blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 08:03:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272685 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 167 168 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2212938 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2445 on: May 18, 2016, 05:21:11 PM »

I find the whole thing interesting in that I'm borderline leave on the simple basis that I feel so totally manipulated by the whole process from when a referendum was first mooted.

I love the multiculturalism that exists here and believe that we're massive beneficiaries of the various migrant waves to the UK and all the richer for it on so many levels. Also, feel 'pride' for want of a better word that you'd be hard pushed to find a more multicultural country with such a low level of general xenophobia.

Also think it's entirely legitimate that people express genuine concern over the levels of migration from EU states to here - it doesn't make me xenophobic I hope - having said all that I got Camel's point without thinking DIAGF

sola virtus nobilitat
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: May 18, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »

Tony Benn's political outlook may not have been to everyone's taste, but however you view him I think most would agree that he was a true believer in democracy.
He formulated five questions to be asked of all who exercise power:

“What power have you got?”

“Where did you get it from?”

“In whose interests do you use it?”

“To whom are you accountable?”

“How do we get rid of you?”

What answers do we get from Junckers?
From an army of Brussels/Strasbourg political animals?
As I see it, the power within the EU is held illegitimately and is often exercised against this country's needs. How do we get rid of them? Either by engineering a root &I branch reform of the EU or by leaving.
Which of these is feasible?

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: May 18, 2016, 08:46:13 PM »

I do like these tests from Benn and wish the debate had more of a philosophical hue to it. Probably why I like the leave case because although they have their fair share of rando morons, I like the purer philosophical arguments around democracy and sovereignty.

At the same time I quite like the one philosophical element that I can latch on to for remaining - I don't find it easy to articulate but the notions around binding peoples together for some kind of common good and potentially avoiding catastrophes like the Balkan conflict

Just seems dominated by the economics argument where big biz and the establishment frighten the working and middle classes into believing they will lose their house and their job...again.

All feels a bit too shallow and would really like to see a whole series of properly moderated debates directly between the protagonists to help understand things a bit more deeply and make a more reasoned decision.

sola virtus nobilitat
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: May 18, 2016, 10:21:44 PM »

Tony Benn's political outlook may not have been to everyone's taste, but however you view him I think most would agree that he was a true believer in democracy.

As I see it, the power within the EU is held illegitimately and is often exercised against this country's needs. How do we get rid of them? Either by engineering a root &I branch reform of the EU or by leaving.

Why do you think it is held illegitimately?
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: May 19, 2016, 12:06:30 AM »

Because, as I see it, most of the power within the EU is held by people who weren't elected to hold it.
More to the point,
How would Junckers answer Benn's questions?
How would any of the Commissioners answer?
How much of the legislation/directives that come from Brussels/Strasbourg is actually derived from the efforts of people that were elected?

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: May 19, 2016, 12:29:15 AM »

Because, as I see it, most of the power within the EU is held by people who weren't elected to hold it.
More to the point,
How much of the legislation/directives that come from Brussels/Strasbourg is actually derived from the efforts of people that were elected?

I don't get the fixation over some people with power in EU institutions not having been elected. It makes no difference.
Many people with power in the UK weren't elected.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: May 19, 2016, 12:31:12 AM »

More to the point,

The illuminati innit....
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: May 19, 2016, 09:01:17 AM »

More to the point,

I don't get the fixation over some people with power in EU institutions not having been elected. It makes no difference.
Many people with power in the UK weren't elected.

Some? Who did we elect?
Please don't say MEPs because that is just a joke of a talking shop and a gravy train.
The various Prime Ministers and Presidents? We elected one of those.

Yes, there are people with power in the UK that weren't elected. The House of Lords is full of them, and I would support a move toward an elected body to replace them.
The various people in appointed positions of power were, at least, appointed by a government that we elected.

You haven't addressed the main thrust of my question btw, just attempted to sidestep it.

RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: May 22, 2016, 12:16:51 AM »

We are drip fed fear tactics from the remain side in the EU debate almost daily.

Osbourne is the latest.

The 18% drop in house price line really is scraping the fear barrel.

It would be good to have a decent debate without this bullshit.

A real shame that the different out groups couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: May 22, 2016, 10:18:54 AM »

This is extraordinary. Leave has a 37% lead with those educated to 17. Remain a 33% lead with those educated to 20+.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: May 22, 2016, 10:19:33 AM »

they are thinking it might be all over..

My eyes are open wide
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: May 22, 2016, 02:15:41 PM »

We are drip fed fear tactics from the remain side in the EU debate almost daily.

Osbourne is the latest.

A real shame that the different out groups couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

And the out campaign tell blatant lies

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/penny-mordaunt-andrew-marr-uk-veto-tory-minister-accused-of-flat-out-lying-over-turkey-joining-the-a7041956.html

She should be sacked.
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: May 22, 2016, 02:57:43 PM »

Osbourne is the latest.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/penny-mordaunt-andrew-marr-uk-veto-tory-minister-accused-of-flat-out-lying-over-turkey-joining-the-a7041956.html

She should be sacked.

Cameron himself has now slapped her down, on telly, within a couple of hours, with no caveats. His own Minister. This is the second time she has majorly crossed swords with him in a few weeks, on top of the various weird things she has done in the past. I wouldn't fancy her chances of surviving the next reshuffle.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: May 22, 2016, 06:47:33 PM »

Osbourne is the latest.

She should be sacked.

I think both sides have run very poor, constantly negative campaigns. Remain are well organised but the playing on the fear factor constantly instead of the benefits are grating.

The out campaign may have lied but then the line that house prices will drop 18% because of Brexit is hardly based on any "fact". Its total nonsense and Osborne knows it. Disingenuous at best.

It would be good to see the positive arguments for staying and going. Instead we see constant negative tactics.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: May 23, 2016, 01:27:51 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

Treasury analysis shows "shock" and "severe shock" impact on jobs under Brexit: unemployment up 520,000 to 820,000

My eyes are open wide
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 167 168 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: