blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 03:47:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272673 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: Aledkanny
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary
Pages: 1 ... 1866 1867 1868 1869 [1870] 1871 1872 1873 1874 ... 2344 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vagueness and the Aftermath - A sporadic diary  (Read 3621334 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28035 on: May 18, 2016, 09:07:07 PM »

My daughter thought trilogy was pronounced tri-ology.

The older I get, the better I was.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28036 on: May 19, 2016, 09:14:11 AM »

I don't know why I wonder about these things but I do.

Yesterday during a project I removed 32 screws and then later I replaced them. The screws were identical so I replaced them at random. How many screws are likely to have ended up in the original hole?

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #28037 on: May 19, 2016, 09:21:50 AM »

Yesterday during a project I removed 32 screws and then later I replaced them. The screws were identical so I replaced them at random. How many screws are likely to have ended up in the original hole?

My immediate reaction is the most likely number is one.

Each one has a 1 in 32 chance of being in its original hole and there are 32 of them.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #28038 on: May 19, 2016, 09:54:35 AM »

Each one has a 1 in 32 chance of being in its original hole and there are 32 of them.

The first one has a 1 in 32 chance, the second may have a zero chance because it was supposed to go in the hole the first one went in, or it has a 1/31 chance, and so on?

It's all about conditional probability innit.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28039 on: May 19, 2016, 10:13:52 AM »

the second may have a zero chance because it was supposed to go in the hole the first one went in,

This is what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #28040 on: May 19, 2016, 10:29:57 AM »

The first one has a 1 in 32 chance, the second may have a zero chance because it was supposed to go in the hole the first one went in, or it has a 1/31 chance, and so on?

0 + 31 x 1/31 = 1?

That doesn't mean that 1 is most likely, just that on average you'll get 1 in the same hole.  I suspect 0 is most likely, but too tired to work it out.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #28041 on: May 19, 2016, 10:32:23 AM »

Hmmm...but we don't know that. It's the same reason the chances of being dealt pocket aces aren't affected by whether you're in the small blind or on the button, isn't it? If you found out after each screw replacement whether it was in the odd hole or whether the next screw's hole were available, that would be different.

FWIW I'm not sure I'm right on this, because my answer means it doesn't matter whether it's 32 screws and holes or 3.2million of each.

Edit: officer Doobs is most likely Da Man.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #28042 on: May 19, 2016, 03:11:42 PM »

Hmmm...but we don't know that. It's the same reason the chances of being dealt pocket aces aren't affected by whether you're in the small blind or on the button, isn't it? If you found out after each screw replacement whether it was in the odd hole or whether the next screw's hole were available, that would be different.

FWIW I'm not sure I'm right on this, because my answer means it doesn't matter whether it's 32 screws and holes or 3.2million of each.

Edit: officer Doobs is most likely Da Man.

I've tried working it out - and my head hurts.

Set up an Excel table which allocated a random position to screw 1-32 and checks for them getting the same random number as their number in the list. I ran 500 test runs.

356 got none right.
93 got 1
39 got 2
9 got 3
2 got 4
1 got 5.

roughly 1 in 4 has at least one screw in the right hole.

How to prove it mathematically - life's too short....

*Yes I realise I'm saying that after spending half an hour trying to work all this out....

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #28043 on: May 19, 2016, 03:43:01 PM »

off the top of my head 1-(n-1/n)^n seems right, but this margin is too small to prove it  Roll Eyes

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #28044 on: May 19, 2016, 05:34:38 PM »

off the top of my head 1-(n-1/n)^n seems right, but this margin is too small to prove it  Roll Eyes

Oh no! Shocked

I didn't read the question properly - what I've put is obviously the chance of getting any in the right place for n screws and holes.

I'd go with Tal's logic as well; there are 32 chances to get 1/32 so the most likely outcome is 1 (assuming you don't check them one at a time as you go along)

This'll teach me not to try any maths while I'm trying to pretend to work Smiley

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28045 on: May 19, 2016, 05:36:56 PM »

15 years ago I paid £100 for a very nice comprehensive tool set which was in a half price sale at Halfords. It's served me really well over the years,  I've broken the odd socket or lost the occasional spanner now and then but I've made a point of replacing them straight away to keep the set complete.

Then this morning, horror of horrors, the plastic toolbox hinge snapped causing the toolbox to fall in half and rendering it unusable.

I could have transferred the tools to another box but this box has dedicated cut-out sections for everything, so if a tool is missing or hasn't been put back, it sticks out like a sore thumb. The accusing gape of the empty space staring up at me has helped me to keep the set complete for all these years, if the box goes, it won't be long before the tools start to follow suit.

So I made a special trip to Go Fixings (one of my all time favourite shops) and purchased two metal hinges of precisely the right size, and eight stubby self tapping screws, thick enough to do the job, (I had to ream the hinges a little for them to pass through) but short enough not to pierce the double skin of the box and protrude to the inside.

It turned out great. I'm predicting at least another 15 years use.

Posted for the gratification of Nirvana, who seems to be tittilated by this sort of thing.

Click to see full-size image.

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #28046 on: May 19, 2016, 05:47:41 PM »

Haha, I really do. I love the frugality (if that's a word), the skill, the patience, the looking afterness of it all. The box sounds like a good example of 5S disciplines, in it's own small way, that you'll find in any good workshop or manufacturing plant.

I've never been much of a looker after and it's hard to count the skips I've filled over the years with stuff that should have lasted longer or perfectly good junk because I couldn't be bothered to maintain, repair, find a new home for it or a buyer.

So, I think we're just drawn to the things we're not and I love watching things getting done that I've been poor at - in this case it helps offset the negative feelings I have about my own consumerism and inclination to see most things as disposable.

sola virtus nobilitat
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28047 on: May 19, 2016, 06:19:36 PM »

Haha, I really do. I love the frugality (if that's a word), the skill, the patience, the looking afterness of it all. The box sounds like a good example of 5S disciplines, in it's own small way, that you'll find in any good workshop or manufacturing plant.

I've never been much of a looker after and it's hard to count the skips I've filled over the years with stuff that should have lasted longer or perfectly good junk because I couldn't be bothered to maintain, repair, find a new home for it or a buyer.

So, I think we're just drawn to the things we're not and I love watching things getting done that I've been poor at - in this case it helps offset the negative feelings I have about my own consumerism and inclination to see most things as disposable.

I do enjoy doing this sort of stuff but you're right, frugality is the driving force. Well that and the fact that I abhor waste.

I wish I could let myself be a bit more bala sometimes but I just can't.

For example, My brother John and I are planning to do a little European motorcycle tour, we've been planning it for ages. We both needed protective clothing. He went into a motorcycle accessories shop and bought a Jacket ~ £200, Kevlar jeans £100+ Gloves ~£60 etc..

I trawled the charity shops and car boot sales. I got gloves for £3, Trousers for £5, and a leather jacket for £7.

I can't help it. The way I see it, finding those items is equivalent to going out and earning £300. Plus, the leather jacket I bought was all neglected and sad, but I treated it with some saddle soap and TLC and now it has a new lease of life.

John says I'm too busy farting around saving pennies to earn pounds. The worst part is, I know he's right.

This is us on a practice run to Skeggy the other week.

Not long now, God willing....

Click to see full-size image.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28048 on: May 19, 2016, 06:29:09 PM »

So, I think we're just drawn to the things we're not

I wish I had been in a band or gone to uni.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28049 on: May 19, 2016, 06:32:55 PM »

I'll tell you who is bala, BobbleHat. He bought me a book once, never asked me for the money or anything...

Pages: 1 ... 1866 1867 1868 1869 [1870] 1871 1872 1873 1874 ... 2344 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: