrtie a paragraph on a word document, etc, but never need to/tried to do any complex formatting when on my phone.

There is a nice little demo on the dropbox website giving an overview of how it works, but yes, you would need to be able to connect at some point.

There's probably better apps that others can recommend, but I used to use (before Dropbox) Astro manager as an app.  It would give you a file explorer system of folders much like you'd have on your PC and you can save work to your phone/memory card as you choose.  I don't use Astro any more as dropbox is a cloud solution with a decent enough file manager system built in.

When using email from my phone, I select "attach a file" and it gives me the choice of source, which for me now is usually dropbox.  I can attach the whole document, if that is what I wanted to send, or if for example I wanted to send a bunch of photos I'd just taken, then I could create a link to a folder with those photos in, and just send the url in the email.. in other words not trying to send a very large file.

Hope that helps.. if not, wait for Boshi Smiley

Yes it did help.

It would appear that I need some kind of office app for a start.

I looked at the dropbox vid. It appears really useful, although you couldn't put everything on there because there's a 2 gig limit, probably just the job for sharing docs or pics.

So could I upload a pic to dropbox and then paste the URL into a blonde thread?

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2012, 09:02:09 PM »

Absolutely.  I haven't done it very often, but even better, you coudl have dropbox set up so when you take a photo, it automatically gets saved to dropbox for you too.  (Saves having to upload them to your PC when you get home, they will already be on there)

The 2GB is quite a lot, and there are steps you can take to increase that limit for free too.

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2012, 09:05:43 PM »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1y115xjxzc32crt/scAjI41fDD

Couple of throwaway photos to give you the idea.  Recipients would be given that link, but would not be able to leap-frog from that folder into the rest of your dropbox.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2012, 09:11:07 PM »

That's great, you fat bastard.

I suppose it would make sense to re-size the images before you upload them. That way you would use less space and less data.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2012, 09:13:19 PM »

You can get them to come up as pictures too.

Click to see full-size image.

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2012, 09:36:28 PM »

yea, I put that photo on Blonde earlier this summer.. was yummy too Wink 

This time I just gave you the url so you could see what the link would look like to someone who received it from you via email.

One of the things that swung me towards OneX rather than SIII was they offered me 25GB dropbox for free.  Fat bastard I might be, but I don't eat that much that it would take 25GB to capture it anytime soon!  You can re-size if you want to, but for a lot of photos that have a limited shelf life, just delete them from your dropbox later if you run into capacity issues.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2012, 09:40:37 PM »

yea, I put that photo on Blonde earlier this summer.. was yummy too Wink 

This time I just gave you the url so you could see what the link would look like to someone who received it from you via email.

One of the things that swung me towards OneX rather than SIII was they offered me 25GB dropbox for free.  Fat bastard I might be, but I don't eat that much that it would take 25GB to capture it anytime soon!  You can re-size if you want to, but for a lot of photos that have a limited shelf life, just delete them from your dropbox later if you run into capacity issues.

Yes but if you upload 20 2mb photos that's 40mb of data gone from your allowance.

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2012, 09:43:48 PM »

Oh.. you are talking about data on your phone contract allowance?  Assumed most people had AYCE data on the latest phones or 1GB at least.

Edit... now read OP Cheesy

I GB is still quite a lot, you can use an app like 3G Watchdog to monitor your usage/refresh date.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2012, 09:45:04 PM »

Not to mention the time it would take to upload them on a slow connection.

Note: I'm not sure about any of this. I may be talking bollocks.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: