blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 03:32:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272671 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: Aledkanny
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  To Call or not to call
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: To Call or not to call  (Read 6600 times)
the sicilian

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2008, 03:32:03 AM »

£250 Luton  10K Starting 45min Clock... 2 day event

blinds 100 200

EP with 25K raises to 800  2 callers me SB    ... I have played extremely tight in the first few levels this is perhaps only the fourth hand i have played..I reraise to 3200  original raiser confidently moves me allin....other 2 pass

I still have over 7K blinds 100-200

Call or Fold

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 04:03:48 AM »

Looks like a call to me unless original raiser is a total nit who does with aa and kk only. You are getting nearly 2 to 1, so if his range inc qq that is the right odds.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 10:50:25 AM »

If i rr that much pre i deffo snap call a shove. Probs i make it 2200 and call/fold depending on player (only person i might fold to is tighty).
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 12:41:39 PM »

Now u see boys is this the way to play a 2 day tournament Huh?

im racing at best pos dominated with 35 BB lleft and a long structure with low blinds..... is calling my whole tournament in this situation in these conditions a good play...i dont think so... i got my answer by a very quick and confident re re raise. allin I know im up against a big made hand. the beautiful thing about this game is that there is no exact way to play which is correct....

A preponsity to over play an unmade hand that is possibly crushed is a sign of a cash or internet player not a tourney player..why race here at this point of the tournament..why in such a rush to get 10k in the middle with ace high???.

As an example in the Jan main event facing young Ben vinson i 3 betted AQ on a rag queen high flop and got moved in for my tourney...i know Ben is capable of doing this with air but his demeanour screamed strength ..i finally passed even though i had a lot of children in the pot and odds wise it wouldnt have been a bad call...i then went on to win the event

i still have plenty of chips with a good enough game to easily come back and figure i can find a better spot and do not need to squander my whole tourney on such a gamble.....which i do 1 orbit later catching Jeff Buff of all people making a move as a 3-1 fav....which i lose lol.

im crippled to 1200 but good enough to come back to 6k b4 getting cold decked in an unraised pot..but im running bad at mo lol

Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 01:16:44 PM »

im racing at best pos dominated with 35 BB lleft and a long structure with low blinds..... is calling my whole tournament in this situation in these conditions a good play...i dont think so... i got my answer by a very quick and confident re re raise. allin I know im up against a big made hand. the beautiful thing about this game is that there is no exact way to play which is correct....

A preponsity to over play an unmade hand that is possibly crushed is a sign of a cash or internet player not a tourney player..why race here at this point of the tournament..why in such a rush to get 10k in the middle with ace high???.

As an example in the Jan main event facing young Ben vinson i 3 betted AQ on a rag queen high flop and got moved in for my tourney...i know Ben is capable of doing this with air but his demeanour screamed strength ..i finally passed even though i had a lot of children in the pot and odds wise it wouldnt have been a bad call...i then went on to win the event

i still have plenty of chips with a good enough game to easily come back and figure i can find a better spot and do not need to squander my whole tourney on such a gamble.....which i do 1 orbit later catching Jeff Buff of all people making a move as a 3-1 fav....which i lose lol.

im crippled to 1200 but good enough to come back to 6k b4 getting cold decked in an unraised pot..but im running bad at mo lol

Im not sure why you have posted this hand then to be honest.

As

1) You appear to be suggesting that you had a monster read which no one on this forum can obtain by reading the op.

2) You wanted to go on some sermon about how all us "internet" players can't play tourneys (we do have tourneys on the internet you know) and don't understand subtle stuff like "you only have ace high" and "i can wait for a better spot, coz iz has skillz 35bb deep to kill this tourney".

Pab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 02:01:29 PM »

If you are thinking about folding then why RR so much.

Turning your hand into a bluff is terrible in this spot imo, If im squeezing im calling a shove unless its against beth shak who starts high fiving other players and dancing while im thinking about it. You may as well have 72o if you are going to RR fold the original raiser

Flat calling is probably the route I go down, fairly early in the tournament with nno antes and the raise coming from early position. If u hit your hand its fairly well disgusied and you should be able to extract a fair amount of value from weaker Ax or Kx holdings.

just my 2 cents but im just an internet player that has a propensity to overplay an unmade hand

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 02:06:45 PM »

Im not sure why you have posted this hand then to be honest.

As

1) You appear to be suggesting that you had a monster read which no one on this forum can obtain by reading the op.

2) You wanted to go on some sermon about how all us "internet" players can't play tourneys (we do have tourneys on the internet you know) and don't understand subtle stuff like "you only have ace high" and "i can wait for a better spot, coz iz has skillz 35bb deep to kill this tourney".

That made me chuckle.

I can see what you're saying about only having ace high but if that's your opinion then why would you reraise to 16 BBs with it?

What flop were you hoping to see or were you just trying to steal his raise?

If I put a third of my stack in I'm not doing it with anything that I'm not snap calling a shove with, that's a sure fire way of giving away chips.

You also say you're "racing at best". What's wrong with a race when you're getting 2 to 1 on your money?

Definite lecture / brag post imo  Wink

+ a bad beat at the end to cap it off.........

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 02:08:46 PM »

Turning your hand into a bluff is terrible in this spot imo, If im squeezing im calling a shove unless its against beth shak who starts high fiving other players and dancing while im thinking about it. You may as well have 72o if you are going to RR fold the original raiser

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 03:40:33 PM »

I am a tournament player, my preference is for the live game, and I would call here. The scenario of the push must surely have been considered before the re-raise was made, and so if i'm raising here it means I have already addressed and answered that question. If I am not sure how I would answer this question I would just call and answer it after the flop. Your oppos confidence in his hand could be down to him having Q-Q or A-K for e.g. Or his confidence in his hand could stem from the fact that your 4X the raise bet is too big for a powerhouse hand. Re-squeezing early with confidence vs a tight oppo's likely A-K with 4-4 is actually a move we should all aspire to.

sicilian, your strat is a puzzler for me. You have quite a negative attitude towards A-K in your second post and this makes me wonder why you put a third of your stack in with it? There are indeed a lot of negatives and I agree with all of them. It is early, you are oop, there is a good deal of ep interest, you have time....so why did you raise? If you don't like overplaying an unmade hand why did you overplay one? I don't get it. While overcommitting to a hand may be bad in tournament poker it is still better than sitting on the fence.

Pab's post was very good and I choose the call route as well. There are a lot of reasons why I choose this strat, some of which he mentioned. But one thing is for certain. If I raise here I have already decided to commit to a push despite what my spidey senses tell me when my oppo applies maximum pressure. Your oppos confidence balances your doubt quite nicely imo.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 04:31:32 PM by MANTIS01 » Logged

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 04:30:58 PM »

Or his confidence in his hand could stem from the fact that your 4X the raise bet is too big for a powerhouse hand. Re-squeezing early with confidence vs a tight oppo's likely A-K with 4-4 is actually a move we should all aspire to.

I like this a lot.

Expect a big complaint when I try it and it goes all wrong  Grin

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 08:41:38 PM »

Call for me. If you're gonna make it 3200 then pass that's weak IMO. Get it in. Your gambling probably.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 08:48:26 PM »

I can see all what you say..and perhaps theres a bit more background to it that i pointed out...first the ep is well known to me and reknown for raising light also one of the callers is reknown for calling reraises light..i guess in my mind i wanted to take the pot down there and then and was totally taken by surprise by the re re raise ..very quick very confident...  also have run so bad since vegas confidence is fairly low and OP was written after returning..

Personally the re raise might have been a bit heavy but even so i feel the fold was the best play especially as i got my money in a little later as a large fav...

Compo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 09:34:18 PM »

The problem was that you looked so uncomfortable re-raising it was looked reasonably certain you would fold to a re-re-raise. I like the move if you are prepared to shove to another raise otherwise why raise? I think this highlights a common poker problem where players don't think through the consequence of any action they take.

as an aside can i take it you will be folding to any re-raise unless you hold  AA?   Smiley
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 09:40:42 PM »

The problem was that you looked so uncomfortable re-raising it was looked reasonably certain you would fold to a re-re-raise. I like the move if you are prepared to shove to another raise otherwise why raise? I think this highlights a common poker problem where players don't think through the consequence of any action they take.

as an aside can i take it you will be folding to any re-raise unless you hold  AA?   Smiley
The whole thing was situational...sunday night..wednesday night..insta call..but ive still got 7.5 k in a long slow structure...and sure enough a few hand later i get all my chips in as a massive favourite...which obv i lose..

cmon compo uv only witnessed a few of the beatings ive taken lately its no wonder im trigger shy  LOL

Horneris
#5 BH

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 10:07:27 PM »

This might be a fold because its a Live game so the club cards are black and jus look dull.

Online, they are green and look amazing like this:  , so this hand would be totally unfoldable.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: