blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:42:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272687 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16948 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  2013/14 Ashes thread
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2013/14 Ashes thread  (Read 73036 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: November 25, 2013, 05:19:07 PM »

I think we will come back strong but need to drop tremlett I think there batting is more fragile than ours despite our pathetic effort in last test

why?

Finn goes at over 4 an over and Rankin has no experience.

Tremlett played the role of third seamer well at Brisbane, went at 2.5 an over, took 4 wickets

After his injuries he is not going to blast teams out, and clearly we were outgunned by their pace, but will certainly help Cook maintain control on flat wickets

The possibility of Stokes at 6 as third seamer/batsman and Panesar as a second spinner and dropping Tremlett is a possibility for Adelaide and Sydney.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 25, 2013, 05:27:57 PM »

Will Root go to three to replace Trott?  Or will Bell be moved up do we think?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 25, 2013, 05:33:53 PM »

Root I would think

Could be either though

Number 6 is a tough call. Could be Bairstow but he struggled against the short stuff on our pitches, and would be tested again

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 25, 2013, 06:16:48 PM »

I think we will come back strong but need to drop tremlett I think there batting is more fragile than ours despite our pathetic effort in last test

why?

Finn goes at over 4 an over and Rankin has no experience.

Tremlett played the role of third seamer well at Brisbane, went at 2.5 an over, took 4 wickets

After his injuries he is not going to blast teams out, and clearly we were outgunned by their pace, but will certainly help Cook maintain control on flat wickets

The possibility of Stokes at 6 as third seamer/batsman and Panesar as a second spinner and dropping Tremlett is a possibility for Adelaide and Sydney.

No reason to drop Tremlett at all, did everything that was expected. Plus with games he will get quicker and has experience in Aus.
Anderson on the other hand does need to step up. He's the senior bowler and needs to perform.
It will never happen but I would drop Swann, he is completely ineffective and the Aus defo have his number, his batting doesn't keep him in either atm.

Bresnan will get rushed back as soon as he is fit, gives the batting depth and wont batter an eyelid at the sledging
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: November 25, 2013, 08:06:42 PM »

It will never happen but I would drop Swann, he is completely ineffective and the Aus defo have his number, his batting doesn't keep him in either atm.

Where 'have his number' means 'picking right-handed batsmen'.
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 25, 2013, 10:17:26 PM »

Bresnan if fit?
gouty

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 25, 2013, 11:09:10 PM »

That was a pretty big pasting. If they come back strong then fair play but I can't see it myself. I saw 4/6 Aussies to win series which seems pretty big and a good trading opportunity for big players as you will have plenty of chances to close a position.

Is that the "bounciest" track we just lost on? Terrible term I know. And we have a drop in pitch to come too. They will have choice of about 4 I expect. They are probably out measuring out 22 yards of airport runway now.

I grew up on Gower Smith and Lamb days where good fast bowling could wipe out great players. And we only have one great batsman who is a bit fidgety to start with. Too much pressure on Cook KP and Bell for me. Lump on. You need to check which test has the pitch that Johnson might not even play.

Good stuff though. I love all the sledging n bull too. This and Ryder Cup are my two favourite sports events by far. Come on England.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 25, 2013, 11:16:53 PM »

Perth is similar to Brisbane IIRC

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 26, 2013, 12:22:14 AM »

What you doing commenting on sport? Thought you were into dancing and knitting and girls stuff lol 
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 26, 2013, 12:42:10 AM »

What you doing commenting on sport? Thought you were into dancing and knitting and girls stuff lol 

Everything in moderation, dahhhhling.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
gherkin

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 26, 2013, 01:15:53 AM »

Root I would think

Could be either though

Number 6 is a tough call. Could be Bairstow but he struggled against the short stuff on our pitches, and would be tested again

Bell has batted at 3 for Warwickshire for years (Trott used to open).  To not give him the number 3 slot would be pretty disheartening for him given the number of times he has made it clear he'd rather be batting up the order but he's "happy doing a job for the team" down the order.

Only problem I guess is if they want to keep the 2 youngsters apart and not have them at 5 and 6.  With Pieterson at 4 and Prior at 7 I don't see it being a problem.
mondatoo

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 26, 2013, 01:41:32 AM »

I still believe we will win The Ashes.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 26, 2013, 09:29:50 AM »

Observation on the cricket spreads - I was expected Bell and Root to have decent boosts to their quotes due to them now batting one further up the order (at least) but this doesn't seem to have been reflected in the new prices.

Is this a rick, or do we think that they have had a boost, but it has been counteracted by the fact that the Aussie bowling looks a greater threat than anticicpated?

vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 26, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »

Root I would think

Could be either though

Bell has batted at 3 for Warwickshire for years (Trott used to open).  To not give him the number 3 slot would be pretty disheartening for him given the number of times he has made it clear he'd rather be batting up the order but he's "happy doing a job for the team" down the order.

Only problem I guess is if they want to keep the 2 youngsters apart and not have them at 5 and 6.  With Pieterson at 4 and Prior at 7 I don't see it being a problem.

I would keep Bell at 5. Middle order will be too exposed otherwise for the newbies. Prior is currently a liability with the bat and can't be relied on to hang around
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #449 on: November 26, 2013, 12:44:42 PM »

Shows how far we've fallen - we used to have an embarrassment of riches in batting, and it was a question of which decent player to leave out, now we're trying to hide kids where we think the Aussies won't see them.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 ... 49 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: