blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 10:03:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272669 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: Aledkanny
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3330 3331 3332 3333 [3334] 3335 3336 3337 3338 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6347726 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #49995 on: July 01, 2017, 06:47:55 PM »

Tipping.

I don't think we should be obliged to tip after poker binks. Bus & train drivers who do their (very responsible) job well don't get tipped, nor do fireman, policemen or nurses - why should we tip poker dealers?

But the thing is, we are generally pleased, happy or even ecstatic, & we have a handful of folding wedge, so our defences are down & they generally get something

They were very clever yesterday. Three of us sat at the table, signing for our money, which was paid in chips which included plenty of different denoms.  

And in the middle of the table was a sort of square, Perspex, transparent "tip box", within which was several hundred dollars in a variety of denoms. They did everything except hold it under our noses & shake the box.

I decided against tipping, no way. But then, like a big soft sod, I yielded. So as I departed, having shaken hands with the other 2 players & said goodnight to all, I quickly & casually tossed 5 x $5 chips into the box, but I "splashed the pot" so they had no idea if I tipped $1 or $100.  

If I was half a man I would have told them where to stick their tip box, but as I said earlier, psychologically they catch you at EXACTLY the right moment, when the adrenalin is pumping, such as it can in my case.  

What was the juice?

17.8% officially, but I made it 21.7%. Yikes. I've seen far worse Downtown, but it's still eye watering.

From Binions site;

Tournament Withholds:

$125 - 20%

$365 - 17.8%

$475 - 15.8%

$585 - 14.5%

$850 - 13.5%.

So yesterday was $300 + $65, which, in my book is actually 21.7%, not 17.8%.

21.7%, jeez.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 07:01:56 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Knottikay

View Profile
« Reply #49996 on: July 01, 2017, 07:01:08 PM »

Yeah...no bad. Could do better. Now go and win something big.....like this next one. GL Wink

Life has no rebuy options
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #49997 on: July 01, 2017, 07:53:59 PM »

The Deal

It was ICM.

I don't recall the exact numbers, but, roughly;

2.28 million chips in play.

Chippie had (approx.) 1.7 milly.

Other Bloke had 320,000

I had 260,000 (I lost the last hand, 60,000 or so, to the other shortie which proved crucial. If I win that HE is the shortie).

This was what was left to play for:

$7,245

$4,475

$2,930

I had decided in advance that if I got in this spot I would not entertain a deal. We'd gamble & go for the win.

There had not been a single mention of a Deal, then Chippie busted TWO in one hand to get us 3 handed. (He got it in with QQ v KK v AA & rivered a straight).

3 handed, off we went. Suddenly one of them says "let's look at doing business" which caught me a bit off guard. They both seemed keen, too. Both guys were fun guys, warm & friendly, & we'd not heard a sour word all day.

And here's the truth. It was 1am, & I had left the Hotel at 10am, & been playing 14 hours straight. And I had forgotten to bring my medication with me, which I have to take at set times. And I was just so tired.

They caught me at a bad moment I guess. I'm not complaining though. I might have thrown away $4,000, but it's more likely I gained $1,000.

I should have played on really, I know that. Age takes it's toll though. I've had an awful lot of long days & two dayers, & I find it quite wearing tbh. I also promised Gill, who worries a lot, that I would not over exert myself.

Annnnyyyway.....

That's 4 cashes now, same as last year, & we have a few games left.

I've not totted it up, but we are not losing much I don't think - we have almost $9,000 of cashes so far. Probably spent a little more than that, but not much. So whatever happens, Stakers will get most of their money back, at worst. And that is a right result.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #49998 on: July 01, 2017, 07:55:01 PM »

Will you be playing the Satt for WSOP £10k

The $10k PLO?

No, too late.

The night it ran I was grinding my way to a min cash at Nugget. 

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #49999 on: July 01, 2017, 07:56:34 PM »

Well done on the result Tony.  I know you historically never got actively involved in deal discussions.  But any time the deal being offered is close to "you guys chop 2nd and 3rd and I'll take the win" it is clearly a bad deal.  Effectively the winner got a fairly cheap insurance policy here on not suffering a couple of outdraws.

The deal was ICM?  I never propose deals, but after 16 hours play if someone proposes ICM and I am struggling to keep my eyes open it is pretty hard to say no.   Fairly sure Tony is going to be on his last legs too.

That, really, sums it up perfectly.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50000 on: July 01, 2017, 07:59:19 PM »

Great result tikay you must be over the moon.  Those updates read like the end of that tournament was pretty fast paced.

Question though, do all tournaments these days end with deals being done?  I hardly seem to see any being played out to the final chip, even when they do some deal has been arranged before hand.

Not complaining mind, cash out > buy in = win

Hi Aaron.

I'm not keen on plucking figures out of the air, & I rarely play Live Poker these days, except for 6 weeks every year in Vegas. I've played a good few in the UK over the course of 15 years though, & made hundreds of (little) Finals.

I'd set the line at 75% or more end in business. In fact, I'd bet good money the figure is higher than that.

Anyone else want to pluck a figure out of the air?

PS - how is LEO? (See, I got there eventually. Sorry about that).

I have the same problem with Phil Quayle's son - I get confused EVERY time between Conor & Connor. I know his wife's name - Lois, & his daughters name - Caitlin, but buggered if I can ever remember if it is Conor or Connor. (It's Conor I think, same as the ill-fated horse).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 08:02:28 PM by tikay » Logged

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50001 on: July 01, 2017, 08:20:06 PM »

Great updates as usual Tony.

Thought process on doing the deal ?

Personally , unless it was a huge amount , I would want to go for the win.

Looking back at Deauville EPT side event 2004 ? , I got pressured into a deal by Willie Tann.

Can't remember doing a deal since.( not had much chance though mind  Sad   )

The thrill of the win must surely outweigh a few hundred $$$$$ ?

Especially a man of your means , and age  Grin

The thread has been warm & friendly - even Trevor has been cheerful - was there any need for that last comment?

Outrageous, really.

So I'll reply in kind, & I expect an answer.

First up, here's that event in Deauville. Worth clicking the link just to see some of those blasts from the past. Like, you.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/event.php?a=r&n=9121

So my question is - & I've answered all the questions, so you have to answer this one - what happened to that money you won in Deauville?

Roll Eyes

In case you have forgotten, here's a memory jogger for you.

No need to thank me.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 08:35:14 PM by tikay » Logged

tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #50002 on: July 01, 2017, 08:29:31 PM »

Great stiff tikay we popped in to binions when there were 18 left but you were concentrating
We had a day at the downtown grand pool deck very noisy very sunny great day ,
I deceided not to wear my hat as after 2 weeks here I must be used to the sun right ?
Wrong my head is as red as the reddest red thing you can name and as itchy as a dog with fleas - lol
Factor 30 today !
We were supposed to go to the Rio but as my interest in playing is waning and if was £500 for our last 5/6 nights I cancelled n got that refunded
We've gone to south point 3 nights comped other 2 nights $57 plus resort fee down from $21 to $14 maybe even free if the mrs hits the slots
Money wise I'm just below starting stack from our arrival 2 weeks ago so it's been a very good Vegas so far !!!
VBOL today mate great to have seen you n doobs in action
Newportlad

View Profile
« Reply #50003 on: July 01, 2017, 08:32:18 PM »

Just caught up with this after an early morning start for golf at Tenby.

Excellent result Tikay. Really pleased for you.
bookiebasher

View Profile
« Reply #50004 on: July 01, 2017, 08:38:49 PM »

Looking back at Deauville EPT side event 2004 ? , I got pressured into a deal by Willie Tann.

Especially a man of your means , and age  Grin

The thread has been warm & friendly - even Trevor has been cheerful - was there any need for that last comment?

Outrageous, really.

First up, here's that event in Deauville. Worth clicking the link just to see some of those blasts from the past. Like, you.

So my question is - & I've answered all the questions, so you have to answer this one - what happened to that money you won in Deauville?

Roll Eyes

Well it wasn't the full amount for 1st , around €22000 after the deal . Went home and it went all in a brown envelope behind my daughters wardrobe . A couple of years later she rearranged the furniture and I asked her where the envelope was.

"What envelope" came the reply. A few days later after turning the place upside down I offered a reward of €100 to either my daughter , aged 12 I believe , or my son , aged 16 , to come up with the goods.

15 mins later he was in proud possession of a €100 note.  

If I remember correctly , the train journey was one you will never forget  Wink
animalpoker

View Profile
« Reply #50005 on: July 01, 2017, 08:55:14 PM »

The Deal

It was ICM.

I don't recall the exact numbers, but, roughly;

2.28 million chips in play.

Chippie had (approx.) 1.7 milly.

Other Bloke had 320,000

I had 260,000 (I lost the last hand, 60,000 or so, to the other shortie which proved crucial. If I win that HE is the shortie).

This was what was left to play for:

$7,245

$4,475

$2,930

I had decided in advance that if I got in this spot I would not entertain a deal. We'd gamble & go for the win.

There had not been a single mention of a Deal, then Chippie busted TWO in one hand to get us 3 handed. (He got it in with QQ v KK v AA & rivered a straight).

3 handed, off we went. Suddenly one of them says "let's look at doing business" which caught me a bit off guard. They both seemed keen, too. Both guys were fun guys, warm & friendly, & we'd not heard a sour word all day.

And here's the truth. It was 1am, & I had left the Hotel at 10am, & been playing 14 hours straight. And I had forgotten to bring my medication with me, which I have to take at set times. And I was just so tired.

They caught me at a bad moment I guess. I'm not complaining though. I might have thrown away $4,000, but it's more likely I gained $1,000.

I should have played on really, I know that. Age takes it's toll though. I've had an awful lot of long days & two dayers, & I find it quite wearing tbh. I also promised Gill, who worries a lot, that I would not over exert myself.

Annnnyyyway.....

That's 4 cashes now, same as last year, & we have a few games left.

I've not totted it up, but we are not losing much I don't think - we have almost $9,000 of cashes so far. Probably spent a little more than that, but not much. So whatever happens, Stakers will get most of their money back, at worst. And that is a right result.

Sounds like a decent fair deal given the situation and circumstances - sorry I wasn't trying to infer it would be a bad one , was just more interested in it all.  Funny enough last time I dealt I was short stack of 6/7/8 may be at v a few years back and took me ages to decide on it and get an extra bit off big stack as I wanted to be 100% sure I wouldn't regret it when I got home.   Was similar thing where I was exhausted.  If there's any peer pressure I usually go into auto no deal mode but sounds like there wasn't any of that for you this time .   Writing this reminds me of the pay the bubble saver which I didn't see this year, that always makes me laugh . 

Lol at the box on table for tips .   Sounds like you are similar to me with the thought process .  Would like to think I wouldn't have tipped just because of the tip box being right in front of me but I'm sure I would have succumb to a similar amount too !

Gl today , look forward to reading it all middle of night if jet lag continues though hopeful I'm
nearly on top of that today Smiley
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #50006 on: July 01, 2017, 08:59:38 PM »

Will you be playing the Satt for WSOP £10k

The $10k PLO?

No, too late.

The night it ran I was grinding my way to a min cash at Nugget. 

Yup i meant PLO
typhoon13

View Profile
« Reply #50007 on: July 01, 2017, 09:09:51 PM »

Especially a man of your means , and age  Grin

Outrageous, really.

Roll Eyes

Well it wasn't the full amount for 1st , around €22000 after the deal . Went home and it went all in a brown envelope behind my daughters wardrobe . A couple of years later she rearranged the furniture and I asked her where the envelope was.

"What envelope" came the reply. A few days later after turning the place upside down I offered a reward of €100 to either my daughter , aged 12 I believe , or my son , aged 16 , to come up with the goods.

15 mins later he was in proud possession of a €100 note.  

If I remember correctly , the train journey was one you will never forget  Wink

€100  tight bastard

I would of kept your envelope
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50008 on: July 01, 2017, 09:30:28 PM »

Just read this. Great work Teeks.

Cymru am byth
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #50009 on: July 01, 2017, 10:31:30 PM »

Great stuff, Tikay.

Very well played!

Is it any coincidence I was on the strip all evening, so I could watch Jim Jefferies?

Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 3330 3331 3332 3333 [3334] 3335 3336 3337 3338 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: