blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 09:21:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272686 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16947 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  PGA golf - AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PGA golf - AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am  (Read 1034 times)
matt674

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2006, 11:18:28 AM »

Having discovered poker i've found my need to gamble on other things has virtually all but disappeared but every now and again i will venture into the world of the USPGA, mainly because when putting on a bet it lasts for a whole 4 days (hopefully!) and also because there is usually a bit of value to be had with there always being such large fields. Also on a sunday night as i'm sitting down for the big one on Pokerstars there's usually f**k all on the tv and therefore i'll have the golf on as a bit of background noise - having a bet on it just makes it a bit more watchable!!  Cheesy

It appears as though a lot of people on the site like a flutter on all kinds of different sports so if there is anyone out there wanting a bet on this weeks US golf action then my tips are as follows:

Phil Mickleson:           5pts e/w        Best Price: 11/2  (VictorChandler)                                         Price taken: 6/1 ()
Joe Ogilvie:               2pts e/w        Best Price: 80/1   (BetDirect, SJames, Bet365 & VC)                Price taken: 100/1 (BD)
Jose Maria Olazabal:  2pts e/w        Best Price: 40/1   (Ladbrokes, VC, BetDirect & PaddyPower)    Price taken: 50/1 (Lad)
Arjun Atwal:             1pt e/w         Best Price: 80/1    (PaddyPower)                                           Price taken: 100/1 (Lad)

Now as it is only monday morning and the tournament does not begin until Thursday afternoon there wont be any prices available just yet. Usually they price up the markets at some point during today, the majority of the time one of the firms will price a player out of line with other firms and a bit of value can be had shopping around. I have accounts with 8 online bookies and will endeavour to give the best price i can find and will let you know where its available (though if anyone can get a better price then please let me know!! Wink)

Hopefully by this time next week i'll be counting lots of bananas profit (we have a different monitary system than you do). If not then i'll go back to playing poker and leave the tipping service to the experts!!  Cool

<MONDAY post edit comments: Well all of the firms have now priced up - I'll keep updating the best prices when they change just so people know where the value is - now its a case of waiting til thursday and crossing fingers Wink>

<well the 100/1 on Ogilvie didnt last long - didnt think it would when they put it up at 3.30. hopefully some of you managed to get on Smiley>

<TUESDAY post edit comments: Well it appears either lots of you are putting faith in my tips or other people are having the same ideas as me as Ladbrokes have slashed their overnight prices on Olazabal (50/1 into 40/1) and Atwal (100/1 into 66/1).>

<WEDNESDAY post edit comments: Arrived in work this morning to find that the best price about Mickleson has gone with StanJames bringing him in from 6/1 to 5/1 favourite. He is now 11/2 best price with VC with him being 5/1 or 9/2 everywhere else. BetDirect have also cut their prices on both Mickleson 5/1 into 9/2 fav and Atwal 66/1 into 50/1, better prices are still available elsewhere but maybe some firms have seen my post and they're not taking any chances!!  Cheesy>

<THURSDAY post edit comments: Well the morning of the tournament, its due to start about 4pm our time and the money continues to pour in for Arjun Atwal. Both Victor Chandler and Bet365 have cut him from a best price 80/1 into 66/1 but the price is still available with PaddyPower. The tee-times have been published with both Atwal and Olazabal playing their first round on the host course Pebble Beach (the tournament is played over 3 courses). Mickleson and Ogilive are actually paired together and will play the first three rounds together so hopefully they will both get off to good starts on the easiest of the three courses Poppy Hills.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 09:32:37 AM by matt674 » Logged

sponsored by Fyffes
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 12:00:05 PM »

Things with large fields can be great to bet on.  You can take the odds today and lay them off should they do half decent.

For example, on Betfair, Olazabal is currently available at 55.0.  Take a tenner on this, wait for him to lead after day 1 and lay off Smiley

matt674

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 12:17:46 PM »

unfortunately us monkeys are "all or nothing" merchants - granted i could take a price on betfair then lay it off after the first day for a slight profit but then my interest in the event is over and i have nothing to cheer the other 3 days. Plus then when he goes on to win by a street my 20 banana profit would have been 66 bananas profit if i'd have let the bet ride!!  Cheesy

The reasons behind my selections were as follows:

Phil Mickleson: Comes into this event as the defending champion, always plays well on the west coast and so far his figures for the year are T8, T5 and has just finished Tied 7th in last weeks tournament finishing with 5 birdies in 6 holes to finish with a late surge posting a 66. Always does well in pro-ams and if he hits it straight will be very hard to beat

Joe Ogilvie: Got off to a slow start but in his 3 tournaments so far has made the cut in all 3, his figures of T42, T30 and T12 last week show he is improving from week to week and his record is a good one in this tournament and managed to finish tied 16th last year.

Jose Marie Olazabal: In and Out performer who has come back into contention for titles the last year or so. Lost in a play-off in the Buick a few weeks back but then missed the cut in last weeks FBR open. Hopefully this week will be one of the good weeks. Finished Tied 16th in this event last year.

Arjun Atwal: Another player who got off to a steady start in 2006 with a T42, T24 and T4 to his credit before missing the cut in last weeks FBR open. led the USPGA in putting stats in 2005 so as this is a pro-am event the pin placements for the first 3 days will not be too challenging to allow easier access for the amateurs he should make a few birdies if the approach play is upto standard. Also finished Tied 16th in this event last year.

sponsored by Fyffes
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: