blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 09:47:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272675 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16724 Members
Latest Member: CassioParra
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  NBA Betting
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NBA Betting  (Read 41645 times)
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2012, 08:00:43 PM »

Of all the sports I have ever bet on or booked seriously basketball is the one I have struggled most to make pay.  I think part of it is that there simply isn't the masses of mug punters blindly betting the overhyped teams like in the NFL and because it isn't a sport I was brought up with the more fundamental handicapping is harder and I have had to teach myself.  Couple of things I have found useful though:

1. Team news is key and the UK bookies don't respond quick enough.  Players like Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Carmelo, Dwight Howard etc are worth 3 or 4 points to a team and if you get the news as it comes out you can beat the moves here (although probably not with the US books) but your accounts won't last long.  It is also worth looking at going under totals on this kind of news as that moves a tiny bit slower but is generally worth less (prob max 2.5 points).  As I mentioned before half a point is roughly worth and, unlike the NFL/CFB they are all worth the same so if you can get 10/11 1.5 points off the general US line then it is pretty much worth betting blind.  13 or 13 years ago a couple of mates of mine that went on to make very significant amounts of money punting built their original banks by finding an Asian bookie that didn't move their lines in line with the US market.  It is no exaggeration to say they made decent six figure sums in a couple of years without knowing hardly anything about the sport.

2. The Asian books now take the most money on NBA like they do on soccer and the moves happen there first so if you look at someone like www.sbo.com or www.ibcbet.com and see a big difference then it is probably worth following.

3. Pace of game is important and certain teams seem to be able to control the pace of the game so when a team that averages 210 points per game plays a team which averages 180 and the total is 195 if you can figure out which style will dominate then it is valuable info.

4. Scheduling is massive and will be more so this year.  Teams on road trips where they play 4 games in five nights on the road invariably can't play well the whole time and if they have to go through OT and play the following night it is very tough to play up to their power ratings.  Also teams that play the big teams, which this year are probably Boston, Miami and Lakers struggle to get up the game after especially if it is the next night and they have run the big team close.

5.  In general NBA is like the other American sports in that actual teams ability is less important in betting than the situations and motivational issues.

Hope this helps a bit but like I said I have always found it harder than other sports to make pay.  Oh and definitely trebles....please.

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2012, 12:08:29 AM »

Thanks red.....all good stuff.....  Trebles it is as u r a proper punter.

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2012, 10:36:05 AM »

portland -8.5

magic -2.5
magic over 174.5

thunder over 183.5
bulls over 183.5

thunder over 183.5
bulls over 183.5
hornets +6.5
wizards Over 190.5

Portland makes the spread...

important lesson learnt..... when a superior team plays a weak team and gets way in front they stick their 2nd string in for say final qtr..which is logical i suppose..however the effect on points and spread is marked..

Last night both Thunder mainly..pulled their starters when cruising to the overs...2nd string then managed to go for about 2/15...same to a degree 76er's...This killed the overs when I was already counting them in  Sad

Bulls had their starman Derrick rose back from injury and cruised to the overs and hornets come through for me for the 3rd time in a row.

Big shock of the night was the performance of the Magic.... woeful would be putting it mildly..they shot 24 % from the field this from a team that averages 45%... watching the game it was almost embarrassing as they missed shot after easy shot and turned over the ball some 25 times... ( around double average ) .

for a pro NBA team to score 56 points (especially one as talented as the Magic ) is nothing short of twilight zone and made an ordinary looking Celtics look worldbeaters. The Celtics themselves missed way to many shots but to their credit they played pressure defence very well. Celtics are desperate to get one of their stars Rondo back on the court to control the offense especially for 3 pointers and setup.

Magic go to Indiana tonight and are quoted as slight dogs..think i will hold off and see what kind of performance they put in after last night..it will either be the same or they will bounce straight back and put it on Indiana..although the Pacers def no pushover.  Magic host the Celtics in a rematch Thursday in Orlando.... may be an interesting rematch

So a marginal profit on the card as had the single for bigger money than the doubles and 4 fold...

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2012, 08:30:30 PM »

Single
heat -10.5

treble :
bobcats + 7.5
suns -3.5
suns total under 191.5

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2012, 11:37:49 AM »

Single
heat -10.5

treble :
bobcats + 7.5
suns -3.5
suns total under 191.5

Bit of a washout last night..heat lacklustre without one of their stars and made a meal of beating a very ordinary Cav's
bobcats got ahnialated lol

i run good..suns have won 14 straight v the raptors since 2001 winning by an average of 13 points..raptors have one of the worst records in the NBA..but last night was the night they decided to play like superstars and turn the Suns over....

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2012, 11:39:17 PM »

Denver -4.5

Heat -6.5
bulls - 6.5

Heat -6.5
bulls - 6.5
denver 4.5

Hornets +15
Denver -4.5

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2012, 03:10:31 PM »

Denver -4.5

Heat -6.5
bulls - 6.5

Heat -6.5
bulls - 6.5
denver 4.5

Hornets +15
Denver -4.5

Heat playing way below par and let a 10 point lead slip late letting the lowly pistons in to make it too close at the death. As a side note the Magic's chris Bosh is a truly awesome player, however James one of their other stars although obviousley an incredible talent is a hugely selfish player often taking a difficult shot himself rather than laying off to a team mate for the easy score. Seems incredibly arrogant but i suppose at 6 foot 8 and built like a brick shit house on a gazillion dollars a year you can afford to be...but he cost his team about 8 points last night through his play and me the spread...tosser !!

Bulls very disappointing at home with Rose back but Deng sidelined... Bulls seemed to be cruising at half time but run out of steam. Easy to see why Rose is last seasons MVP..incredible player !

So those two were pretty much locked as 11 point faves but despite me being nitty they failed to deliver a clean sweep.

Hornets hung around like a bad smell as expected even against the might of the thunders offense...5 times they have come through for me on a + bet and as i get a feel for the spreads these seem to be more of a better bet as most contests are very tight. Denver with their strong depth came steaming through the lamentable Kings as expected...had a late cheeky one on the clippers +5.5 that came through to perfection... So a tidy profit stopped from being a great night by two big faves not coming through.

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2012, 03:41:26 PM »

Only 2 games tonight...

Have Celtics +11

added to a double over 172.5

In Orlando and after good win in Indiana the magic seem to be firing again..with a days rest expect a good performance in the return v the Celtics... the Celtics themselves haven't played since the easy victory over the magic on Monday so should be well rested for the visit to Florida. Starman Rondo is a possible starter ....

So I have the Celtic as a nitty +11 in which should be a close encounter.... famous last words...

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2012, 10:44:31 AM »

Only 2 games tonight...

Have Celtics +11

added to a double over 172.5

In Orlando and after good win in Indiana the magic seem to be firing again..with a days rest expect a good performance in the return v the Celtics... the Celtics themselves haven't played since the easy victory over the magic on Monday so should be well rested for the visit to Florida. Starman Rondo is a possible starter ....

So I have the Celtic as a nitty +11 in which should be a close encounter.... famous last words...

Nice single and double last night on the improving Celtics as their Veterans begin to find some fitness.... didn't look good early on as the magic raced to a 29 point lead and Boston seemed reluctant to go to the post..preferring to shoot long distance.
Clawback began late in the 2nd qtr and continued all the way through the 2nd half as the Celtics played some of the best defense witnessed so far in this shortened season. the Magic got called on a couple of technicals ( basically yellow cards that result in a free shot ) mainly for abusing the refs as they became more and more frustrated.

Called the overs nicely to as Celtics run out 91- 83 winners Smiley

Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2012, 10:50:19 AM »

If you like NBA you gotta get into betting on college basketball, much more exciting
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2012, 11:01:14 AM »

If you like NBA you gotta get into betting on college basketball, much more exciting

Yep possibly..still getting my head around NBA...the college scene from the outside looks mucho complicated with the divisons and the ranking and the politics involved.... you got to love college football/basketball etc..... the big coaches on multi million dollar deals.

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2012, 09:54:43 PM »

Thunder -3.5

Knicks +13.5
Bucks +14

Hornets +6
Celtics +5

Knicks +13.5
Bucks +14
Hornets +6
Celtics +5
warriors +6.5

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2012, 08:32:04 AM »

Thunder -3.5

Knicks +13.5
Bucks +14

Hornets +6
Celtics +5

Knicks +13.5
Bucks +14
Hornets +6
Celtics +5
warriors +6.5

A good card ... 1 result from a clean sweep...had a toss up between Denver -10.5 and warriors +6.5..obv went the for the wrong one but pleasing nights work . New Orleans fast becoming my favourite team like my beloved saints in NFL..  They been threatening to turn in a good result and as redarmi alluded to earlier amount of games and tiredness can be a big factor. The magic I think suffered from this . Also Toronto had their star italian back the last 2 games which they win..his a deadly 3point shooter.. I noticed he reagravates the injury and misses last night... Toronto. Tumble to usual heavy loss..his out for a while so I expect Toronto to suffer accordingly
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 09:08:56 AM by the sicilian » Logged

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2012, 10:45:07 AM »

I love the Hornets, they just keep getting it done.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2012, 10:27:51 PM »

wizards -1.5

jazz -7.5

philly over 173.5
knicks under 198

rockets -5.5
miwaulkee +7.5

wizards -1.5
jazz -7.5
rockets -5.5