blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 02:06:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272653 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  AQ
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AQ  (Read 12157 times)
david3103

View Profile
AQ
« on: July 17, 2009, 10:18:07 AM »

This is such a beginners types question! But,

Where do we stand on AQ?

Top 10 hands?

I have a weak spot where this hand is concerned - it seems that whenever I hold it I lose; whenever I run into it, I lose.

I try to treat it as having it's statistical strength and will always raise with it from late position, but how about early / mid position
How do I handle a re-raise?

eg - £50FO at DTD last night.
Last hand of Level 7 300/600/50
When we come back it's 400/800/100

I have 9500 and raise to 1800 from MP with   - chip leader re-raises to 5,000. His stack has been up and down but he's accumulating now after a couple of big pots and has already shown a bluff/draw when he raised my flop bet and I folded earlier.

Is the raise ok? It feels right, but I wonder if I'm over-rating the hand.

As played, what do I do? - a fold now means I'm below 10BBs and have antes to cope with too.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 10:20:42 AM by david3103 » Logged

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 10:29:52 AM »

AQ is a tricky one and there's no simple way to answer your question. I read a good article on it a while back...will try dig that one out for you.

In short, unless there's been a limper infront of you maybe consider raising 2.5x the big blind. I know it's only .5 big blind difference but will give you a little more room to manoevre and you're losing less when reraised.

In a typical live scenario I'd tend to suggest when you open AQ (which I always do regardless of position) you're likely behind when being reraised but this is hugely player dependant. Internet kidz can 3-bet much less but Tikay will need two suited kings, minimum!

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 10:40:30 AM »

In this situation AQ is a fist pump shove.

Yo yo stack chip leader is obviously playing a lot of hands so his range includes far too many hands that we beat or race to pass here.

If you get a race you've got the right price already having already invested nearly 1/5th of your stack.

If you run in to AK you can bink. If you run in to QQ or KK you can bink. If he's got AA it's just meh.

I see this as a chance to double up not a potential place to get knocked out.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
StuartHopkin

Ocho cinco

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 10:44:48 AM »

Yo yo stack chip leader is obviously playing a lot of hands so his range includes far too many hands that we beat or race to pass here.

If you get a race you've got the right price already having already invested nearly 1/5th of your stack.

If you run in to AK you can bink. If you run in to QQ or KK you can bink. If he's got AA it's just meh.

Off topic, but still on the AQ theme, ABC player opens, I reraise with AQ, folds round, he shoves. Fck stack sizes you get the gist.

Only 23 days to go until the Berlin Marathon! Please sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving.com/StuartHopkin
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:32:39 PM »

No offence, but this can't be right because it's what I thought. Unless you'd open shove it?

Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 03:05:41 PM »

If you feel uncomfortable with decisons like this, just open shove pre with antes in play it is +ev.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 03:38:14 PM »

No offence, but this can't be right because it's what I thought. Unless you'd open shove it?

No it's right. You raise to 2.5 to 3 x bbs to induce a light shove from people like yo yo chip leader. You don't do it to pass assuming you must be behind.

Like Longy says if you don't like having to call a shove you are better off pushing yourself as you will usually win the blinds uncontested.

Problem there is that it's unlikely someone will call you with hands that you beat like KQ, AJ and A10. They also pass small pairs which although we're only 50 50 we need to be playing against to increase our stack.

Yo yo man can easily shove KQ, AJ and A10 following your raise thinking that if you call with a pair he's happy to take a race. He's also happy if you fold AQ or smaller pairs because he doesn't need the race.

He's less likely to call your shove with a worse hand because he knows that at best he's racing unless he thinks you shove very light.

So by raising to call a shove you even up the chances of having the winning hand or a race. By shoving first you remove many of the hands that you would've been racing with and most that you were beating. Yes, none of this makes a difference to the hand he's actually got but it's his range that you need to be interested in and you want to get your chips in against the widest range possible. By shoving you narrow that range significantly and are more likely to lose.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
salfi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 03:18:16 AM »

three factors. chip leader reraises, dtd 50 and i has aq
wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 01:31:39 PM »

Lol you cant be raise folding any hand here!

HI HELEN!
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 01:45:18 PM »

I knew that

my issue (which is in part results-orientated due to any number of bad times with AQ) was whether I was overplaying AQ generally.

How excited should it make us?

salfi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 02:37:35 PM »

poker stove it. deffo plus cev maybe if theres any icm considerations with rediculosuly short stacks and a funny dynamic of final payout(satterlite) otherwise this is always a fist pump spot.  just sigh then  go wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ar in .
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 02:38:45 PM »

I knew that

my issue (which is in part results-orientated due to any number of bad times with AQ) was whether I was overplaying AQ generally.

So now you are arguing you should be open folding AQs with 15 bigs, soon to be 10 bigs ?

HI HELEN!
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 03:54:56 PM »

I knew that

So now you are arguing you should be open folding AQs with 15 bigs, soon to be 10 bigs ?

no

the specifics of the example hand are irrelevant to the more general query

Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 04:22:34 PM »

I knew that

no

the specifics of the example hand are irrelevant to the more general query

What is the query again?

As I see it you are asking whether raise calling AQs in an unopened pot with 15bbs (10 in the next hand) with running antes is bad..

HI HELEN!
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 04:27:31 PM »

This is such a beginners types question! But,

Where do we stand on AQ?

Top 10 hands?

I have a weak spot where this hand is concerned - it seems that whenever I hold it I lose; whenever I run into it, I lose.

I try to treat it as having it's statistical strength and will always raise with it from late position, but how about early / mid position
How do I handle a re-raise?

eg - £50FO at DTD last night.
Last hand of Level 7 300/600/50
When we come back it's 400/800/100

I have 9500 and raise to 1800 from MP with   - chip leader re-raises to 5,000. His stack has been up and down but he's accumulating now after a couple of big pots and has already shown a bluff/draw when he raised my flop bet and I folded earlier.

Is the raise ok? It feels right, but I wonder if I'm over-rating the hand.

As played, what do I do? - a fold now means I'm below 10BBs and have antes to cope with too.

See above

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: