blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 02:59:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272653 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 87 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner  (Read 237069 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2009, 09:44:10 AM »

Taff Trail

That should do it

Smiley

Slightly optimistic with the distance there Jon Cheesy.  Might be worth a drive out and a run through some pleasant scenic parts though.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2009, 10:08:47 AM »

hows the training going?
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2009, 10:22:18 AM »

Taff Trail

That should do it

Smiley

Slightly optimistic with the distance there Jon Cheesy.  Might be worth a drive out and a run through some pleasant scenic parts though.

I've cycled some of it - tbh picking and choosing a section in advance and getting a clear route is a good idea because some of the directions for the trail aren't very clear.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2009, 10:30:55 AM »

Taff Trail

That should do it

Smiley

I've cycled some of it - tbh picking and choosing a section in advance and getting a clear route is a good idea because some of the directions for the trail aren't very clear.

Directions are over-rated.  If I run 10 miles in one direction, I just have to run 10 miles back in the direction I came from and that'll be a 20-mile run.

Will look into it a bit more, but it sounds like a plan.

Got one more 'long-run' to do in training now.  That'll be a 22 or 23 mile run.  Then it's 3 weeks of 'tapering', and reducing the number of miles I'm running a fair bit.  Apparently there's no benefit for a marathon to be gained from doing any long runs within the last 3 weeks - it'll just increase the chance of injury and depletes your energy levels.  So it's more about just ticking over, resting, and building up the energy stores - particularly in the last week  before the race.

My run yesterday was deliberately slow.  The training guides say to run well-below marathon pace, as it's not about speed on this run - it's about making sure you get it done and that you're on your feet for a good few hours.  So I ran it comfortably at 8:32 / mile pace - and although I was a bit knackered at the end, it wasn't too bad.  If I ran the marathon at that pace, it would give me a sub 3:45 time - so I think it shows my training is going well (fingers crossed)

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2009, 11:58:10 AM »

Taff Trail

That should do it

Smiley

Directions are over-rated.  If I run 10 miles in one direction, I just have to run 10 miles back in the direction I came from and that'll be a 20-mile run.

Got one more 'long-run' to do in training now.  That'll be a 22 or 23 mile run.  Then it's 3 weeks of 'tapering', and reducing the number of miles I'm running a fair bit.  Apparently there's no benefit for a marathon to be gained from doing any long runs within the last 3 weeks - it'll just increase the chance of injury and depletes your energy levels.  So it's more about just ticking over, resting, and building up the energy stores - particularly in the last week  before the race.

My run yesterday was deliberately slow.  The training guides say to run well-below marathon pace, as it's not about speed on this run - it's about making sure you get it done and that you're on your feet for a good few hours.  So I ran it comfortably at 8:32 / mile pace - and although I was a bit knackered at the end, it wasn't too bad.  If I ran the marathon at that pace, it would give me a sub 3:45 time - so I think it shows my training is going well (fingers crossed)

sigh...you're gonna break that 3.30 barrier, aren't ya?

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2009, 12:17:06 PM »

Taff Trail

That should do it

Smiley

I doubt it - but I hope it's close.

3:45 is definitely going (I'll be disappointed if I don't), and that's the time I have to beat in order to get you to double your donation.  Oh yes, I just checked.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2009, 12:19:36 PM »

Taff Trail

That should do it

Smiley

3:45 is definitely going (I'll be disappointed if I don't), and that's the time I have to beat in order to get you to double your donation.  Oh yes, I just checked.
#

Really?..thought it was 3.30.....hmmm I'll have to check again....I sense a grimming coming up Wink

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2009, 12:22:46 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2009, 01:01:13 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

FML....please don't trip and fall....wouldn't want you to break anything over the next few weeks Wink

cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2009, 01:22:21 PM »

Taff Trail

That should do it

Smiley

#

Really?..thought it was 3.30.....hmmm I'll have to check again....I sense a grimming coming up Wink

impossible you have his staking £££££££££'s
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2009, 01:34:09 PM »

Taff Trail

That should do it

Smiley

#

excellent point...everything on the national Smiley

cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2009, 01:42:34 PM »

Taff Trail

That should do it

Smiley

#

excellent point...everything on the national Smiley

you win no probs

you lose you die

I know what you're thinking- "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But, being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2009, 10:06:19 AM »

Kin, on your facebook you say you did 20 miles this morning, is that the 'golden training figure' to reach for anyone prepping for the race?  The extra adrenaline on the day should carry you from there maybe?

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2009, 10:15:53 AM »

Kin, on your facebook you say you did 20 miles this morning, is that the 'golden training figure' to reach for anyone prepping for the race?  The extra adrenaline on the day should carry you from there maybe?

I was going to post an update on here - so I guess I'll do that now! 

I don't think there is a golden figure, and I actually wanted to do 23 miles today, but just simply didn't have the time (yes, I should have got up earlier).  But the training schedule has a few long runs of about 20 miles.  No point doing the full 26 (although lots of people do, just so they know they are ready for it).  On the day you're (or should be) well-rested, you'll have been carbo-loading and focusing everything for the day.  The extra adrenaline on the day certainly makes a difference too.  That, and the crowds of people cheering you on.

After this run, it's all downhill (as in easier, not getting worse) as I'll be tapering up to the race in 19 days time.  No more 20-milers, possibly a few 15-mile runs, but mostly shorter runs just to keep things ticking over.  Then lots of rest, trying to avoid picking up any injuries or colds, and lots of eating!!   

Shogun112

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2009, 06:08:49 PM »

I was going to post an update on here - so I guess I'll do that now! 

I don't think there is a golden figure, and I actually wanted to do 23 miles today, but just simply didn't have the time (yes, I should have got up earlier).  But the training schedule has a few long runs of about 20 miles.  No point doing the full 26 (although lots of people do, just so they know they are ready for it).  On the day you're (or should be) well-rested, you'll have been carbo-loading and focusing everything for the day.  The extra adrenaline on the day certainly makes a difference too.  That, and the crowds of people cheering you on.

After this run, it's all downhill (as in easier, not getting worse) as I'll be tapering up to the race in 19 days time.  No more 20-milers, possibly a few 15-mile runs, but mostly shorter runs just to keep things ticking over.  Then lots of rest, trying to avoid picking up any injuries or colds, and lots of eating!!   

A number of years back, I lived in a guest house in Glasgow for a year where I met a pro boxer.  He was telling me about his pre fight training, and mostly it was fitness, then about 5 weeks before the fight, he did 4 weeks of sparring, mugs from all over the country sent to him to take a bopping lol, and then for the last week, no more punching or being punched.  He needed to let the bruises of the sparring heal, and also build his carbs up for a week, making sure he is doing something etc...  Some similarities to what you are doing, hows yer nose?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 87 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: