blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 01:04:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272657 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3369 3370 3371 3372 [3373] 3374 3375 3376 3377 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6343918 times)
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #50580 on: October 02, 2017, 07:24:17 PM »

I wonder how much of the £51 outlay was profit for the now extinct Monarch Airlines? I imagine the fuel costs alone would take a large bite, let alone the costs of the flight deck, cabin crew and all the Landside checkin & security and departure gate fixed overheads. Oh yes, and the small matter of airport departure taxes.

The 5th biggest airline in the country has paid the price, so there's one less choice for all the bargain basement price hunters out there. Good thing Ryanair are still operating, and complying with CAA regulations when forced to. And they can do the same round trip for £33, so it turns out that those bastards at Monarch were ripping people off so good riddance to them. Anyway, I'm alright, Jack.

Are you having a dig at me because I'm pleased I could find an alternative flight, from a suitable airport at a convenient time, just 10 days before departure?

Best Bitter.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #50581 on: October 02, 2017, 08:23:01 PM »

I only flew with them once, and found it to be pretty good all around.

Bit more expensive than old O'Leary's mob, but better flight times.

engy

View Profile
« Reply #50582 on: October 02, 2017, 08:35:39 PM »

I was booked on that exact same flight for Malaga with Monarch and have also switched to the Newcastle flight. When I first started booking the flights were 42 quid but as soon as I got to pay I got spinning clock then sorry problem booking flight. 3 times it happened until it went up to 79 quid a flight Sad
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #50583 on: October 03, 2017, 01:34:54 AM »

I wonder how much of the £51 outlay was profit for the now extinct Monarch Airlines? I imagine the fuel costs alone would take a large bite, let alone the costs of the flight deck, cabin crew and all the Landside checkin & security and departure gate fixed overheads. Oh yes, and the small matter of airport departure taxes.

The 5th biggest airline in the country has paid the price, so there's one less choice for all the bargain basement price hunters out there. Good thing Ryanair are still operating, and complying with CAA regulations when forced to. And they can do the same round trip for £33, so it turns out that those bastards at Monarch were ripping people off so good riddance to them. Anyway, I'm alright, Jack.

Are you having a dig at me because I'm pleased I could find an alternative flight, from a suitable airport at a convenient time, just 10 days before departure?

No, it's great that you've found a solution to your travel plans. I'm just conscious that there's thousands of former Monarch employees who are now wondering where they're going to get another job - all because their management felt that they had no alternative but to offer fares at prices with wafer thin profit margins.

Perhaps I was being unnecessarily grumpy, but I don't think the airline industry story is going to end well. Air Berlin, Monarch.. who next?
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #50584 on: October 03, 2017, 10:51:05 AM »

No, it's great that you've found a solution to your travel plans. I'm just conscious that there's thousands of former Monarch employees who are now wondering where they're going to get another job - all because their management felt that they had no alternative but to offer fares at prices with wafer thin profit margins.

Perhaps I was being unnecessarily grumpy, but I don't think the airline industry story is going to end well. Air Berlin, Monarch.. who next?

I think it goes without saying that its a pretty shit situation for all involved (apart from the big cheeses who probably walk away with pockets lined). As I said in a previous post, I've flown with Monarch quite a few times and always found them to be one of the better low cost airlines, so naturally I feel very sorry for all the staff who are suddenly finding themselves out of work. I also feel sorry for customers who have had their holiday plans thrown into chaos by the company going under.

There are no winners when things like this happen.

Looks like Monarch were somewhat shafted by circumstances beyond their control. After withdrawing long haul routes to focus on short haul product, 3 key countries when tits up (Egypt, Tunisia, Turkey), putting them in direct competition with all the other LCCs for flights to Spain/Portugal etc and Brexit and the collapse of the £ pretty much sealed their fate from what I've read.

Best Bitter.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50585 on: October 07, 2017, 10:58:26 AM »

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50586 on: October 07, 2017, 10:59:41 AM »

Name that station.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #50587 on: October 07, 2017, 11:06:59 AM »

Ameersfort?
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50588 on: October 07, 2017, 11:29:59 AM »

Name that station.

That's it. I'm ringing you up. The only thing that's holding me back is I can't talk you through how to use an app on the phone while you're on the phone.

I bet you didn't even download that app did you?

The older I get, the better I was.
The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #50589 on: October 07, 2017, 01:07:39 PM »

Hmmm. My first ever taste of Egg Benedict was off your plate at DTD.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50590 on: October 07, 2017, 01:33:04 PM »

See. You can't quote his pictures because although he gives us all that pony about work ethic and dedication etc, he's too lazy to spend five minutes learning how to post them properly.

The older I get, the better I was.
The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #50591 on: October 07, 2017, 04:18:12 PM »

See. You can't quote his pictures because although he gives us all that pony about work ethic and dedication etc, he's too lazy to spend five minutes learning how to post them properly.

It's because he has a woman now.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50592 on: October 10, 2017, 11:06:04 AM »

Ameersfort?

From the deluge of answers, you were easily the nearest, & you had the right country.

We were in Amsterdam for the day, & took a train ride up to a place called Alkmaar. Alkmaar has a famous (?) Cheese Market, & Gill was keen to see it, so off we trotted. The Cheese Market is open every Friday. We went on Saturday. Soon back in Amsterdam, we did a Canal Trip, & all the usual tourist stuff.

We chose Amsterdam as the flights from Heathrow on KLM were so cheap. About £90 outbound, including £50 for all the various Airport Taxes, Fuel Surcharges & whatnot. And the return fare, including all taxes & surcharges? £8. Go figure.   

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50593 on: October 10, 2017, 11:08:39 AM »

Name that station.

That's it. I'm ringing you up. The only thing that's holding me back is I can't talk you through how to use an app on the phone while you're on the phone.

I bet you didn't even download that app did you?

Yes, I did. Well, actually, not exactly, no.

I did make a brief attempt, but my eyes glazed over, Using a Smartphone to do stuff is so fiddly, especially for those of us with fat fingers.

I'll try again soon.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50594 on: October 10, 2017, 11:09:16 AM »

Guilty as charged.

Pages: 1 ... 3369 3370 3371 3372 [3373] 3374 3375 3376 3377 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: