blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:03:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272686 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16948 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  You are the Secretary of State for Education
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: You are the Secretary of State for Education  (Read 11346 times)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2015, 08:20:23 AM »

Congratulations!

In the latest round of reorganisation, you have been given the nod from Mr Cameron that you are to be in charge of education in the UK.

You are given a brief that you can make as many suggestions as you like about how education should be run, changed and improved. These changes will all be considered on their merits and discussed at Cabinet.

However, you get one free change; one thing that, whatever it is, provided it is within your department, will be nodded through by your bosses and will be your legacy.

Will you replace the national curriculum with a different model? Will you get rid of maths? No Shakespeare? Would you get people more involved in learning trades in secondary schools? Smaller class sizes?

How about teaching A-Level age students about gambling? Not just the dangers but the maths: how bookies make money, how algorithms work and how you can look for ways to win. Would this be useful to the next generation, given how popular and easy "flick-in-cash-out" mobile gambling is nowadays?

Over to you.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 08:31:47 AM by Tal » Logged

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:21:14 AM »

I'd make school dinners free and actually healthy.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 09:22:31 AM »

Stop fining parents for taking their kids on holiday or on a special day trip. They learn more than they would in school anyway, and surely the odd week off can't affect that education that much.

The older I get, the better I was.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 09:24:51 AM »

They get that already at my daughter's school, so think you mean extend the scheme.  They currently get them up to year 3, but think the plan is to extend it to all primary schools. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 09:25:09 AM »

Stop fining parents for taking their kids on holiday or on a special day trip. They learn more than they would in school anyway, and surely the odd week off can't affect that education that much.

Actually changed my mind, I'd make it illegal for teachers to moan to their friends about holidays.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 09:26:54 AM »

They get that already at my daughter's school, so think you mean extend the scheme.  They currently get them up to year 3, but think the plan is to extend it to all primary schools. 

Yep extend it then, great that your daughter gets that. IMO healthy eating (and exercise) are one those butterfly effect things that will profoundly impact a child's life.

Love this fella for that reason

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 09:29:43 AM »

Yep extend it then, great that your daughter gets that. IMO healthy eating (and exercise) are one those butterfly effect things that will profoundly impact a child's life.

Love this fella for that reason

I'm sure it'd be very popular with middle class voters - but wouldn't it be hard to justify the cost? Especially given that if (older) pupils want to eat chips - they'll eat chips.

And shouldn't educational reform be a bit more about ... education?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 09:35:54 AM »

Actually changed my mind, I'd make it illegal for teachers to moan to their friends about holidays.

yup. that'll do it.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 09:37:49 AM »

I'd have smaller classes and make them streamed by abillity.  However, I'd have promotion/relegation to/from streams at the end of each year.  I'd also have a "Conference North Division" for pupils who have no interest whatsoever in being educated.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 09:41:40 AM »

I'd have smaller classes and make them streamed by abillity.  However, I'd have promotion/relegation to/from streams at the end of each year.  I'd also have a "Conference North Division" for pupils who have no interest whatsoever in being educated.

Don't you have to teach people the value of education?  Smiley

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 09:43:26 AM »

Streaming or setting (by subject)?

People who are good at Maths might be awful at English (for example);

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 09:46:30 AM »

Streaming or setting (by subject)?

People who are good at Maths might be awful at English (for example);

Oh no they isn't.

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 09:47:03 AM »

I'd like it to be by subject if that isn't too much administrative work.  My aim would be to create a dynamic environment, where going down a stream isn't seen as a negative, just a time to regroup, take things at a slower pace and focus on a promotion campaign the next year.  The lower streams would still do the same syllabus, but spend a bit more time on the solid basics than the top end stuff.  You're still in the game, just less likely to get 90%+ that particular year.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 09:48:27 AM »

This has benefits for morale as well - pupils won't think "I'm in the lower stream fullstop this year", but might intead be thinking "I'm in the top stream for maths, but need to work harder on my history".
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 09:54:12 AM »

i'd make coding mandatory from primary school up to 18.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: