blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 06:27:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272673 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: Aledkanny
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Live Tournament Updates
| | |-+  WPT $25,000 Final: Day 5 - At A Glance
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WPT $25,000 Final: Day 5 - At A Glance  (Read 12154 times)
Djinn

I'm much bigger in real life

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2007, 04:18:22 AM »

ACTION AGAIN...

Kirk Morrison raises to 275k preflop, called by Guy Laliberte.  Flop:  .  Kirk just moves all in straight away, and Guy calls...
Kirs shows: 
Guy shows: 

Turn: 
River:    And a huge "Aahhh" goes up from the crowd - they are WAY more disappointed in the split pot than they would have been at either of the players getting felted...

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2007, 05:05:41 AM »

Thomas Wahlroos has doubled through in dramatic circumstances, raising to 250k, before pushing all-in following Scott Fischman's 775k re-raise.

Fischman called instantly, as you would with Aces, and rubbed his hands in glee (not literally) as Thomas meekly revealed his now paltry Pocket Queens.

With a two hearts Flop, things were looking bleak for the Fin and he looked emphatically pissed off, but on the Turn, he perked up a little as he now had a spade flush draw with one of his Queens, and perhaps had fond memories of his crucial Kings vs. Kings win earlier on in the tournament.

Of course, the River duly obliged with the , and Wahlroos slowly punched the air in an odd combination of elation and relief.

Fischman meanwhile, now down to around 1.5 million, took it in his stride, although deep down he must have been in a fit of rage.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 05:07:33 AM by snoopy1239 » Logged
Djinn

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2007, 05:08:26 AM »

Some hands to report:

Scott Fischman gets in a three-way limped pot, checking it down with Paul Lee and Thien Phan until the river ( ) when he bet and took it down...

...then limps again preflop along with button Kirk Morrison both blinds - they all see .  Someone must like that...
Scott bets 150k when the blinds check to him and button Kirk alone calls.
Turn:  two hearts  Scott checks, Kirk checks
River:    Check-check and all along the line it appears Fischman's flopped set of Jacks were good.

Then Paul Lee made it 200k to go pre-flop, called by Kirk and big blind Carlos.
Flop:    Carlos checked, Paul bet and they both called.
Turn:  Two Diamonds  Carlos checked, Paul bet a million.  Kirk called all-in pretty quickly (he had 728k of it), and Carlos instacalled the mil too!  Side pot...
River:    check from the two remaining players with chips in front of them...

First- the side pot went to Carlos' , but the big main pot went to Kirk Morrison's flopped flush...

Djinn

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2007, 05:18:24 AM »

Chip Counts after the break (the players have voted against having a dinner break, amazingly)...

Kirk Morrison -- 3,634,000
Thomas Wahlroos -- 3,296,000
Guy Laliberte -- 3,260,000
Carlos Mortensen -- 7,226,000
Mike Wattel -- 2,832,000
Scott Fischman -- 1,992,000
Paul Lee -- 7,761,000
Tim Pham -- 1,361,000

Djinn

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2007, 05:25:26 AM »

Mike Wattel raises to 350k preflop (the blinds are now a hefty 60k/120k ante 15k)....Tim Phan calls.
Tim moves in on the two spades flop.  Now, possibly thinking that this was the Phan plan whatever flop came out, Mike calls the 981k all-in bet.
Tim shows:
Mike shows: 
The turn and river fail to outdraw the Jacks with the bigger kicker, so Tim Phan doubles through. 

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2007, 06:18:43 AM »

And with just 781,000, Mike Wattel moves in from the small blind, a move which puts Scott Fischman in a tricky decision. However, he shrugs his shoulders and says, "Okay then, let's go", before turning over a vulnerable Pocket Deuces.

"I've only looked at one card," confesses Mike as he reveal Q-5o (I assume he meant the Queen).

So...

Fischman = Two Clubs Two Diamonds

Wattel --

Board =

Double up for Wattel.
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2007, 06:21:09 AM »

Kirk Morrison -- 2,000,000
Thomas Wahlroos -- 4,000,000
Guy Lalibette -- 3,800,000
Carlos Mortensen -- 7,300,000
Mike Wattel -- 1,600,000
Scott Fischman -- 1,100,000
Paul Lee -- 8,000,000
Tim Phan -- 3,000,000
Djinn

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2007, 06:46:26 AM »

You wouldn't think players would be checking the clock nervously with 90 minute blinds, but the average length of a hand at the moment is about 15 minutes...

Kirk wins the dwell prize for this one (admittedly, genuine decision):  it folds round to him on the small blind - he makes it 600k at Thomas Wahlroos, who calls.  The flop comes .  Both players check.  Turn card:    Kirk checks, and Thomas moves in.  A dwell so lengthy that two players get up and make phone calls commences, and results in a pass which leaves Kirk short stacked.

The next hand, Paul Lee called Carlos' raise to 350k preflop, only to find Kirk pushing all in for 859k.  Carlos folds, but Paul calls with his .  Kirk has (the exact same hand he had in that one with Wahlroos, apparently).
The board comes totally spadeless and Aceless, and although the 2-3-9-4 on the turn brought a few more outs for Lee, the Jack river cemented his double through.

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2007, 06:55:12 AM »

Scott Fischman is OUT in 8th place.

Kirk Morrison raised it up to 425k, Scott Fischman pushed for around 1.5 million.

The break commenced, all the players left leaving two lone soldiers battling it out on the battlefield of poker.

With his teeth grit, Kirk Morrison made a brave call with , a move that was justified when Fischman turned over his surprisingly dominated .

A Flop of two spades looked no good, but Scott's eye's lit up on the Turn (although a clearly tired Tournament Director announced a King - how does a Six look like a King!), but was also watching out for the fourth diamond which would supply Morrison with a flush.

Scott walks away from the table and listens out for the celebrations (although rather muted out of respect) of Morrison.

River =

Down to 7.
Djinn

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2007, 07:22:37 AM »

I don't know how to break this to you...so I'll just tell the story, my soon-to-be-sad Europeans still up at this hour.

Mike Wattel raised preflop to 420k, flat called by Paul Lee.*  It got round to Thomas Wahlroos in the big blind, who just shoved.  All in.  For 4.4 mil.  Mike got out of the way quickly, but Paul Lee called - a hush fell over the audience.
Paul Lee showed
Thomas Wahlroos showed
Flop:  two spades  We wonder - will another flush propel the risky Finn to the chip lead?
Turn:  Two Diamonds
River:

Suddenly, it's all over - Thomas Wahlroos finishes in 7th place for $278,465

*Rumour has it, Paul Lee told the Gutshot that he'd been doing this 'tell' for a good long while.  When he had rubbish or marginal calling hands he'd place his cards on one side, passing every time to a re-raise.  When he had strong hands he was ready to call/ re-raise with the cards went elsewhere.  He said that this time, the cards went in the 'filth' position but he was ready to call a squeezy raise from Wahlroos.  The call with A-Q seems pretty brave but he'd already decided to go for it. 

No idea whether this is likely to have had any effect at all (we're not actually sat at the table) but it's a good story.

Djinn

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2007, 07:36:11 AM »

End of Day - Final Table - Chip Counts:

Paul Lee 11,828,000
Juan Carlos Mortensen -- 6,501,000
Guy Laliburte -- 4,690,000
Kirk Morrison -- 4,194,000
Mike Wattel -- 2,887,000
Tim Phan -- 2,162,000

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print