blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 08:26:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272652 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 ... 87 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner  (Read 237047 times)
Hairydude

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: September 05, 2011, 10:21:50 PM »

Bosh would you recommend the energy gels? seen a lot of empty packets in the second half of the Half Marathon and near the end coulda done with some extra energy; managed to get a few jelly babies from handouts and they helped a bit

Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #751 on: September 05, 2011, 10:57:54 PM »

I always find gels difficult to take. They tend to sit on my stomach and then you need water to help digest them.

But recently I tried the isotonic ones from SIS, and they seem to agree with me.

http://www.bodyactive-online.co.uk/Shopping/PdSIS-GO-Gel.asp

Not sure where I got mine from, but I got some of these in the tropical flavour and think they help, but that might just be a placebo effect?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Hairydude

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 06, 2011, 09:58:07 AM »

I think I'm gonna try them; wouldnt want the ones you need water with as I dont run with a bottle; just get water at the station handouts. Even if it is just a placebo.... if it helps, it helps; even if it is just your mind tricking you eh?

Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #753 on: September 13, 2011, 01:27:19 PM »

Moved house recently to South Derbyshire.  Went out for a run this morning to check out a route that goes through woodland park trails in the National Forest - which quite conveniently, is right on my doorstep.

Lovely place to run, through wooded areas, alongside a lake, a disused railway line and a quarry and includes the 'CONKERS' Circuit which is all signposted for walkers/runners/cyclists, etc.  Was only planning on doing a 5-mile run, but got lost in a wooded area and ended up doing an 8-mile run instead.  As I was running saw a few signs for a 10K run there this Sunday.  So looks like I'll be doing that now.

Not many good photos of the woods or the lake on the web, here's one I found:
 Click to see full-size image.

Will have to get Lyndsey to take some better ones!

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #754 on: September 18, 2011, 12:57:31 PM »

45 minutes for the 10k today, not done much running at all since the tr24 weekend so it was a bit tougher and slower than I'd otherwise have hoped.

Going to aim for a winter half-marathon and get back into a routine again, with a few 10k races on the way. I reckon on a fast road race course I'd be able to get close to 42 minutes at least.

StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 18, 2011, 01:19:31 PM »

45 minutes for the 10k today, not done much running at all since the tr24 weekend so it was a bit tougher and slower than I'd otherwise have hoped.

Going to aim for a winter half-marathon and get back into a routine again, with a few 10k races on the way. I reckon on a fast road race course I'd be able to get close to 42 minutes at least.

Managed to knock out my first 10k ever on the treadmill on Friday 67mins 40secs, not in your league but pretty proud of myself none the less. Going to keep it up and try and get it under an hour. Toying with the idea of this though, http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/support_us/events/running_events/parkinsons_10k_spooky_sprint.aspx we could stand next to each other at the start and everything, then if you hang around half an hour at the end we could go for a pint ;-)

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #756 on: September 18, 2011, 01:24:47 PM »

There was a girl there today who has done the course in 32 minutes! There's always someone faster (although she is a GB professional) but it's still pretty humbling.

I'm up for that 10k at Colwick, looks fun. Quite enjoy running in the dark after the tr24.

You entering it then?

gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 18, 2011, 03:56:33 PM »

how was the weather? I raced 10k today and it was so ridic hot, completely unexpected, it nearly killed me. 45:15 with pretty much no training and a rather excessive day of cake and wine yesterday so quite happy

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #758 on: September 18, 2011, 04:42:37 PM »

Hot here, and even though it rained loads over the last few days the course was really dry and not muddy at all. Didn't have to wear my trail shoes again, and used my road shoes. I'm guessing I'll be getting more use out of them over the winter.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 19, 2011, 11:40:10 AM »

Managed to knock out my first 10k ever on the treadmill on Friday 67mins 40secs, not in your league but pretty proud of myself none the less. Going to keep it up and try and get it under an hour. Toying with the idea of this though, http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/support_us/events/running_events/parkinsons_10k_spooky_sprint.aspx we could stand next to each other at the start and everything, then if you hang around half an hour at the end we could go for a pint ;-)

Was considering some kind of prop for this until I realised how close it is.

What you reckon Hopkin?

Think you could beat me in a 5k or 10k run?

Don't forget that I can't actually run and find it monumentally dull.

I can't imagine running non stop for 5 minutes never mind 67 minutes so God knows how I could ever do this.

I do however have the advantage of being totally incredible on my side which could even things up a bit.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: September 19, 2011, 11:42:02 AM »

how was the weather? I raced 10k today and it was so ridic hot, completely unexpected, it nearly killed me. 45:15 with pretty much no training and a rather excessive day of cake and wine yesterday so quite happy

Aren't you a fat lad any more Dan?

Not seen you for ages but if you're running these times I assume you are no longer 90% lard?

Impressive stuff  thumbs up

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #761 on: September 19, 2011, 11:44:59 AM »

Not seen you for ages but if you're running these times I assume you are no longer 90% lard?

LOL at giving gatso a severe rub-down whilst complimenting him. 

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #762 on: September 19, 2011, 11:47:37 AM »

What time do you reckon you could do with the correct preparation?  I reckon I could get close to 42 minutes, but it would have to be a road race and a fast course at that.  The one Stu's suggesting should be a quick course as it's very flat.

Sounds like you're possibly a naturally faster runner than me, so 42 minutes should be doable?

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 19, 2011, 12:10:04 PM »

...  I reckon I could get close to 42 minutes, but it would have to be a road race and a fast course at that.  The one Stu's suggesting should be a quick course as it's very flat.

Sounds like you're possibly a naturally faster runner than me, so 42 minutes should be doable?

My sister just helped organise a very flat, fast race at Bruce Castle Park in Tottenham

Her and my nieces did the 5k - but they did have a 10k course as well.

One person finished the 10k in about 45 minutes and all the people there were wow-ing about it because everyone else was basically a fun runner. That was last weekend though and I doubt you'd like it, it might be quick but it must be the most boring course possible to do 10k on (12 laps of the park).

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 19, 2011, 12:33:05 PM »

not weighed myself for a while but probs about 12 1/2 stone atm, really need to drop a stone off that to be running decent times

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 ... 87 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: