blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 05:51:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272657 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Petrol Prices - Are they to high - What can we do about it.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Petrol Prices - Are they to high - What can we do about it.  (Read 56356 times)
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: June 09, 2008, 01:12:48 PM »

It's called planning and not letting those charging more than others locally get away with it, still if people pay they will continue to take piss.

It's just easier though, i just pull of a motorway and fill up, i would rather pay a bit more for that convenience.

I am looking to get rid of my 4.0 litre though, obv going for a 4.7 lol

when I was looking for a car I looked at a 4.0 and a 5.3 litre...quite happy i decided to be sensible (read; MrsB made me be sensible) and went with a 2.8 now lol

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
ItsMrAlex2u

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 09, 2008, 01:19:46 PM »

It's called planning and not letting those charging more than others locally get away with it, still if people pay they will continue to take piss.

It's just easier though, i just pull of a motorway and fill up, i would rather pay a bit more for that convenience.

Love it. LoL

Best QM ever

FACT !
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 09, 2008, 01:29:22 PM »

I am going against the trend, what as big a carbon footprint as i can get, let the world know i was here!

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: June 09, 2008, 01:33:09 PM »

Good work!!  What mpg do you get out of it? 

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 09, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »

Sometimes top 17.....nah can get like 21/22 on the motorway around 15-16 in town

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: June 09, 2008, 06:47:41 PM »

Sometimes top 17.....nah can get like 21/22 on the motorway around 15-16 in town

Im with Flushy i get about 12-14 mpg and 20 on the highway

The yanks are talking about $5 p/g by the end on the month. What is the talk in the UK of how high the prices will go from here?

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
ItsMrAlex2u

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 09, 2008, 08:11:55 PM »

We have a BMW X3 and its a permanent 17 mpg living in Jersey. (only a poxy 3 ltr, sorry Flushy)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 08:17:42 PM by ItsMrAlex2u » Logged

Best QM ever

FACT !
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 09, 2008, 08:14:07 PM »

I've heard diesel will top £2 a litre by the end of the year, with petrol 25-50p a litre cheaper. No idea how true that is... I'm not an expert on such matters!

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 09, 2008, 08:23:51 PM »

I've heard diesel will top £2 a litre by the end of the year, with petrol 25-50p a litre cheaper. No idea how true that is... I'm not an expert on such matters!

the thing is, nobody is an expert on such matters.

we were told for about 3 years that fuel was just about to top the £1 mark and it's only just happened.

it's all pure speculation

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
Rooky9

TheAuditor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: June 09, 2008, 08:28:03 PM »

What we need is a war to gain some oil reserves of our own. We already have the capacity to refine it.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: June 09, 2008, 08:48:45 PM »

Big article in the Independent today..some fuel expert claiming hat there is actually a LOT more oil in reserves than is currently said by the Oil companies...aparrently the calculations for oil reserves is completely messed up.but it suits to oil companies to do it this way.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
gatso
Ninja Mod

Let's go round again

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 09, 2008, 09:46:06 PM »

Big article in the Independent today..some fuel expert claiming hat there is actually a LOT more oil in reserves than is currently said by the Oil companies...aparrently the calculations for oil reserves is completely messed up.but it suits to oil companies to do it this way.

yeah, it can only only be guesswork anyway as large areas are still unsurveyed

If you get to the yeasty clunge you've gone too far
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 09, 2008, 10:52:39 PM »

america apparently has trillions of barrels of oil in shale but it's too enviromentally damaging to get it out
rajkan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #403 on: June 10, 2008, 06:08:41 PM »

A planned four day strike by 500 oil tanker drivers has been attacked by Downing Street as the Government urged motorists not to panic buy fuel amid fears of petrol shortages.

Members of the Unite union employed by two firms working on Shell contracts are due to walk out from 6am on Friday until 6am the following Tuesday in a pay dispute which could hit one in 10 filling stations across the UK.

Talks aimed at resolving the row are due to be held at a secret location under the chairmanship of the conciliation service Acas, but time is running out to break the deadlocked row.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown's spokesman said contingency plans were in hand to minimise disruption using new measures put in place last week. He told reporters: "We believe that this strike is unnecessary and we would want to ensure that nothing was done that inconvenienced the public. But the most responsible thing the public can do is to continue to buy as normal."

Bernie Holloway, spokesman for Hoyer, the biggest of the two transport companies involved in the dispute, said it was "disappointing" that Unite had rejected an improved pay offer last week. "We believe this was a very good offer that would take the average drivers' pay up to around £39,000," he said.

The company said its improved offer, made during a meeting last week, was worth 6.8%.

Unite repeated its call for Shell to get involved in the dispute and stop "sitting on its hands".

A spokesman for the Business Department said it was "inevitable" that some petrol stations would run out of fuel if the industrial action went ahead. "If the strike were to affect other retailers it would have a more significant impact," he added.

Downing Street said contingency measures included allowing suppliers to share information about stocks without falling foul of competition laws. "The Government is working with the wider fuel industry on what could be done to reduce any disruption to the public and business," the PM's spokesman said.

Unite assistant general secretary Len McCluskey said: "Only Shell sets the terms of this contract and only it can solve this dispute. This is one of the most profitable companies on Earth and it now needs to provide the financial flexibility to avert this dispute. It is no use Shell bosses, who have themselves enjoyed 15%-plus pay increases in the last year, sitting on their hands."

R Kanabar
rajkan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: June 10, 2008, 09:43:22 PM »

More Miles Per Gallon

Keep You Car in Good Shape
A regularly serviced car will be more efficient on fuel. There are several major factors to consider:

Keep tyres pumped up to the correct level, you can find the correct pressure for you vehicle from your vehicle handbook. If you do not have the handbook you should be able to find out the correct tyre pressure for your make and model from the sign next to the air at the petrol station.
Fuel economy can be improved by 5% by keeping your tyres inflating to the correct pressure and using the recommended motor oil.
Replace your air filter when necessary.
Use the recommended fuel and oil for your vehicle for best fuel efficiency.

Don't be Lazy
Avoid taking lots of short journeys where possible. Try and combine short trips so that once you warm up the engine, you keep it running for a while. Continually warming up your engine for lots of short errands will waste fuel.

Keeping Cool
Think about your in car ventilation. Try not to excessively use your air conditioning as this will cause your car to burn more fuel. On the other hand, driving with the windows down is also inefficient as the drag on the car increases, especially at high speeds. Use air conditioning for motorway driving only when necessary and wind the windows down on slower journeys.

Safer and Slower

Avoid erratic driving. By flooring the accelerator at the lights when in a rush or slamming on the brakes when driving too fast you will increase your cars fuel consumption. Try and accelerate and brake smoothly and steadily to improve fuel economy as well as your road safety.

Drive at the recommended speed. If you drive too fast you will soon notice your fuel gauge dropping just as quickly. Every 5 miles per hour that you drive over 60mph can reduce your fuel economy by 10%.

Lose Excess Weight
Avoid driving with an unnecessarily full car. An empty roof rack or a full boot will add to your fuel consumption.

Avoid Idling
Avoid excessive idling of your engine. Many people run their engines whilst stationary in order to warm them up but the car is then consuming fuel but not going anywhere. If waiting somewhere for more than a few minutes, e.g. waiting to pick someone up or waiting in a non moving traffic jam then it is often more economical to switch the engine off. Idling also adds to pollution.

Top Gear
Drive in the correct gear. Most fuel is consumed in the lower gears when starting as more power is needed but when driving at higher speeds you should drive in the highest gear possible for best fuel economy.

Keep It Clean

Keep your car clean. It’s not all about looking good! Apparently a washed and waxed car has better aerodynamics which improves fuel economy. This would really apply to longer journeys at higher speeds and may not be a huge amount, but every little helps!

R Kanabar
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 35 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: